Nikon D5000

Odin-Genie

I haven't used it, but I think a couple of people here have one. It's an entry level DSLR, and you would be better going for the next model up if you can, purely for the focussing motor (which the D5000 doesn't have, which means it has to be in your lenses, which = more $$$).

Basically what huga said. I have a D5000 and don't get me wrong, I love it, but I do wish I'd manned up and bought the D90 because the lack of autofocus motor does make buying lenses expensive. A lens I wanted went from $200 (no AF) to $800 (with AF in the lens) all because I didn't spend the extra couple of hundred bucks buying the D90 with the AF build in.

Other than that, it's a bloody great camera and I have no other complaints :laugh:

Basically what huga said. I have a D5000 and don't get me wrong, I love it, but I do wish I'd manned up and bought the D90 because the lack of autofocus motor does make buying lenses expensive. A lens I wanted went from $200 (no AF) to $800 (with AF in the lens) all because I didn't spend the extra couple of hundred bucks buying the D90 with the AF build in.

Other than that, it's a bloody great camera and I have no other complaints :(

Thanks FranCQ. Do you need to use the auto focus often? With SLRs I would have thought that manual focus will be more in use. That's why I didn't opt for the D90. I liked the ability to turn the screen for odd angle photos.

I use my camera at a professional level and almost never use manual focus. I only ever use it if the camera won't focus, like when there is white on white (a lack of contrast for the camera to focus on). AF is fast and easy.

I use my camera at a professional level and almost never use manual focus. I only ever use it if the camera won't focus, like when there is white on white (a lack of contrast for the camera to focus on). AF is fast and easy.

Thanks Huga. I'm getting two lenses with my camera with AF ability. I guess I'll just have to hold off buying more lenses for now :)

Other than that, it's a bloody great camera and I have no other complaints :)

i just upgraded from a d40 and was looking at the d90. when i went into store tho, i got shown the d7000 which has replaced the d90, for a couple of hundred more than the d90, it's got much better features :)

so glad i went with the d7000 now :D