Macro Photo's

Frodo's mum

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By memory some might have a whisker off one side, Im not the best at always getting the composition spot on in camera. I use lightroom to edit and shoot in raw so all photos have slight tweaks and sharpen but didn't need to do much to these at all.

I have a heck of a lot to learn then... lol!

My only experience to date is with a zoom lens - and obviously the new macro lens works completely differently...

Any tips on how to get pics like yours would be very much appreciated... *grin*

T.

You're off to a great start with your new lens T :thumbsup: and lovely fungi shots tlc :D

Finally edited the last pics of my Net-Casting Spider. I released her last weekend as she looked like she was going to lay a 3rd egg sac, so she is now somewhere in my garden and has hopefully laid her egg sac out there.

I've kept her first two, so will be keeping a watch on them, they hatch out in the spring apparently.

Full set here - http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFaGGVY :)

9377422800_2d78e1728b_z.jpg

9374641123_0ce3e59180_z.jpg

9377422594_7ee145b34d_z.jpg

9374640655_694816e7a3_z.jpg

9374640719_e2409f247c_z.jpg

Fascinating shots CC... I'm scared of spiders, but your little lady is actually quite cute.

Don't think I'd be getting that close to many spiders though... I'm a bit of a girlie when they start scuttling...

T.

I have a heck of a lot to learn then... lol!

My only experience to date is with a zoom lens - and obviously the new macro lens works completely differently...

Any tips on how to get pics like yours would be very much appreciated... *grin*

T.

Mmm tips, not sure I'm the right person to be asking. :laugh: I've still got a lot to learn.

So far I have learnt, not to use a wide aperture, if you have enough light head towards f/11 even a bit higher. You will still get good depth of field as you are so close to the subject and closing your aperture down will give you more of your subject in focus.

I don't like using a tripod but of course it will help and easy if you have a still subject.

Use a slower shutter speed and higher iso to compensate for the aperture being closed down. If you are in really low light try your flash. (there is a special ring flash you can get for macro. I don't have one)

Don't do macro when it's windy :laugh: I use manual focus and focus on my subject, this is tricky but if you sway your subject will go in and out of focus you have more chance to get it right as with auto focus it will refocus everytime you press the shutter.

If doing hand held, and slower shutter speed try resting against something to steady yourself. With the fungus shots, I was laying on the ground and although holding the camera had my arms firmly on the ground.

I have found light to be the most important thing I guess like with all photography its all about the light. Light your subject and you will see so much difference, try not to cover your subject with your body, let the sun in on it.

Just remember that the focal plane is so narrow so focus on the exact thing you are wanting to be your main subject.

Hope some of thats been helpful, you will figure most of it out as you go along. Are you shooting in Manual mode? It will make a big difference.

Whoops forgot to mention great shots CC.

I nearly broke my leg jumping off a stool I was standing on to get some spider shots one night, I couldnt find the spider in my view finder, moved my camera and the dam spider was about 2 inches from my face, boy did I move quick! :rofl:

This was the offending spider!

file-39.jpg

file-40.jpg

You could also set some shots up to practice, this one was for a bokeh challenge in one of my photography groups.

untitled3of9_zps054925dc.jpg

The bokeh in the background was made form one of those lamps with the little holes in it to make the light come through.

Don't forget to try your macro lens for other things, it can make a good portrait lens and I have used mine for action lots before I got my 70-200.

My shots were taken on a windy afternoon in full Auto mode... *grin*

I suppose I didn't do too badly considering... lol!

I'm pretty steady when hand holding the camera - you learn that when taking long zoom shots in lowish light... errr!

I actually haven't pulled out the macro lens since that first attempt... kinda got sidetracked by going to the Zoo TWICE this weekend. Seriously, I'm thinking of getting the 100-400mm lens for Zoo work - will be able to get really good Chimp and Gorilla shots with one of those methinks.

I will get back to the macro at some point, just gotta get me some inspiration first...

T.

Well keep up the good work, I am dabbling in Landscape and HDR at the moment, I know it is not everyones cup of tea but it's something different. Ill be really interested in hearing how you like the 100-400 if you get it, lots of mixed reviews out there I guess like anything. I'm happy with the 70-200 for my dog action shots but might want something a bit longer down the track.

MY Facebook Page is here if you wanna have a look at some of my recent stuff.

There are some shots on here that I really LOVE!! :) Clever peoples :)

I am being very different, and endeavouring to get half decent macros using the iphone and little lens ... it's great fun, as there is such a limited D O F :D Love the challenge :p

here's one from yesterday , taken as I was lying in the lovely green and growing things we have here at present :)

9370968018_d3a0c9d8a2_z.jpg

Cool spidey shots tlc, and love that shot pers, amazing it was from an iPhone :D

Three more jumpers from Sunday morning, the last one was a new one to me and so, so tiny - only about 3-4mm in length! It was hard to get a shot as it was very active, so it's not the best but it's colours were amazing, totally iridescent!

9398552521_d174d83956_z.jpg

9401318382_3edfb46159_z.jpg

9398552383_300fa2af04_z.jpg

Awesome, did you use the flash for any of these? I have been meaning to ask you how do you like your YN flash? is it ok? easy to use? I got a Canon 430exii but I want another one so I can use off camera and was thinking about getting a YN.

Thanks Pers :)

Awesome, did you use the flash for any of these? I have been meaning to ask you how do you like your YN flash? is it ok? easy to use? I got a Canon 430exii but I want another one so I can use off camera and was thinking about getting a YN.

No these were all in morning light, but the Net-casting spider ones were with the YN flash. I've found it a great flash, but I haven't done anything too technical with it. It does HSS and off camera sync :)

You have the 7D don't you? The 6D needs a trigger to set it off camera, it doesn't have it built in like the 7D. Which one did you end up getting? I have another friend who has one and he has had Canon and he said it is fantastic and they are so much cheeper.

• 1 month later...