Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mason_Gibbs

Deer Antlers And Allergy Dogs

17 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone with allergy dogs has tried these and if there dogs got any sort of reaction to them itch wise?? I got one for Mason and so far so good, no increase in itching etc and he really loves it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I presume Mason wouldn't be allergic to Venison then?

I got a couple for my dogs, they both will eat one of them, but there must be something wrong with the other one because neither will touch it. That was a waste of $20 odd! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I presume Mason wouldn't be allergic to Venison then?

I got a couple for my dogs, they both will eat one of them, but there must be something wrong with the other one because neither will touch it. That was a waste of $20 odd! :)

lol Same in this household, one antler is very much chewed, the other one is very much ignored. Ive even tried making it more appealing with peanut butter, they just like it off and totally ignore it again. Dogs, who would have them ;) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I presume Mason wouldn't be allergic to Venison then?

I got a couple for my dogs, they both will eat one of them, but there must be something wrong with the other one because neither will touch it. That was a waste of $20 odd! :)

That is odd! Mason liked both of the ones at Rubystars house and he loves his one ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought 3 large and 1 small and all my dogs LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

Sorry can't help with the allergy Q though but doubt there would be any issues being a natural product, if they did I am sure they would have had a reaction by now.

Just a suggestion to those who's dogs are only interested in one of the antlers - may be remove the favorite one for a while and see if they change their mind. My girls took to theirs first, Hamish didn't get it at first but now loves his too. These antlers are lasting very well, better than I expected and will get more when I need to. Great product. Actually the pugs antler is looking more worn than what the rotties antlers are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I presume Mason wouldn't be allergic to Venison then?

I got a couple for my dogs, they both will eat one of them, but there must be something wrong with the other one because neither will touch it. That was a waste of $20 odd! ;)

That is odd! Mason liked both of the ones at Rubystars house and he loves his one :)

As you saw, one of mine was very loved, the other not loved at all. Glad Mason picked the unloved one to have a chew on at my place (though my foot didn't like it!! :)) I think the unloved one has something to do with the fact that the ends are closed over and solid, very little of the good stuff exposed like the loved one! Which does suck a bit, that's money down the drain!

Edited by RubyStar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My CavX has allergies and I was hoping chewing on the antler would be good as he can't have raw bones but the antler set him off itching too :) Oh well now my Lappie gets 2, she loves them so does the Lappie we have staying here at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a dog reacts to the proteins in venison meat, that is no indication that he will react to the deer antler as the antler is entirely keratin with no muscle at all.

Don't confuse the entire animal with the part of it that triggers the allergy.

Quite often a dog that is allergic to beef, for instance, is not allergic to tripe or ox liver, or marrow bone with no meat, but would react to ox heart, which is largely muscle tissue.

I think you also need to make sure that the chewing is happening in a place which rules out any sort of contact allergy, which I be suspecting if you got allergy symptoms from both bone and antler chewing.

Breed forum I am on overseas, there was a dog in which deer antlers did not cause allergies in a dog which was reacting to rawhide treats. (Dog was not allergic to beef protein, but was to chicken and most poultry.) Rawhide and antlers are both keratin, it is suspected that the processing treatment in the rawhide manufacture was actually the culprit in that case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My allergic dog has them no issues.

If the dogs don't touch them, I reccomend you saw them in half so the nice marrow is apparant to them.

Edited by MEH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sawed out antler in half the other week.... OMG,, the smell. :love: It stunk the entire neighbourhood.... but settled when the dust died down. Heidi has loved hers much more since sawing it in half. Its a bit of a job though, and took some time...but worth it. I love that she has something to chew on now, and that they do not smell at all... (only when you saw them in half).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Ruralpug said. And also, keep in mind for a dog to be allergic to something, their body has had to encounter it before. So if he's not had the antler before it would be incredibly unlikely to then have a reaction to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have intro'd antlers to my boy. They're very hard and I have to encourage him to chew them. He spends a little time chewing them but gives up quickly. He's not even made a dint on them. He's not selective over one or the other.

I've also intro'd him to the Antler Velvet tablets. Time will tell as to whether this has any detrimental affects on his very sensitive digestive system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If a dog reacts to the proteins in venison meat, that is no indication that he will react to the deer antler as the antler is entirely keratin with no muscle at all.

Don't confuse the entire animal with the part of it that triggers the allergy.

Quite often a dog that is allergic to beef, for instance, is not allergic to tripe or ox liver, or marrow bone with no meat, but would react to ox heart, which is largely muscle tissue.

I think you also need to make sure that the chewing is happening in a place which rules out any sort of contact allergy, which I be suspecting if you got allergy symptoms from both bone and antler chewing.

Breed forum I am on overseas, there was a dog in which deer antlers did not cause allergies in a dog which was reacting to rawhide treats. (Dog was not allergic to beef protein, but was to chicken and most poultry.) Rawhide and antlers are both keratin, it is suspected that the processing treatment in the rawhide manufacture was actually the culprit in that case.

This is not the case with my dog, he is allergic to beef and cannot get the liver, heart, meat or hooves, they all set him off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The inside of the Antler is not marrow, it is the remnants of the velvet as the Antler calcifies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Deer Antlers I sell are Antlers that have naturally fallen off.

Velvet Tablets are made from Deer Antlers that are cut off the Deers head whilst the velvet is still fresh and the deer is still alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0