Of Mice And Dogs

Gayle.

Interesting start to the day here. I went to pour the bag of chook pellets into a bucket so I could feed the chooks. Out fell a mouse, into the bucket. 

I stood there and screamed, no idea why as it was just a little mouse. Then I realised I had three dogs with me and they could deal with the mouse. 

So I put the bucket on the ground, Benson put his face in it, picked up the mouse very gently between his teeth and placed it on the ground and let the damn thing go!

That wasn't what I meant by "deal with it!"

Anouk has no problem wanting to get the mouse, but when one gets woken up at 1.30am by either her in the garage upsetting things or a very noisy burglar and goes to investigate and sees Anouk with her head in a plastic bucket oblivious to the fact that the mouse has fled (we saw it), she lacks execution...

Terrier fail.

picked up the mouse very gently between his teeth and placed it on the ground and let the damn thing go!

That is exactly what my dog does with them.

Except when it makes a break for safety, she gently picks it up and puts it back - in the middle of the lawn again, and again and by then it's shocked enough I can catch and dispatch. Sigh.

It's got to the point where I just dispatch them first.

And I want my friend's border terriers to come visit. She has zero mice or rats in her back yard.

Benson just looked completely puzzled when the mouse took off. I think he was hoping it might stick around for a play.

The other two dogs just stood there with vacant looks on their faces. Maybe 7.15 am is too early for mouse eradication.

Benson just looked completely puzzled when the mouse took off. I think he was hoping it might stick around for a play.

The other two dogs just stood there with vacant looks on their faces. Maybe 7.15 am is too early for mouse eradication.

Bring their morning coffees forward to 6.30.

I know this is a dog forum but this thread reminded me of when my Mum's cat caught a mouse and we were fighting over who was going to get it off him as he wouldnt give it up. We decided that I would hold him, while she grabbed the mouse out of his mouth by the tail which was hanging out the side. I picked him up and just as she went in for the grab he decided to drop it and it started darting everywhere! I ended up throwing the cat (whoops) then Mum and I ran around screaming, jumped on the lounge, woke my Dad up in the process, and got in lots of trouble for being too loud and acting like sooks!

We had a family of mice jump out of a cupboard once in front a cat and an Aussie Terrier. No reaction, I had to search them out and then my husband had to do the deed (with a heavy weight).

Current cat LOVES mice, she can keep them playing for hours. I hate that. She kills lizards quite quickly, but mice are toys not food.

you need to appreciate your dogs more ... a dog with such a good mouth it can pick up a mouse and let it go without causing it harm ... what do you think they were bred for :laugh: not attacking the animals they herd thats for sure

Diesel you have the same thing too do you not, herding breed :laugh:

I had to search them out and then my husband had to do the deed (with a heavy weight).

dont do that, thats horrific. If you dont know how to dispatch of mice quickly you're best to let them go far away from your place. Gas them, break their neck/spine etc but dont squash, freeze or drown its a terribly way to die

Edited by Nekhbet

Funny this topic should turn up now, my lab/kelpie/? cross just caught his first (as far as i'm aware) mouse yesterday, and I was quite grateful, it being in the house and all. I was rather surprised he got it, he tends to be a bit dopey at times. He took it outside and started playing around with it, let it go a few times, caught it again, but it wasn't going very far anymore at this stage. I took it off him and put it out of its misery. And he has been convinced all day there must be another one behind the stereo, although I can't see or hear anything.