Awl Wins Tender For Ipswich Council Pound

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Ipswich Council decision to appoint AWL as pound operator

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

IPSWICH City Council is finalising negotiations to form a partnership with the Animal Welfare League of Queensland Inc to manage city's Hooper Street Animal Management Centre.

Health and Regulation Committee Chairperson, Councillor Andrew Antoniolli said a decision from today's Council meeting would lead to formal negotiations for the AWL to run the day to day operations of the Animal Management Centre freeing Council staff up to focus on other animal management duties.

"This is probably the best result we could have achieved to attract the expertise of the AWL with whom we have worked very closely for several years.

"The AWL has been running pound operations for the Gold Coast City Council for the past 20 years and has managed to achieve a zero euthanasia rate for impounded animals there.

"The AWL has an effective re-homing practice which they will now operate in Ipswich as from July this year.

"This signifies a change of era for our pound and perhaps breaks the stereotype that pounds just put down unwanted animals. Ipswich City council has been working with the AWL for many years to reverse this practice, however this partnership will see a dramatic reduction in the number of unclaimed cats and dogs being euthanised at the Ipswich City Council Pound and Animal management Centre. More importantly this sees Ipswich as taking responsibility for it's own problem and not simply passing our unwanted pet problem onto another community."

Councillor Antoniolli said the Animal Welfare League would further develop and deliver effective community education and support programs to the city.

"These programs are designed to promote responsible pet ownership, and teaches people on how to provide for the needs of their pets.

"The programs are also designed to create socially responsible pet owners who are aware of the impact of their choices on the management of animals in the community as a whole."

Cr Antoniolli said the AWL already provide a veterinary clinic within the Ipswich City Council area give the community access to low cost services for de sexing and micro-chipping and therefore reduce the number of unwanted cats and dogs within the community.

"They will also provide veterinary services to the Ipswich City Council Pound and Animal Management Centre."

Mayor Paul Pisasale said the notion of attaining a zero euthanasia rate was most appealing to residents of Ipswich.

"I hope the city embraces this concept and works with the AWL to achieve these goals which will be better for the animals and the people of our city in the long term."

Animal Welfare League of Queensland CEO, Denise Bradley, said she was looking forward to working with Ipswich City Council to achieve even better outcomes for local residents and their pets.

"We will be providing all the four elements of the model for ‘Getting to Zero' of healthy and sociable dogs and cats - rehoming, education, veterinary care for pound and shelter animals and the ongoing provision of a community veterinary clinic.

"We applaud Ipswich City Council's progressive move towards becoming a more compassionate and welfare oriented council and urge other councils to follow their lead."

QT Newspaper Story: http://www.qt.com.au/story/2011/02/24/no-m...d-at-the-pound/

The small dealings I have had with AWL left a good impression. The small dealings I have had with council shelters suggest those that are trying to reduce the euth rate are still quite new at this? Not sure if it's the same for Ipswich. To me, it makes sense to get someone experienced to manage a shelter, or at least seek help from more experienced people if it is available. I have a great deal of respect for local councils that want to make changes to the status quo. That's where it all starts! :love: I came across some fantastic local councils back in my environmental consulting days. Real leaders instigating useful change. Unfortunately there were many more that didn't have much of an idea what was going on in their environment. Some didn't even have a State of the Environment Report. :thumbsup:

Thanks Corvus

AWL currently run the Gold Coast pound facility and as a result they have, over time, developed their 'Getting to Zero' (G2Z) initiative to a point where they now have a successful Zero Euthanasia Rate. The initiative is simple......All dogs/cats suitable for rehoming and/or with treatable health/temperament issues are rehomed. In the Ipswich partnership we will be adopting the same initiative, together with other promotion, education and marketing campaigns designed to improve pet ownership responsibilities and therefore improve animal welfare. The partnership formally commences 1 July, 2011.

The small dealings I have had with AWL left a good impression. The small dealings I have had with council shelters suggest those that are trying to reduce the euth rate are still quite new at this? Not sure if it's the same for Ipswich. To me, it makes sense to get someone experienced to manage a shelter, or at least seek help from more experienced people if it is available. I have a great deal of respect for local councils that want to make changes to the status quo. That's where it all starts! :love: I came across some fantastic local councils back in my environmental consulting days. Real leaders instigating useful change. Unfortunately there were many more that didn't have much of an idea what was going on in their environment. Some didn't even have a State of the Environment Report. :thumbsup:

I couldn't be happier.

AWL Qld has its own excellent veterinary facilities. Homeless and surrendered dogs & cats require sound veterinary assessment, just as they need sound behavioral assessment. That enables AWL to give animals the fairest deal possible. They put it under the headings of Rescue, Rehabilitate, Rehome.

Many of the AWL programs extend to prevention of dumping, such as counselling prior to a dog being surrendered, 'settling in' programs that help adopted pets 'stick' in their new homes, educational programs for homes with new babies etc. They even have top class education programs in schools, at many levels.

It's hard to single out anything from their many initiatives. But their Golden Oldies program is special to me. Older, mellow pets make a wonderful addition to many homes.

I've just been keeping an eye on a 10 yr old tibbie boy, surrendered to AWL on Gold Coast when his owner went into a nursing home.

In some facilities, age alone would be regarded as reason for the green needle. Well, this 10 yr old boy at AWL Qld, well bred & raised, was so healthy he only needed some teeth clean-up & nails clipped. And so good natured, he & a new owner and their present dog passed their 'matching' test. Only took days for him to be rehomed. AWL have been a delight to communicate with, as I've tracked how this lad is going. They handle so many animals, but the staff could give immediate information about him, when I phoned. With genuine care for him.

I hope AWL's move into the Ipswich region will get the organisation even more public support, via membership, donations, volunteering, fostering and support for their many activities. I'm biased. We're Life Members of AWL Qld & they get a yearly donation. :thanks:

Edited by mita

AWL is a respected organisation and the Queensland AWL is a shining example of AWL ethics and beliefs. They have a successful trackrecord of increasing rehoming rates and decreasing euthanasia rates. I think the move will be a big step forward in welfare and wellbeing for companion animals in Ipswich city council.

Bit O/T, Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasle, was a great, down to earth, inspirational leader, during the recent floods. When people in his area had to be evacuated, there was no hesitation about pets being allowed too. While Brisbane Council was first saying No Pets....until someone ( bless 'em!) got that overturned.

And he managed to be funny as well as supportive of his community. When looters got caught, he threatened he'd use them as flood markers. When some shops sold basics at inflated prices, he said they'd find council road/footpath works right outside their stores for the next number of months.

All gloriously politically incorrect...but exactly what people were delighted to hear during those hard times.

There's a can-do, will-do attitude spreading around Ipswich. Looks like pets will benefit, too, from this new partnership with AWL Qld.

Edited by mita

Bit O/T, Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasle, was a great, down to earth, inspirational leader, during the recent floods. When people in his area had to be evacuated, there was no hesitation about pets being allowed too. While Brisbane Council was first saying No Pets....until someone ( bless 'em!) got that overturned.

And he managed to be funny as well as supportive of his community. When looters got caught, he threatened he'd used them as flood markers. When some shops sold basics at inflated prices, he said they'd find council road/footpath works right outside their stores for the next number of months.

All gloriously politically incorrect...but exactly what people were delighted to hear during those hard times.

There's a can-do, will-do attitude spreading around Ipswich. Looks like pets will benefit, too, from this new partnership with AWL Qld.

That was brilliant!

I can't talk to the AWL proposal but I think a council member putting a proposal like this up for discussion on a popular and passionate dog forum is awesome. :thanks:

Well done Ipswich - it's where I was born!. :laugh:

Thx Mita

As part of the preparation/input into the Ipswich Disaster Management Plan, myself and some of the Anaimal Management Staff had successfully advocated for the inclusion of pets at evacuation centres. History of other international disaster events has shown that people are reluctant to leave their pets at time of crisis and emergency, therefore by including pets we remove the hesitation and it worked well. We had in excess of 450 pets temprarily housed at the Ipswich Evac Centre and the help we received from volunteers (including one of my daughters) was exceptional. Not sure whether you saw it but our efforts made it onto Dr Harry's segment on Ch 7's Better Homes & Gardens.

And he managed to be funny as well as supportive of his community. When looters got caught, he threatened he'd use them as flood markers. When some shops sold basics at inflated prices, he said they'd find council road/footpath works right outside their stores for the next number of months.

Thx Poodlefan

This proposal has been on the drawing board with Ipswich for many years and I have been advocating for it's commencement. It's also important to understand and be aware of the feelings of animal lovers such as those involved in this forum.

A few years ago this proposal stalled after the RSPCA annouced that it was moving it's State HQ to Ipswich. We took this news as an opportunity to work with the RSPCA campus, however, some 18 mnths later they were forced to move to Wacol as the land chosen by the State was undermined and unsuitable.

We then went out to tender and were pleased to annouce the successful awarding of the tender to the AWL which will in the end be more like a working partnership towards better outcomes for both animal management and animal welfare.

And he managed to be funny as well as supportive of his community. When looters got caught, he threatened he'd used them as flood markers. When some shops sold basics at inflated prices, he said they'd find council road/footpath works right outside their stores for the next number of months.

That was brilliant!

I can't talk to the AWL proposal but I think a council member putting a proposal like this up for discussion on a popular and passionate dog forum is awesome. :)

Well done Ipswich - it's where I was born!. ;)

Thx Poodlefan

This proposal has been on the drawing board with Ipswich for many years and I have been advocating for it's commencement. It's also important to understand and be aware of the feelings of animal lovers such as those involved in this forum.

A few years ago this proposal stalled after the RSPCA annouced that it was moving it's State HQ to Ipswich. We took this news as an opportunity to work with the RSPCA campus, however, some 18 mnths later they were forced to move to Wacol as the land chosen by the State was undermined and unsuitable.

We then went out to tender and were pleased to annouce the successful awarding of the tender to the AWL which will in the end be more like a working partnership towards better outcomes for both animal management and animal welfare.

That was brilliant!

I can't talk to the AWL proposal but I think a council member putting a proposal like this up for discussion on a popular and passionate dog forum is awesome. :)

Well done Ipswich - it's where I was born!. ;)

This is a great step forward for animal management in Ipswich. I am a stone's throw from the Ipswich council area of Karalee/Chuwar, and therefore fall under BCC. This is unfortunate, as the pollies for this area are more concerned with impressing the wealthy/upper class in Pullenvale/Brookfield etc. I have always found the Ipswich councillors approachable and down-to-earth (I bumped into Mayor Pisasle once shopping, and he struck up a conversation while we were waiting at the checkout).

Well done :cool:

Mayor Paul Pisasale said the notion of attaining a zero euthanasia rate was most appealing to residents of Ipswich.

"I hope the city embraces this concept and works with the AWL to achieve these goals which will be better for the animals and the people of our city in the long term."

Yes.

Let's start by taking the tens of thousands of dollars the council gives to the sport of greyhound racing each year, and use it to embrace that concept and achieve those goals.

:)

Yes.

Let's start by taking the tens of thousands of dollars the council gives to the sport of greyhound racing each year, and use it to embrace that concept and achieve those goals.

:thumbsup:

Yes, & embrace that concept & achieve those goals (of working towards zero euthanasia), within the sport of greyhound racing. As well.

I live next door to a man associated with greyhound racing. Even tho' he loves his dogs, it gives me a window into that sphere where life can be short for those who don't measure up as runners.

Well here i go opening my mouth again only to be shot down in flames.

When will you people stop giving power to these type of organizations, the AWL and RSPCA.

Do you realize they are motivated by the Animal Libbers.

It may be nice for pet people's thoughts but it is sounding doom and gloom for the Pure Bred Dog World of Registered Dog.

All you do is give them a leg up and they start laying down the law as to who can and whom can not.

Do realize that in some states that the RSPCA has more power than a police officer.

Just ask Steve on this Forum I am sure Steve will be happy to repost the relevant information in regards to this.

If I should have this wrong I sincerely apologies.

I along with all of you have NO objections to Council Pounds (thank god for them) but I believe they should run by competent people not organizations such as this.

Why councils don't amalgamate the pound and a boarding kennel that will also raise funds to support one another.

As for the the clause we see so often NO KILL what happens to the dogs that are so savage that they are a danger to persons and what happens to those dogs that are to far gone to be rehabilitated ?.

Again I repeat I have NO objection to these organizations and the wonderful job they do in the community towards helping animals.

I also have no objections to the council pounds and for one would sing the praises of the Ranger of the Beaconsfield (West Tamar area in Tasmania on having one of the most sane I have ever come in contact with) again I have no axe to grind with any council nor they me.

All I am saying is be careful it may just come back to bite you.

Flame suit on.

^^ I have spent time with one of the people very high up in AWL QLD and he is certainly not against ethical breeders.

If you'd read the article or the getting to zero program - it aims at only rehoming animals with no behavioual issues OR issues that can be worked with. So a dog that is as you've described would not be rehomed.

Edited by melzawelza

Well here i go opening my mouth again only to be shot down in flames.

When will you people stop giving power to these type of organizations, the AWL and RSPCA.

It may be nice for pet people's thoughts but it is sounding doom and gloom for the Pure Bred Dog World of Registered Dog.

All you do is give them a leg up and they start laying down the law as to who can and whom can not.

Do realize that in some states that the RSPCA has more power than a police officer.

Just ask Steve on this Forum I am sure Steve will be happy to repost the relevant information in regards to this.

If I should have this wrong I sincerely apologies.

I along with all of you have NO objections to Council Pounds (thank god for them) but I believe they should run by competent people not organizations such as this.

Why councils don't amalgamate the pound and a boarding kennel that will also raise funds to support one another.

As for the the clause we see so often NO KILL what happens to the dogs that are so savage that they are a danger to persons and what happens to those dogs that are to far gone to be rehabilitated ?.

Again I repeat I have NO objection to these organizations and the wonderful job they do in the community towards helping animals.

I also have no objections to the council pounds and for one would sing the praises of the Ranger of the Beaconsfield (West Tamar area in Tasmania on having one of the most sane I have ever come in contact with) again I have no axe to grind with any council nor they me.

All I am saying is be careful it may just come back to bite you.

Flame suit on.

No need for a flame suit.

I think exploring all possibilities is a basis of good decision-making so I would hope that concerns like the above would be taken into consideration when making the decision.

I can't talk to the competency of AWL or any other organisation - I'm only talking about a rigorous decision-making process. It doesn't matter what people's concerns are but taking them all into account eventually results in a better and more informed outcome.

Flame suit on.

You need to spell out to whom you're speaking & who you're speaking about & what are the connections you claim.

Who are 'you people'? What is the 'power' that they are giving to the AWL Qld (the subject of this thread)? The RSPCA is not the subject matter here.

Who are the 'Animal Libbers' who, you say, motivate the AWL Qld? What is your evidence?

What is the connection, you claim, between AWL Qld's shelter work & some bad outcomes for the 'Pure Bred Dog World of Registered Dog (s)?

You should have read AWL Qld's own position on their website. They are forthright in stating that dogs need to be assessed, both from veterinary & behavioral perspectives, in the first instance. You will note that I referred to those assessments done by AWL Qld in the 2nd sentence in my first post.

It is healthy (or amenable to remediation) & rehomeable (in terms of behaviour) animals that are placed in the rehoming program. Which is why AWL QLD do not describe themselves as No Kill. But as Getting to Zero PTS of those in that program.

By coincidence, I posted on the international list dominated by registered breeders of my breed of interest...the fact that AWL Qld had taken in a 10 yr old purebred as part of its Golden Oldies Program. It was greeted with praise for a shelter that would have such an aim. And his progress was watched with interest & care. Especially the fact that he was promptly found a good home. Quote from a Canadian: I'm impressed with the quality of this shelter.

Edited by mita

To my knowledge AWL DO euthanase those that are not rehomable.

Then how can they advertise a zero euthanase policy/rate?

Zero euthanasia of dogs that are deemed adoptable (no health or behavioural issues), I presume.

Do AWL automatically euth pitbulls, or are they eligible for rehoming too?