Seizures- Dog Fits

mutt lover

The other night my old girl Lady fell off my bed and what I saw her muscles twitching and her head seemed to be twitched sideways and she was shaking, My first thought was perhaps she was having a fit but also thought as this has never happened before maybe she'd just pulled a muscle.

I took her into dark room covered her eyes and just soothed her until she stopped trembling and kept massaging her until she seemed ok. As she is on monthly arthritis injections she also has liquid metacam when she needs it so I gave her some of this to help relax her muscles and after a while she was back to her bouncy self.

Last night was on computer and she was sitting on her matt next to me and same thing happened again so I now know that she is obviously started having fits, My question is should i take her to vet now and get some medication or do you only medicate if they have them everyday?

After about an hour when she's rested and feels more relaxed she is back to her usual happy self and is otherwise ok can still get up and go outside to toilet and is eating well and I don't feel it is time yet to give her her wings that's for sure but I think I may need some medication myself if I don't get some advice.

sorry to hear yr old friend is having turns ,how old is she ?

My advise would be to get a vet check ,also record each *turn*lenth of each ,& how often .

keep her quite after each event ,keep her away from any objects she could hurt her self on during a turn.

sorry to hear yr old friend is having turns ,how old is she ?

My advise would be to get a vet check ,also record each *turn*lenth of each ,& how often .

keep her quite after each event ,keep her away from any objects she could hurt her self on during a turn.

Hi Cockerlover- Lady is around 16/17 and other than arthritis she has been her normal happy self up until the other night.

I went and spoke to vet this morning and he said one or two not to panic but just like u said keep record if she has another one of length etc, said if she has any more he would recommend a blood test to check her kidney and liver function as at her age feels they may be packing up and also said that the medication to stop the turns is very very harsh on their liver and kidneys and wouldn't recommend it if she did have liver or kidney problems. told vet after the 2 turns she has had within an hour she is back to her usual bouncy self but as she is an old girl I guess I have to face the fact that maybe her time is coming soon although I was planning an 18th birthday party for her in June so told her to stop scaring me.

Yeah I did keep her quiet and sat with her in the dark room and covered her eyes and just patted and soothed her until she came good and fingers crossed that this wont be a regular thing.

My dear old dog Lady had another really bad turn on friday night it lasted for over an hour, rang the vet after hours no and was told to just keep her quiet and bring her in in the morning which I did.

Have now been told that because her turn lasted for around an hour that it she is def not having a fit, that is more like she is having mini strokes or could be a brain tumor. :rolleyes: Vet told me they can't do anything for her as if it was a fit they could give her medication but for strokes is nothing they can give her but said her heart sounded good and her gum colour was a nice healthy pink and if she is still eating ok then at this stage they don't think she is ready to be given her wings.

Last night she was fine didn't have a turn at all slept well and was brighter than she has been, today she is a bit off colour again hasn't had a turn or anything but just isn't herself so I guess all I can do at this stage is watch her closely and see if she improves or gets worse, oh vet said just to keep up the liquid metacam she has for arthritis as being an anti inflamm it will help relax her muscles and also if there is any inflammation in her brain.

I'm just praying that she does pick up but also have to face the fact that she is around 16/17 now and these couple of turns may have affected more than we can tell.

Well i'm happy to say my old girl has come good again, is still bit wobbly on her back legs but she was anyway but is just a bit more now. She came good yesterday went outside to toilet in morning and proceeded to chase a bird off the front lawn :) so figured she obviously feeling a lot better and is even barking demanding her dinner again, so hopefully there is still a bit more life in the ol girl yet, and I got her a bowen massage yesterday also which has also seemed to help but I guess with an old dog is only a matter of time before It happens again, but for now I'm over the moon just to have my girl back feeling well again. ;)

:laugh: lets hope she has plenty of life left in her .

Thanks 'Cockerlover' :laugh:

:laugh: from me to!

Thanks 'dianed and cockerlover' ;) Happy to say Lady is still doing well was even chasing and eating the locusts outside the other night, (hope they tasted nice Lady) :laugh: here is a pic I took of her last week as she was getting over the seizure post-31607-1298887084_thumb.jpg

and this one I took yesterday I think she looks so much better! post-31607-1298887138_thumb.jpg

mutt lover, I definitely don't meant to alarm you, but my beautiful GSD boy died last January 2010 after a bout of seizures. He was 16 years old. He suffered a grand mal seizure initially that lasted about 5 mins then a heap of smaller ones during the day as we waited for the vet to come. Unfortunately we lost him that day. I didn't opt for autopsy at the time, but I wish I did. The vet told me it might have been a brain tumour or brain disease (?). I'll never know. Apart from the usual arthritis, he was fine....all tests were normal, so I can only go by what the vet told me.

If you have the inclination and the money perhaps get a CT scan done to see what may be going on???? It's a difficult one!

I hope Lady is doing well. Hugs to you both.

mutt lover, I definitely don't meant to alarm you, but my beautiful GSD boy died last January 2010 after a bout of seizures. He was 16 years old. He suffered a grand mal seizure initially that lasted about 5 mins then a heap of smaller ones during the day as we waited for the vet to come. Unfortunately we lost him that day. I didn't opt for autopsy at the time, but I wish I did. The vet told me it might have been a brain tumour or brain disease (?). I'll never know. Apart from the usual arthritis, he was fine....all tests were normal, so I can only go by what the vet told me.

If you have the inclination and the money perhaps get a CT scan done to see what may be going on???? It's a difficult one!

I hope Lady is doing well. Hugs to you both.

Sorry to hear about your dog Kelpie, 16 is a good age and it does sound like what happened to your dog is what happened to Lady also, my Vet didn't recommend a scan at her age said even if it did show a tumor or brain disease which all the symptoms point to said there is no treatment for it and at her age would be too much to put her through it to just monitor her weekly which we are doing and keep up the liquid meloxicam as being an anti inflammatory it may help the inflammation in her brain also.

I do realize she could have another bad turn and not come out of it vet said same also and to just enjoy the time I have left with her, so far she hasn't had any more seizures and is eating well and still barking when she wants to go outside to toilet so until the inevitable happens I will just enjoy every day she is still with me as I really think even she is fighting to stay with me also, and vet said he wants invitation to her 18th birthday in June :hug:

• 3 weeks later...

Well Lady is astounding vets and me, she is back to her old demanding bossy self again :rofl:, she hasn't had anymore seizures and vet says she may not have anymore that sometimes they don't so fingers crossed she will continue to do well, she is on the meloxicam every night now which I wasn't wanting but I guess at her age as long it's making her more comfortable for now than I guess that's all that matters as I'm just so very very happy to have my little angel back to her normal cheeky self ! :thumbsup:

post-31607-1300871778_thumb.jpg