Ideas For "rainy Day" Games

megan_

I'm always on the look-out for indoor games to play with my two. I have no real garden to speak of (it is all decking) and the entire house is floorboards with no rugs or carpets, so I need games that don't involve a lot of running (lest they slip).

At the moment, I am playing a targeting game with one of these:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...p;ParentCat=133

They both know how to target, so that was easy. I now crate them, hide the target and then release them with "find it! find it!". They run and find the target, nose to the red thingie then get a click and treat.

Fergus looooves this game and runs around the house in a furious hunt. I need to lead Lucy around a bit and make it easier for her.

I also hide a water bottle with some sardines in it (with a few small holes punched) and get them to hunt that.

I'm looking for some more game ideas, hopefully ones that are pretty simple so my speshul girl can play too. Any suggestions?

I love playing hide and seek. You hiding, the dog finding you. You have to have a bit of energy for it though. It can be a good chance to work on stays too. If you have two dogs it can be a problem, especially if one is a 'dobber' :D !

What JulesP suggests ..... retrieving 'named' toys from a pile of them. And even hiding them and getting your dog to find them (by name, on command). That's what I do. Started doing that in one room only and made it really easy (only a couple of toys and in easy to see places). Now I hide them in more difficult spots. He's finding that a bit easy too, and soon I'll need to begin expanding search areas to include other rooms. My boy finds this game extremely satisfying 'mental stimulation wise'.

Slippery floors and dogs don't mix IMO. I have polished floor boards. I bought a whole lot of rubber backed carpet when I got my boy as a pup. I thought back then it would only be until he matured and stopped acting out like the loony pup that he was. He's 2.5yo now. I'm still waiting :) . (Note : I actually like having the rubber backed carpet there. It doesn't look as swish as my floor boards do, but it is great that I can muck around play/training with my boy inside when it is more convenient for me to do so.

Erny,

Party pooper!! Having dogs slip into funiture on slippery floors, does not worry the dogs. What is broken furniture and articles on such items, to dogs? I call them diversions, distractions etc.

Returning to us on slippery floors is another matter. My poor body.

I did a lot of shaping games - especially in conjunction with balance/strengthening/stretching work for agility. Balance discs and foot pods - shaped Zee to have a foot on each foot pod. Two feet on one disc and two feet on another, stretching and contracting etc.

My flooring is all boards or tiles, my kitchen now has those square mats that you join together which has been great for this type of work. Looks tacky but it does the job :thumbsup:

Another thing my dog enjoys on cold/rainy days is work on an exercise ball. I stabilize the ball and she will stand, sit, lay down as she got more experience I let the ball wiggle more, she gets lots of treats and it works on all her stabilizer mussels.

I did a lot of shaping games - especially in conjunction with balance/strengthening/stretching work for agility. Balance discs and foot pods - shaped Zee to have a foot on each foot pod. Two feet on one disc and two feet on another, stretching and contracting etc.

Where's the best place to buy these from?