How Do I Get Rid Of Fleas?

lilypily

4 minutes ago, SmokeyR67 said:

Bet you pence to the pound that your dogs do have fleas, it's just that your environment (as stated) mitigates their impact (and please don't take offence Diva, your last statement "a bit of good management" is a natural thing for an owner to say, and kind of proves my point about the way we treat the odd flea as an affront to our honor as keeper of the hounds:) )

I say, we can't live life flea free,but we can manage the issue and be proud that we do!

Bulldust. We most certainly can live a flea free life here, it isn't even hard. 

• Like 3

Groomer and own kennels .WE are a flea free area.

I show dogs ,they are never treated with any flea product and no fleas here.

I do appreciate some areas and circumstances can be challenging and require work but where feasible flea free very easy .

And my dogs live a  very fulfilling life & still don't have fleas,would come in contact with more dogs than most peoples ever will & still don't have fleas.

I have coated breed so a flea is not a welcomed thing .

Our grooming clients come in 99.9%flea free & the ones who do get a message quick smart about dealing with it .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

Diva, you've proven my point once again. We dog owners can be VERY offended if anyone dares to suggest that our dogs might have even 1 flea on their body.

We get very defensive about the topic of fleas, but we shouldn't  - every animal has issues with parasites, responsible owners like yourself do such a good job of managing the issue that you can't find a flea on your dogs - that's bloody great, but we shouldn't make people feel ashamed if (Oh my GOD!) there pup has a few fleas. It's natural, normal and very treatable, as you can attest to. It takes a little bit of management, and a bit of advice from an experienced owner goes a LOOOOOONG way to helping out someone just starting out.

Anyhow, for my next sermon, my topic will be "why does my dog smell like cow pats" :)

I can't work out if you're being facetious or just ignoring my request for information. You've got very experienced dog owners and groomers with first hand experience here. I'm sure we'd all be more than grateful if you could back up your claims with something factual. In other words, something that stands up to scrutiny, not a fairy tale. Maybe we're all in denial, did you stop to think it's probably you?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SmokeyR67 said:

Diva, you've proven my point once again. We dog owners can be VERY offended if anyone dares to suggest that our dogs might have even 1 flea on their body.

We get very defensive about the topic of fleas, but we shouldn't  - every animal has issues with parasites, responsible owners like yourself do such a good job of managing the issue that you can't find a flea on your dogs - that's bloody great, but we shouldn't make people feel ashamed if (Oh my GOD!) there pup has a few fleas. It's natural, 

The offence exists only in your imagination.

I related a lived experience, as did many very experienced people on here, and you dismiss it because you cannot move beyond your preconceptions.

Good luck with that. 

• Like 2

I got so excited that all these old dolers were back... then realised it was a 2011 thread!!

and no fleas here, 4 cats, 1 dog and I'm regularly in contact with many other animals who also don't have fleas 

Edited by Teebs

On 7/20/2017 at 10:44 AM, SmokeyR67 said:

Nope, I'm a realist, every dog has fleas. A well groomed and cared for dog won't be infested,may not have eggs,or may not have adult fleas,  but if your dog has a life, meets other animals, it's got fleas.

Thats just life as a hairy mammal:)

What garbage.

If you use appropriate flea prevention on your dog, any fleas they do pick up will only live a very short time. There is no reason infestation should be a chronic issue.

Wanting to be rid of fleas is not some germ-phobic unrealistic attitude, it's perfectly doable and prevents so many other health issues.

I rescue greyhounds. Despite having a few dogs who came in crawling with fleas (who were treated immediately), I have never had an outbreak and my own dogs never picked them up. We currently have four dogs and three rabbits and the last time I found a flea (which I brought home from visiting a family member with a cat that was allowed to roam) was approximately two years ago. A single flea. Before that.. I can't even remember, it's been literally years.

I doubt anyone here wants people to feel ashamed if they have a flea problem but telling people that fleas are natural and it's fine.. that's crap. Have you ever seen a dog whose skin looks like elephant hide because it suffers from severe FAD? Or dealt with dogs whose gums were bone white from the chronic anaemia caused by infestation? Bathed a dog who turned the water pink from all the dried blood (flea dirt) dissolving into the water?

Fleas are a health issue and should treated as such. No, we don't have to shame people with flea problems, and obviously we should be providing them with sound advice. "Lolz fleas aren't a problem u germ noobs but even if I'm wrong, I can flip my argument anyway because trollin 4 lyfe" is not sound advice.

I'm not offended by your opinion, I'm offended by stupidity and there was plenty to be found in your claims. Jumping between arguments because you can't back up your initial claim is poor form, by the way. Here's a summary of your comments..

"All dogs have fleas"

"I didn't mean that all dogs literally have fleas, I meant that fleas are a thing"

"No, all dogs do have fleas, just not necessarily an infestation"

"I didn't mean that all dogs have fleas, just that it can happen and you should groom/treat as required"

"All dogs do have fleas, it's just that environment prevents severe infestation"

"Sure, not all dogs have fleas but that's just because of treatment"

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Maddy said:

What garbage.

I'm not offended by your opinion, I'm offended by stupidity and there was plenty to be found in your claims. Jumping between arguments because you can't back up your initial claim is poor form, by the way. Here's a summary of your comments..

I applaud your self control, Maddy, but wonder why you would bother with this person who is obviously a legend in his own mind and pities the rest of the world.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

I applaud your self control, Maddy, but wonder why you would bother with this person who is obviously a legend in his own mind and pities the rest of the world.  

I've bothered with far worse :P

In all seriousness though, it was for the benefit of anyone who might find this thread while looking for information. I'd hate for someone to read it and walk away thinking that all dogs have fleas and that it's normal (or that most dogs have fleas, depending on which of his posts you read).

• Like 4

On 20/07/2017 at 4:47 PM, Powerlegs said:

Oh I just realised this is a complete waste of time. :hitself: 

Hoping anyone finding this thread on google gleans some accurate and practical information.  

And I hope that they realise that if their dog has fleas, it's normal, it's easily treatable and theres no need to feel like they've done something wrong.

I've seen a young Woman brought to tears because she had the audacity to ask a group at a dog park how to treat her rescue dogs fleas. She and her dog where treated like lepers so naturally I'm going to argue the point that fleas aren't a huge issue!

You may think I'm being obstreperous, and to be honest I 'm not concerned if you do, but as a result of that incident I will maintain that dogs have fleas, it's more normal than abnormal, and a dog owner shouldn't be ashamed to seek advice on the matter.

On 21/07/2017 at 6:45 PM, Maddy said:

I've bothered with far worse :P

In all seriousness though, it was for the benefit of anyone who might find this thread while looking for information. I'd hate for someone to read it and walk away thinking that all dogs have fleas and that it's normal (or that most dogs have fleas, depending on which of his posts you read).

Please, don't feel bothered by little ol me, I'm just a harmless realist that would hate to think that someone less experienced who's dog has (GASP) fleas and needs advice finds this forum and discovers that not only is their pup a pariah, but they're a despicable human for allowing such an abhorrent infestation to occur!

2 hours ago, SmokeyR67 said:

Please, don't feel bothered by little ol me, I'm just a harmless realist that would hate to think that someone less experienced who's dog has (GASP) fleas and needs advice finds this forum and discovers that not only is their pup a pariah, but they're a despicable human for allowing such an abhorrent infestation to occur!

Oh seriously now that's just too weird for a nice Sunday morning. :laugh: Dial it back a bit, your bait is showing.

23 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

Oh seriously now that's just too weird for a nice Sunday morning. :laugh: Dial it back a bit, your bait is showing.

I take offence at that - I'm too weird for ANY morning!  (and sorry about my dangling bait, I'll tuck it back into my y fronts)

Maybe I have missed it, but I haven't seen people on here being treated badly for asking advise on flea treatment.

When we moved onto our land it had the worst flea infestation I have seen. Going into the dirt floored shed you would come out with a carpet running up your leg.

It took awhile, but have to agree its certainly possible to be flea free when you don't have to worry about what comes from next door. We are also flea free.

It may be common, and not worth being upset about Smokey, but it shouldn't be 'normal' either.

• Like 2