Snake Chains

-Megz-

Just wondering what people find is the best brand of snake chains?

Some of them are pretty cheap and nasty to be honest and bend or snag after a few uses and the others have been perfect since purchase. I have no idea of the branding though and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

The skinnier the (choke) chain the more likely it is to do serious damage to a dog's neck.

I can't believe these things are allowed in show rings or on a dog at all.

You know what a wire garrott is? Why do you want to do that to your dog?

Wire or fine chain can be used to cut through flesh or cheese - why would you risk doing that to your dog?

I wish I knew Megz, the one I bought for Fern is still in perfect shape 3 years later and I have no idea of the brand. Only the gold colour has faded but it still suits her beautifully.

Mrs Rust Bucket you have no idea. I could show Fern on a piece of cotton. The chain is for looks.

The skinnier the (choke) chain the more likely it is to do serious damage to a dog's neck.

Wire or fine chain can be used to cut through flesh or cheese - why would you risk doing that to your dog?

:confused: You clearly do not know me. Risk my dogs?? ;) :o That's just hilarious.

Clarke the Pointer has been shown on the same lead since he arrived and before he left his previous home and has never so much as sooked on is, and he is not a light dog when he decides to bolt for a bird and puts all his weight into the chain.

If you know how to use them they cause less distress than a martingale does on a dog if used incorrectly.

Anything can cut through cheese really, I can do that with a plastic knife, as for skin I have had a dog spin a snake chain around my little finger and I was stuck for a short time and all I got was slight redness for about 30 seconds.

Edited by -Megz-

How fine do you think the chains are? I test all chains I buy on my own flesh and have no marks. :confused:

ANY collar or chain can do damage if used incorrectly. I've used fine chains on dogs who were shown on completely loose leads (chain sat on their shoulder blades the whole time) because the "check" allowed this much freedom. But there was no chance the dog would slip out of the lead in the case of an emergency.

Safe and humane.

mrs rustybucket, fine jewellers chains & snake chains are for the show ring only, they are very rarely even tightened, they are for looks and only on well trained dogs.

I have used full size check chains on my dogs as had my parents with danes for as long as we can remember.

Its HOW they are used that's important.

fifi

Well then I am very surprised there are no headless dogs trotting around the ring! :confused:

They are only used in the show ring and the dogs aren't actually choking themselves, majority of the time they are loose....

No help with brands, the only snake chain I have I got given too me, it's over 8 years old and still going strong.....just wish I knew the brand name!

:laugh: i'll tell my two rotti girls that will be shown on their snake collars tonight that they should be headless. one is never checked she beahvaes so well and on occasion the pup may get a rather slight correction its normally verbal though.

I got mine form the show ground show shop at canine and both cost about $50 no idea of brand though sorry.

they are both going strong

Seriously are you kidding or simply have no clue.

Megz i have found the snake chains not to last like they use too for the price especially the fine ones.The thicker are just to chunky.

I use the fine link now & they have lasted well

Mrs Rust Bucket you have no idea. I could show Fern on a piece of cotton. The chain is for looks.

Totally agree Rebanne....the snake chain is for looks only.... as it is a Dog Show...

It will still give you the confidence that if needed you can use it..but I am sure 99.9% times, its never needed for that purpose, just for the showing, and will be taken off as soon as the dog leaves the show ring. Obviously Mrs Rust Bucket, you dont show dogs or you would be well and truly aware of this.

As Rebanne said her Fern doesnt need any "correction" type leads, and if you look the lead is relaxed almost all of the time.

http://www.freewebs.com/dogmatters/pullingonleaddamage.htm

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/hawgood1.htm

http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-training-collar.html

It is basic physics ie you apply force over a narrow area ie a narrow chain, it causes more damage than same force applied over a wide area.

A dog's neck is a very sensitive area. It contains the dog's spinal cord.

If these things were purely for decoration - you could use a bit of gold wool thread that would break before any harm was done to the dog.

Only last Tuesday morning at my dog club a woman with a well behaved but somewhat DA Weimerana, was greeted enthusiastically by another not so well behaved Weim who had nicked off during a recall exercise. The woman grabbed both dogs by their choke collars and significantly damaged her own hands and would have done the same damage to the dog's neck. Physics again, the force would have been even across the chain around her fingers and the dog's neck. There was a lot of screaming involved.

So if you can guarantee your dog will never bolt to the end of the lead for any reason - use the wool. Why risk using a skinny chain? And yet I have read in here of heaps of dogs being attacked or rushed by other dogs at shows. And I'm sure even the most well behaved dogs would not remain calm and on a loose lead when being attacked by another. So even if your dog is perfect - not all dogs are, but it's still your dog that would suffer.

So where are all these dogs with neck lacerations and/or injuries due to being shown on a snake chain?? I see dozens of dogs being shown on this type of chain every weekend, never heard of a single incident yet.

To answer the original question, I'm not sure what brand mine are but I pay about $45 for them and the quality is good, never had any problems.

ETA: Just checked and mine are Prestige brand.

Edited by Miss B

Mrs Rustybucket, you are obviously relying on google and heresay.

My dogs are anything from 55-75kg, I show them on snake chains that are the width of a shoelace, snake chains DO break, they are not meant to hold weight, two of my best snake chains I've had for ten years....can you imagine them lasting if we strangled, beheaded, garrotted ect. the dogs with them ??!

I have mine on a webbing or walking check collar until we are ready to go into the ring, then I swap over. Mostly because mine get quite excited & happy to see their show mates & owners at ringside !!

why don't you actually visit a show & see for yourself there are no headless dogs in the ring, no pools of blood in marshalling areas.

fifi

edited to add; you mentioned the DA dog at training, it probably should have been in a halti or something that wouldn't cause injury to the dog & handler. You don't show dogs that are going to do that in the ring.

(well 99.9999 % don't !!!)

Edited by fifi

Yes, they slide more smoothly than larger link chains :-)

sorry to go OT Megs, I think one of mine might be Prestige brand. the others were from show buses over here, and I've always bought them in the hight price bracket as the cheapies have a spot weld in the end rings that is a very weak point.

Mrs RB, I'm a vet nurse, and have seen tracheal damage done to two dogs over many years, and both were inexperienced owners with a strong breed and no idea how to safely use the check chains.

(they just let the dogs strain in them for long periods without releasing pressure)

I've seen more damage done to working dogs left chained on leather leads at their kennel & on utes.

fifi

edited for clarity

Edited by fifi

Okay, I'll bite.

I looked at the first link (will admit that I didn't study the whole thing) this bit stood out:

There was no correlation between choke chain collars and back problems. No correlations were found in any of the three parts of the back (lumbar, thoracic, cervical).

Second link, the same. This bit stood out:

Obviously, the most dangerous chains are the long link chains.

Er, snake chains aren't long link, have you ever seen one?

Third link:

Collars may serve some purpose when used sparingly. A no bark collar senses barking before sending the equivalent of a static shock to the dog

So, snake chains are cruel, but shock collars are fine? I could google you all sorts of awful crap about shock collars, which I have no problem with BTW.

The majority of show people have a pretty good idea of how to handle their dogs and what works best for them.

I have two Great Danes, one shows well on a snake chain, the other I use a check chain for. Neither have had their head fall off in the ring, and neither have suffered from my choice of chain.

Megz, I bought mine from 'that shop where Tanya used to work' :laugh:

Mrs Rusty Bucket, most dogs start showing on a thicker webbing collar/lead suitable for a baby puppy.

Once they are able to walk/show on the lead, they then progress to a snake chain.

Many breeds have certain collars they like to use, you would not show a Bull Terrier on a fine snake chain due to the body weight, nor would

you show a Chihuahua on a heavy snake chain.

I can show my girl on a snake chain no worries, if I walk her down the street on a check chain she is a twit. :laugh:

I have not seen any injuries, and would be interested to see the stats on this. :laugh: