Brisbane Rspca Million Paws Walk

Dju, I will have to street park but that is ok. I will try to be there by 9 am.

I will drop the shirts off to GG in the morning and she will do the stencils etc and keep the shirts there with her, so she will have them when you arrive :)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys! I saw ladies with red shirts today - with black spots on them - was that you? It was crazy this morning and was getting hot! The last 3 years they had 'water' stations which there wasn't any this year, which was disaapointing when Asti gets so hot easily (its a squish faced dog thing)...

I hope someone took photos of you and your doggies, would love to see them! Sammie & Asti

I thought it was so badly organised this year. Too many dogs and not enough space. I tried to leave at 9.20 and it took me over an hour to get out! Apparently we couldn't leave before the walk was over. I only wanted to go to visit a friend. Never again.

Hi Guys! I saw ladies with red shirts today - with black spots on them - was that you? It was crazy this morning and was getting hot! The last 3 years they had 'water' stations which there wasn't any this year, which was disaapointing when Asti gets so hot easily (its a squish faced dog thing)...

I hope someone took photos of you and your doggies, would love to see them! Sammie & Asti

That was probably the ladybird people, we had plain red shirts with Dol Doggies written on the back. If you saw a Golden Retriever with a blue backpack that was me with Lexi lol

I thought it was so badly organised this year. Too many dogs and not enough space. I tried to leave at 9.20 and it took me over an hour to get out! Apparently we couldn't leave before the walk was over. I only wanted to go to visit a friend. Never again.

I've never been before, I would have thought they would have a bigger area for everyone considering they've been running this for a number of years now they should have a good idea of what sort of numbers to expect

I also didn't like the fact that they were letting people take their dogs over full sized agility equipment its so dangerous when you haven't trained your dog to take these obstacles...Im seriously considering putting in a complaint about that :(

That was probably the ladybird people, we had plain red shirts with Dol Doggies written on the back. If you saw a Golden Retriever with a blue backpack that was me with Lexi lol

You know I did see you! I thought Lexi looked super cool!

I'm glad that it wasn't just me dissapointed! they could have spread out the stalls too! we didn't stay to look at the stalls as it would have been chaos to look at them! We were also thinking about making a complaint about the lack of water stations :mad

I also didn't like the fact that they were letting people take their dogs over full sized agility equipment its so dangerous when you haven't trained your dog to take these obstacles...Im seriously considering putting in a complaint about that :(

Wow I'm even more glad I didn't go now, I don't think I could have stopped myself from saying something seeing that :mad

You know I did see you! I thought Lexi looked super cool!

I'm glad that it wasn't just me dissapointed! they could have spread out the stalls too! we didn't stay to look at the stalls as it would have been chaos to look at them! We were also thinking about making a complaint about the lack of water stations :mad

Aww thanks, Lexi tolerates it surprisingly well lol, I'm going to be using it to build up a bit of muscle tone. I got a lot of comments about it, all good thank god...there was someone who said she looks like a pack horse but Ill take that as a compliment that my dog is so well trained she will tolerate it lol

Wow I'm even more glad I didn't go now, I don't think I could have stopped myself from saying something seeing that :mad

Im doing up an email to them now...they had the dogs on lead which only makes it worse, lots of children handling them, I can only imagine if the dog decided to bail off the wrong side of the dog walk or A-frame, the poor dog would get hurt from jumping off full height equipment and the kid would get a concussion if they didn't let go of the lead!

The more I think about it the more furious I get :mad ...it looked like ADAA equipment too I'd hate to think there was an ADAA person there allowing that to happen :(

I tried to leave at 9.20 and it took me over an hour to get out! Apparently we couldn't leave before the walk was over. I only wanted to go to visit a friend. Never again.

G'day Huga, I think the tickets (or the website) stated that people wouldn't be allowed to leave until 10:30am, but yeah it would've been pretty frustrating if you didn't happen to read that info - or even if you had - especially if you had to be somewhere else :(

There were many water stations near the stalls, but yeah it was a bit weird that there weren't any along the actual walk.

Still, I had a nice day catching up with DOLers and their pups.

EFS.

Edited by Kitt

I did not.. even see any agility equipment. D:

Dammit, I kind of wanted to have a try too. :o

I didn't take many photos at the end of the day, it was hard enough getting around trying to let Hugo sniff everyone's butt, let alone to take photos with one hand. :laugh:

Lucky you didn't see it, Dju, Hugo would be far too young to run on full height agility equipment, so you would have been disappointed :( (unless they were letting any age dog or puppy have a go??)

Edited by huski

Lucky you didn't see it, Dju, Hugo would be far too young to run on full height agility equipment, so you would have been disappointed :( (unless they were letting any age dog or puppy have a go??)

I didn't notice puppies, but Hugo could easily pass for an adult, I doubt they would even check TBH, unless they were obviously pups of course, but even then who knows

Dju you would have heard about it from me if you let Hugo go on that equipment, pups aren't allowed to even start training until they're 12 months old minimum, Lexi is 17 months and she isn't starting until July!

If you're interested in agility thats great, but don't rush it, you can cause big physical and psychological problems if you put pups on equipment. There is a lot of work you can do with pups to prepare them for agility, but they shouldn't be even LOOKING at equipment until at least 8-12 weeks into their training

Edited by GoldenGirl85

I tried to leave at 9.20 and it took me over an hour to get out! Apparently we couldn't leave before the walk was over. I only wanted to go to visit a friend. Never again.

G'day Huga, I think the tickets (or the website) stated that people wouldn't be allowed to leave until 10:30am, but yeah it would've been pretty frustrating if you didn't happen to read that info - or even if you had - especially if you had to be somewhere else :(

Really? I should have read it, I suppose. But I didn't buy tickets. I didn't even think about it to be honest.

I didn't notice puppies, but Hugo could easily pass for an adult, I doubt they would even check TBH, unless they were obviously pups of course, but even then who knows

Dju you would have heard about it from me if you let Hugo go on that equipment, pups aren't allowed to even start training until they're 12 months old minimum, Lexi is 17 months and she isn't starting until July!

If you're interested in agility thats great, but don't rush it, you can cause big physical and psychological problems if you put pups on equipment. There is a lot of work you can do with pups to prepare them for agility, but they shouldn't be even LOOKING at equipment until at least 8-12 weeks into their training

Ah, okay, I didn't know that it had an age limit :o Like obviously you wouldn't take a tiny 8 week old puppy onto the equipment but I didn't know about the 12 month thingo :)

I thought there was enough water and they were changing the water quite frequently from what I saw too.. there was four spots for water in the marketplace thingo and one in the middle of the walk (I didn't think they really needed water that frequently on the walk, I mean, Hugo goes an entire walk when I take him without even looking at water and just drinks up when he gets home). I kept taking Hugo over to them so he could drink but he told me he'd had enough water and just gave me "the look" every time I'd pull him away from another dog to try keep him hydrated.

Edited by Dju

Ah, okay, I didn't know that it had an age limit :o Like obviously you wouldn't take a tiny 8 week old puppy onto the equipment but I didn't know about the 12 month thingo :)

They need to finish growing physically (and mentally) before they start that sort of work, while smaller dogs are fully grown earlier, they need to draw a line somewhere, and the majority of dogs that do agility are med-large dogs, BCs mostly, and they wont be finished growing until at least 12 months. On saying that they can't compete until 18 months so there is no real advantages to starting their training too early anyway

• 3 weeks later...

:wave:

sorry i lost this thread :laugh: i enjoyed myself, the area was too small and cramped and i didnt like that we had to walk in a circle, i would have prefered to have a destination :shrug:

i agree about the agility equip, glad you got off a complaint, heard anything back? huski they also had a seesaw and were letting the dogs just walk on and over and it was falling and the dogs were coming off and it was scaring them, i wouldnt even have let raz on that as he has had no training on it whatsoever!! those poor pups

here is the pic i got at the zoo photo booth

251198_10150206208401686_690096685_7267910_4427314_n.jpg

i want to organise a shoot and get raz and willow in one together now

Edited by dandybrush