How Do I Get Rid Of Fleas?

lilypily

14 hours ago, Scrappi&Monty said:

What's with you and lattes as an insult? :laugh:

Maybe it's a local thing. Insult is best delivered when doing to accompanying slippy gesture with a stupidly bent wrist.

It generally denotes the sort of person who visits the "cafe precinct" of the city to "admire all the historical buildings" (and drink lattes) while ignoring the fact that many of the lovely old homes are now cafes, their facades lost to development. Same person might also exclaim loudly that the reason they are vegan is because of the environmental impact of meat. And then they get back in their huge 4WD and drive the three blocks home again.

They are a special creature and without them, the makers of goose down jacket vests would surely go out of business.

1 hour ago, Maddy said:

Maybe it's a local thing. Insult is best delivered when doing to accompanying slippy gesture with a stupidly bent wrist.

It generally denotes the sort of person who visits the "cafe precinct" of the city to "admire all the historical buildings" (and drink lattes) while ignoring the fact that many of the lovely old homes are now cafes, their facades lost to development. Same person might also exclaim loudly that the reason they are vegan is because of the environmental impact of meat. And then they get back in their huge 4WD and drive the three blocks home again.

They are a special creature and without them, the makers of goose down jacket vests would surely go out of business.

Oh dear :laugh: I'm a latte lover and smell like patchouli but I'm a dying breed here. But I'm still a bit embarrassed now though. 

We're in the same situation over the last 10yrs. 4WDs, coffee shops, $12 boutique beers in renovated pubs, gentrification and all that it brings. Maybe even the fleas have moved out in disgust. :rofl:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

Oh dear :laugh: I'm a latte lover and smell like patchouli but I'm a dying breed here. But I'm still a bit embarrassed now though. 

We're in the same situation over the last 10yrs. 4WDs, coffee shops, $12 boutique beers in renovated pubs, gentrification and all that it brings. Maybe even the fleas have moved out in disgust. :rofl:

Or they're wearing tiny goose down jacket vests so they blend in now.

To be fair though, the patchouli scented variety is a slightly different creature. They congregate further down the street in the vegan/vegetarian/sustainable/Greenie sub-precinct of the cafe precinct and tend to drink mostly soy chai. They'll eat only raw green things that most people would consider weeds (dandelion salad) and will only eat it out of plates made from recycled used tissues but then will go home, stoke up their wood fire and help to fill the valley with a thick layer of wood smoke.

On the topic of gentrification, yeah. The area I grew up in was quite poor. Mostly immigrants (Italians and Greeks, mostly) and it was considered quite a "bad" area. For us, it was a great place to live- everyone knew everyone, people felt safe to let their kids out to play, all the Italian/Greek food you could possibly want.. pretty good place to grow up. Now, it's cafes, interior design boutiques, micro brewers and "boutique" Airbnb accommodation. The streets are now filthy with litter and dog poo (because the latte sippers like to bring their schnoodles but never remember poo bags), tacky modern facades have been slapped over pretty little cottages, and possibly worst of all, the entire area feels much less safe. After living there 30+ years and never having any trouble, my mum has had two attempted break-ins in the last two years. Gentrification turned it from an affordable, safe, pleasant area into something not very people-friendly at all. I now live in another "bad" area and I'm glad to be back amongst the dirty working class. Streets are usually tidy, we know our neighbours and it's a quiet and pleasant place to live. We just have to watch out for any cafes.. >.>

On 8/2/2017 at 9:39 AM, Maddy said:

Melbourne local here. I know EXACTLY the ones you mean! The down jackets bit killed me. Hahaha.

Maddy! You're confusing hippies and yuppies! They hate each other!
And don't forget hipsters. They're more like hippies with the disposable income of a yuppie and want to make expensive shit look old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Maddy

So I am coming to Hobart. Someone has suggested I check in with you as to which cafes you avoid so I know where to get good coffee?!

Preferably no patchouli burners!

Barista should have beard or man bun!

Edited by Danois

On 8/12/2017 at 9:37 AM, Panto said:

Maddy! You're confusing hippies and yuppies! They hate each other!
And don't forget hipsters. They're more like hippies with the disposable income of a yuppie and want to make expensive shit look old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a definite cross-section between the two. They're definitely not real hippies (because they just couldn't live without their soy chai (consumed from a $200 keep cup) or their $15 craft beer, but equally, they'd never miss a Greens rally and claim to be really concerned about whatever it is that makes logging a certain area concerning (ask them for specifics, 9/10 will not have bothered to even Google the issue first).

The local hipsters just want to wear their tight-in-all-sorts-of-weird-places chinos and go about their business:

*From the diary of a hipster. Imagine this written in flowing script, because he's currently learning calligraphy* 

9:00, appointment with the barber-surgeon, trim beard and check humours. St Johns Square. Note to self: need new mason jar for urine collection.

9:30, to the haberdasher in Yorktown Square, for man-bun twine. Perhaps enquire as to the costs of setting up a hobby in tatting lace? Bet no one else does that yet.

10:00, drink one warm, muddy craft beer from a copper mug at The Iron Monger's Hut, totes fav craft beer place. I mean.. very authentic experience, copper helps control acidity of the draught.

11:00, visit tailor, to be fitted for new chinos. Need larger pockets in back so that I can store handcrafted wallet in there. Groin is still a bit loose, reproductive organs haven't been crushed to the point of atrophy. How can I claim that my arguments aren't gendered if I still have a penis? 

12:00, browse vintage records at the record store/cafe with Calen, August and Hudson. Calen's favourite drink is the aged second Earl Grey tea, made with tepid reclaimed water, sugar squeezed from fermented rye grain and walnut milk. He's such a pretentious dick, I bet he doesn't even add bergamot to everything he cooks.

Danois, I'm up the other end of the state (Hobart is a terrible place, no offense Hobart people but.. christ..) but if you ever visit Launceston, Elaia Cafe seems to be predominantly frequented by owners of goose down jacket vests, and very sparse on those who have dreaded their underarm hair. It's not exactly hipster (nothing is served out of copper) but perhaps that's because it's too popular to be trendy.

In Hobart, perhaps try one of the Hill Street Grocers stores? They sell gourmet artisanal locavore cheese so they should be able to make you a decent coffee.

Personally, I don't partake of the devil's pond water myself. I buy a bottle of Red Eye on the way to lab in the morning, from the local IGA. I don't know if it's sustainably sourced caffeine or if the company undertakes to employ at least 50% women but it keeps me from dozing off at the bench and that's about all I need from it.

• Like 2

There is an OT for venting (which I'm all for)...no wonder membership and discussion about dog stuff has fallen on the forum when judgement is so blatant in the open, viewable sub-forums. 

Disagreeing with particular comments about dog stuff and calling out trolls is one thing but  the kind of banter that long time DOLers get belongs in OT, not the General forum if we have any chance of welcoming and educating new members.

Edited by Simply Grand
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Simply Grand said:

There is an OT for venting (which I'm all for)...no wonder membership and discussion about dog stuff has fallen on the forum when judgement is so blatant in the open, viewable sub-forums. 

Disagreeing with particular comments about dog stuff and calling out trolls is one thing but  the kind of banter that long time DOLers get belongs in OT, not the General forum if we have any chance of welcoming and educating new members.

People have been openly judgey around here since forever, it's not any worse than it was when Dol was popular.

Facebook was the beginning of the end for Dol, partly because variety of groups means you can talk only with people who will agree with you, if a bunch of pointless nodding is your idea of a good discussion. 

This thread certainly got off topic but I felt the tone was just a bit silly, not unwelcoming or mean :shrug: 

• Like 2

Dol used to be a lot worse :laugh: the mods were very busy back in the day before FB. Many of the forum rules had to be put in place because of it and we lost Mr Rolly Eye emoticon because we were naughty. lol

FB..... Dol is civilised in comparison, you have to think about what to write vs write before you think. 

44 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

Dol used to be a lot worse :laugh: the mods were very busy back in the day before FB. Many of the forum rules had to be put in place because of it and we lost Mr Rolly Eye emoticon because we were naughty. lol

FB..... Dol is civilised in comparison, you have to think about what to write vs write before you think. 

Ironically, I was just discussing this on FB recently with some ex-DOlers. I related seeing a new thread with a ridiculous comment that would have set the hounds baying in the old days!
I had I rushed off and made a huge bowl of popcorn, ready to watch the train wreck, only to come back and find that everyone was being NICE! And they continued to be nice, the troll (I'm sure it must have been) was disappointed too, as they never came back to respond.

Our little FB group said much the same as you PL - that the jump-down-the-throat types and the haze-the-newbies types mostly have gravitated to FB, where we supposed they get their jollies faster or something. Those that have stayed mostly toe the line here these days. :)
Occasionally someone does get out of hand these days on DOL, but are promptly politely told off by other DOLers - in the old days this almost never happened. I, for one, was too scared of attracting such viciousness upon myself so I didn't speak out when I should have.

It is a much safer place to be these days and a fantastic educational tool for letting people know about the delights of purebreds. I admin a few FB groups and I try consciously to model my moderating to not allow nastiness but only polite and logical statements or genuine questions.

• Like 4

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, Simply Grand said:

I think it's a good thing people feel like they can bring their true DOL-self to the public arena. I don't post outside of OT all that much because that isn't me, but when I joined, it was all those personalities that kept me coming back long enough to find out when this magical OT appeared.

On 8/16/2017 at 8:20 AM, Powerlegs said:

Oh, christ yes.

I can remember some crazy trainwrecks, many centered around a user with a cephalopodic sort of user name, in OT. Some were kind of funny but many of those sorts of threads ended up being utterly vicious and anyone who claims they don't remember Dol as being that bad is either lying or just has really crappy memory.

Same with the bullying. With a lot of the "old Dol" cliques gone, it's nowhere near as common as it used to be. I can remember one user in particular (whose name we won't mention) who was hounded mercilessly over every thing she posted. Some criticisms were perhaps warranted but this person struck me as a desperate people-pleaser who just wanted to be told, for once in her life, that she was doing okay. Not that I'm suggesting anyone should have lied to protect her feelings but criticism can be delivered with a spoonful of sugar (or a copper mug full of lukewarm craft brewed dark ale- whatever floats your boat). 

There seems to be significantly less need for outside moderation these days and I think part of the reason is that the culture of Dol has changed. And with that, behaviour of a lot of the older members has also changed. I recently banned myself from a certain thread and as much as I'm itching to go back in there, I won't. No good would come of it anyway and I've already said my piece (anything else would be just pointless repetition at this stage).

On the other hand, the last time there was a issue that needed moderating (involving a man in tighty-whiteys), it was started by a fairly popular "old Doler" and even though he was very careful to word insults in a way that made it possible for him to easily retract the actual meaning, it was truly some of the nastiest stuff I've ever seen. I earned myself a doliday for expressing my disgust of his behaviour. Fun times, a real throwback to the "good old days" of Dol. <-- insert Mr Rolly Eyes here