Help With Making My Akita Take Her Medicine

Lena.

LoL Funny responses. Got a week's worth of medicine for her and I hope it gets easier.

This morning, I tried to straddle like Tilly said since she flat out won't sit down. She's so big (and I'm so short), it's like I'm riding a horse. Wrong technic. It took us 10 attempts before Mia finally ate it. Will have to see if she's more cooperative if hubs here to help. Oh my growing pains with this girl...

LoL Funny responses. Got a week's worth of medicine for her and I hope it gets easier.

This morning, I tried to straddle like Tilly said since she flat out won't sit down. She's so big (and I'm so short), it's like I'm riding a horse. Wrong technic. It took us 10 attempts before Mia finally ate it. Will have to see if she's more cooperative if hubs here to help. Oh my growing pains with this girl...

It might be a two person job until you've got her used to having her tablets. Poor poppet! Hope she's on the mend soon.

You gotta love those stubborn doglets! We have to brush Kuma's teeth every now and then (he hates bones) and he clamps his jaw together SOOOOOOOO tightly and hides his head under his front legs so we can't get at him with the awful hatey stabby toofbrushy thing. :thumbsup:

When I need to shove tablets down her throat I find the best way to get them swallowed is to put them in as far as possible and then make SURE the lips are sealed and hold the head up. Stroking does nothing but waiting for the drool works as when that eventually runs down her throat (which is why its important to make sure there are no gaps when holding her mouth shut) she must swallow. Guess its the same as the water being syringed in there - but the tablet must be placed further back than the teeth to make sure they dont catch them with the teeth. If all else fails the drool will make them dissolve but you get RSI holding them for that long

However the dog c an do a good impression of a tawny frog mouth when holding the head up and still before swallowing.

I have 3 dogs currently taking one tablet twice a day. Usually I wrap the tablet in a bit of ham and make the dog do a trick and give them the treat as the reward (they always eat their training rewards super quick so it's an easy trick) and then just to make sure I follow with another bit of ham straight after. I've found if I don't follow with another bit then they chew the first piece and spit out the tablet.

I ran out of ham though so I have been putting a bit of peanut butter on the tablet and then quickly following with a little blob on my finger for them to lick off. That way they swallow the first bit, then swallow again when they lick it off my fingers.

If that doesn't work I just shove it down their throats and give lots of praise afterward.

I am so glad that two of the dogs finish their tablets tomorrow morning! Hooray!

I know this is going to sound a little silly but it worked for us.

When first starting a course of tablets, I make a big show of getting the tablet out of the fridge (no I don't store them in there but it is where the furkid's dinner comes from and they know it). I then make a big deal of showing them the tablet and then pretending to start eating it myself. They are always super keen to see what I'm eating and usually want some of it too so I play up to this. When they get so worked up that they start drooling, I share a bit of my 'food' with them. Result - one tablet gone and they're back looking for more. Now I just have to go to the fridge, start 'snacking' on a tablet and then share it with them. Works every time!

I give tablets by putting them in cream cheese (not the light kind ) If it is a new dog or a visitor I give them small pieces of cream cheese with no tablet and then slip the tablet in to the 3rd piece of cheese and they just gobble it down. My guys line up for tablets - they think it is an extra special reward.

Thanks so much for the creative ideas! Only thing is, Mia's not easily excitable with treats and even with big tail waggin', she'll gingerly nibble treats given to her. She's so darn unexcitable, I feel like we adopted a cat! Will have to wait until we have a goggler dog to try out these tablet tricks.

It's Day 3 and I'm getting the hang of making her take her medicine. It's definitely easier as a 2-man job and the most successful attempt to date was when she only spat the tablet out once. I felt like I won the lotto that night! LoL

Now if only there's an easier way to make Mia not shake her head ferociously after her ear drops and 2 minute ear massage...