Labrador Pulling Washing Off The Clothes Line

Guest kuma

When we come home and see it we give a big "Argh naughty girl" and she gets low to the ground and knows she has done the wrong thing.

It's pretty much already been said but..

She doesn't know what she's done wrong, she knows she's getting in trouble, which is why she cowers when you tell her off. She wouldn't connect it to the washing, she could have done 100 things since then that were just as fun (play with her toys etc). You should never tell her off for coming to you (including greeting you - you have to be the exciting person she wants to play with) or for anything she's done if you havent caught her in the act. The other day I caught my dog digging and by the time I saw him, he had raced over to me for a pat - I couldnt tell him off even though it was just a few seconds ago that he was wrecking the yard!!!

Can you barrier off the area where the washing is?? Since it's a fair way from where her bed is, maybe you could just get some fencing and stop her from getting there if you didnt want to use a containment system.

Otherwise buy plenty of clothes hangers for inside!!

My pup (golden) has always been involved in the whole washing deal. He sits with us as we load up the machine and then enjoys the shade that the clothes provide as we hang them up. We always hang everything in half so nothing is dangling down near his face. He's never been phased by it. Worst thing he's ever done is nicked a peg from the basket and walked off with it!

Guest Labradors4Ever

Hi There,

Just joined onto this site, it looks great!

We have a labrador who is now 10 months old, and he loves catching anything that is blowing in the wind, and is usually very successful in his mission to catch the flying object - so my washing would have no chance!! :confused::laugh:

Guest Labradors4Ever

Hi There,

Just joined onto this site, it looks great!

We have a labrador who is now 10 months old, and he loves catching anything that is blowing in the wind, and is usually very successful in his mission to catch the flying object - so my washing would have no chance!! :confused::laugh:

Nina (lab cross) kindly brings the washing to the back door for me so it is waiting there for me when i get home from work. I have not yet been able to train her not to drag it through the dirt first or to fold it up :noidea: she has also been known to leave fang marks in things too :drink:

since we have had ted (the golden retriever) though he thinks that this must be a game of tug and that buttons, ribbons and waist ties are superfluous and fulfil no useful function, so must be removed from the garment. he is very helpful that way. :(

nina is growing out of it but if the pants that I wear on our walks are up there, then they must come down and be kept under her guard!!

we hang stuff up now so that it lays across the whole clothes line. not economical with space, but economical with buttons!! works much better if it isn't flapping. they also don't bother to even try to remove it if they know that we are home. smartiepantses.

We had a shorthaired and an irish setter who pulled washing off the line (on different occasions). We had to catch them in the act - it didn't happen anymore

although after catching him the shorthaired would ocassionally do it if he thought he wasn't getting the right amount of attention.

Buy some cheap wire and stakes, and cage the washing line.

Sometimes by denying them the washing line for a period of time, their focus moves to other things, like, that new garden bed you have just planted.

When I have a young pup at home I always hang the washing out with them close by. They learn very early not to touch the washing, by gentle methods.

Haven't tried this myself but was told that blowing up balloons ( no water - :hug: that would be such a delightful treat for a Lab) , & hanging in pillow cases round the line means dog punctures balloons & gets that harmless but alarming burst balloon shock in his face when he goes for it . ..& it is immediately associated with his behaviour , not with your return ..

No matter how many toys etc etc .. the more I read on here, the more I believe that there is no way to keep a single dog entertained during 8-10 hours on its own.

My 1st single dog was 5 times more work than since I started never having less than 2 dogs at a time.

Good luck anyway :(