What Did You Feed Your Dogs

15 years ago was only the mid 90s. The 80s and 90s were when "complete balanced diet" commercial food was being pushed as the best thing to feed dogs. I fed mostly dry food, because it was supposed to be so good, with some table scraps, cooked stews and an occasional bone and seemed to be constantly at the vets with dogs with skin or digestive problems.

The dogs I had growing up in the 60s and 70s where fed mostly fresh meat and bones, table scraps and sometimes just a little dry food which was mainly biscuit. They lived very long healthy lives and hardly ever needed a vet.

In the late 90s I changed to all raw (Barf theory not commercial barf) and my vet bills dropped dramatically. I haven't used any commercial dog food since and cannot ever see me going back to it.

:eek: dinky di just like Mad MAx ate

and what they now call osso bucco in butcher shops and charge us a fortune for well the butchers used to give it away along with gravey beef which we used to feed the cats

My parents in the early 55's fed our dog anything and everything, table scraps including cooked bones left over from roasts etc., dog food whatever was available at the supermarket. Dog only ever saw a vet for yearly vacc. She lived to 15 yrs. I did the same up until about 15 years ago, my old Kelpie was 17 when she passed and only ever saw a vet once and that was to have her desexed.

While I was growing up on the farm, in the late 70's and 80's out dogs got working dry dog food and table scraps....which included anything and everything we wouldnt feed today!!! They also got offcuts from sheep we home killed.

When I moved out and had my owndogs (late 80's through the 90's) they still got dry food but alot more meat and veges :eek:

Thinking back to the scraps we gave our dogs makes me cringe slightly........there wouldve been cooked bones, onion and all sorts of stuff!!

They also had access to fresh fruit out of our orchard and walnuts - which they all seemed to graze on! Especially the walnuts! My old girl would know which walnuts were good and which ones not!

15 years ago we fed our family dogs - those dog food rolls, tinned food (though never Pal, cause it made them quite *stinky*), chicken wings, and for the fussy one if she hadn't eaten enough she would get cooked mince meat and rice - and I remember she would pick the mince out and leave the rice! Two dogs ate out of the same bowl, always in the same order. The older, fussier one always ate first - with the younger gutso waiting for what was left. We'd also leave dry food down for them (probably contributed to the fussiness of the older one!). They both lived to be in the early teens - one died of kidney failure and the other heart failure.

In the late 80's / early 90's our family dogs ate the same thing every single night of their lives lol. Pedigree Pal dry food, plus Pedigree Pal tinned food, to which we added a teaspoon of minced garlic and a splash of oil.