Puppy Nipping And Biting Hurts!

Lynn725

I don't rip my hand out of dog's mouth if she grabs hold, I slowly and gently push my hand further in until she tries to spit me out, and then I hold for a second, and then I let her spit me out. I try to take the fun out of the biting.

I also give a warning "yeow" before I do this.

And I'm really careful when playing with her to play no harder than I want her to play with me so I do lots of gentle massage like action not rough and tumble.

And if she forgets herself, I definitely stop playing for long enough for her to notice.

I've heard people say this people, what kind of strength would you use to do the scruff though, people can under do it or over do it.

Enough to hold them, but not causing a lot of pain. You can tell if the inevitable tantrum is real or not by releasing a bit of pressure, you find most pups carry on like a banshee regardless. The funniest are the ones still protesting when you move your hand :laugh:

You dont pinch when you scruff you use a handful of the skin along the neck. If the dog is wearing a collar be cautious not to tighten that too much. Never lift a pup or shake it, you simply firmly hold the pup and grumble until it settles, then release. Trick is if you have to sit there for a while, you sit there. Puppies come back for round 2 because they're not really calm, people simply think they are.

People have too much patience with biting pups. The first time any dog goes for me it gets something unpleasant - now dont read into that as pain. I dont cause pain. I simply cause enough discomfort and give no attention to their protests and from the word go that is the last time I get a nip, mouth, bite etc. Young or old. If the pups still nipping intently after a week (or three) get into a decent puppy preschool or go see a trainer.

ETA remember too to always offer enough things for the pup to redirect to. I dont believe in a world just full of 'NO's particularly in young pups. Hence why I dont talk to them when I'm teaching them not to bite me - there is no engagement offered in biting me. But play with the toy I give you woweee watch me then interact excitedly. So pup knows if it wants to play or bite something grab a toy and we're good to go.

Edited by Nekhbet

People have too much patience with biting pups. The first time any dog goes for me it gets something unpleasant - now dont read into that as pain. I dont cause pain. I simply cause enough discomfort and give no attention to their protests and from the word go that is the last time I get a nip, mouth, bite etc. Young or old. If the pups still nipping intently after a week (or three) get into a decent puppy preschool or go see a trainer.

ETA remember too to always offer enough things for the pup to redirect to. I dont believe in a world just full of 'NO's particularly in young pups. Hence why I dont talk to them when I'm teaching them not to bite me - there is no engagement offered in biting me. But play with the toy I give you woweee watch me then interact excitedly. So pup knows if it wants to play or bite something grab a toy and we're good to go.

:laugh:

(my bolded bit )

Yesterday, I visited friends whose adult children persuaded them to buy a Great Dane. Previously, they've owned Maltese Terriers.

This 8 months old puppy was a very handsome girl, indeed. However, she was very disconcerted by my being in the house and followed me, butted me, and eventually mouthed me more than once, the last time, rather forcefully. Of course, she was pulled away by my friend and told 'no mouthing', and eventually,she obeyed.

My friend said that her pup is nervous and shy and doesn't like strangers. In fact, she wouldn't leave the grounds of the house for the first few months and they had to carry her to the car to drive to the park, rather than walk there. Well, they can't carry her any longer as she's much too large. Luckily, their garden is one acre, so the girl has plenty of room to romp around and a pool for swimming in, which she loves.

Whereas I wasn't scared of the dog, I thought that she should have been pulled up more firmly and I can well imagine that anyone without any experience of dogs might have been quite nervous.

Is this reasonable puppy behaviour, or should my friend by doing something more? Of course, the size of this girl makes it an issue - she could easily have knocked me over had she really tried. Scruffing her isn't an option.

This 8 months old puppy was a very handsome girl, indeed. However, she was very disconcerted by my being in the house and followed me, butted me, and eventually mouthed me more than once, the last time, rather forcefully. Of course, she was pulled away by my friend and told 'no mouthing', and eventually,she obeyed.

My friend said that her pup is nervous and shy and doesn't like strangers. In fact, she wouldn't leave the grounds of the house for the first few months and they had to carry her to the car to drive to the park, rather than walk there. Well, they can't carry her any longer as she's much too large. Luckily, their garden is one acre, so the girl has plenty of room to romp around and a pool for swimming in, which she loves.

Whereas I wasn't scared of the dog, I thought that she should have been pulled up more firmly and I can well imagine that anyone without any experience of dogs might have been quite nervous.

Is this reasonable puppy behaviour, or should my friend by doing something more? Of course, the size of this girl makes it an issue - she could easily have knocked me over had she really tried. Scruffing her isn't an option.

none of it is reasonable. This dog is a young dog, but not a baby puppy. Tell them to contact a professional trainer for help before this dog becomes a) really really big and b) totally unhandlable. A dog that is also socially nervous is not a good thing to have either, I cant imagine what vet visits would be like.

just to add scruffing is more a puppy action then an adult dog action. Scruff most adults randomly and they will turn around and mouth your hand to tell you to rack off - it's a different thing when they're older

just to add scruffing is more a puppy action then an adult dog action. Scruff most adults randomly and they will turn around and mouth your hand to tell you to rack off - it's a different thing when they're older

How old will you stop scruffing a puppy?

(I never did scruff Emmy a lot, but did it a few times when she was going through 'OMG, I love toes' phase of hers)

Hi

I had the same problem too, but what I did, seems a bit cruel but it works.

Whenever my puppy bit me or jumps up at me, I kick him or shove him away. Dogs sometimes do it for attention. When I kick him I don't do a gentle kick because then he will think I'm playing with him and then he will keep on biting me wanting me to gently kick him and play with him. So you will have to show that you definitely don't like it and kick him or shove him with that feeling. Other than that I don't really know what to do.

Hope my feedback works!

Hi

Whenever my puppy bit me or jumps up at me, I kick him or shove him away. Dogs sometimes do it for attention. When I kick him I don't do a gentle kick because then he will think I'm playing with him and then he will keep on biting me wanting me to gently kick him and play with him. So you will have to show that you definitely don't like it and kick him or shove him with that feeling. Other than that I don't really know what to do.

Hope my feedback works!

I would never kick a dog. I would suspect that kicking a pup may result in a dog that was fearful of feet/legs which in turn might result in a dog that would bite legs or ankles.

Di

Whenever my puppy bit me or jumps up at me, I kick him or shove him away.

..there are many other ways . Kicking and shoving just tell me that you may benefit from doing research on how dogs learn/communicate .

Kicking and shoving may work, because the dog is then afraid .. it has not actually been disciplined in a lesson ..

like a child who may have a messy desk at school . A strap applied to bare legs /hands will no doubt make them careful ..to avoid pain..BUT it will not teach them alternative ways of doing things, OR teach them how a tidy desk can be helpful :)

If you ONLY pat your dog when it is sitting quietly, or standing quietly , and not bouncing ,it will then WANT to be more quiet , cos then it gets a REWARD :( see?

perhaps have a read of this CLICK HERE

Hi

Hope my feedback works!

A kick "with feeling" into the side of a pup's ribs could very likely break them.

shudder :cheer:

Hi

Hope my feedback works!

Japanese Spitz pups are very little.. so kicking it can definitely hurt him! So, I definitely won't recommend kicking it (I don't recommend kicking any pups actually :cheer: )

When I said shove, I meant gently do it. Just so you can stop the biting behaviour.

Hi

Hope my feedback works!

:cheer:

:laugh:

You should NEVER kick a dog, let alone a puppy!

Hi

Hope my feedback works!

You think kicking a puppy HARD isn't cruel? You have to be kidding me... I feel sorry for your puppy. You don't deserve to own a dog if that's how you treat it :)

• 2 weeks later...