Brisbane Rspca Million Paws Walk

Thanks for the info. Which ones have you seen this at?

The main Brisbane ones.

This is why I think it is better to go as a group as opposed to as an individual that way we can look after each other and keep an eye out for anything we don't feel comfortable with and stay away from dogs that display the wrong behaviour.

Sure in principle that is a great idea but keep in mind how massive these events are, there will be HUNDREDS of dogs there and they aren't all going to be under effective control :banghead:

You will probably be fine when you go but just be aware of the risks and don't hope that people or the RSPCA will do the right thing regarding dogs that display inappropriate behaviour.

I definitely would not take anything other than a very stable dog. The atmosphere can lead to dogs getting over aroused pretty easily.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Huski. Given this year there are less places holding the walk, the potential is there for a greater incidence doggy overcrowding. Dogs that are known not to cope in close contact situations would be best not to attend. Even with RSPCA staff on site, there will no doubt still be some 'issues' and as we know not all owners are open to advice or criticism of their pooch's behaviours.

. Given this year there are less places holding the walk, the potential is there for a greater incidence doggy overcrowding.

Thank goodness there still seems to be a few places around the Brisbane area. We will pick between Nundah & Samford.

We go every year to play flyball and to be honest I see fewer problems at this event than I do at a regular dog park.

Some dogs are a little reactive and there are some idiot owners with not much clue about what their dogs are doing (I did say I went to play flyball...... :shrug: ), but over all the dogs are over awed and well behaved.

Personally I wouldn't be going if I didn't have a reason, but I don't get out of bed without a reason so that's nothing to go by. In previous years though we have been involved in the RSPCA's demonstrations walking to and from the flyball ring (with one reactive dog) and have not had any problems.

Like anything a little care goes a long way. :)

ETA - don't forget, only a small proportion of the RSPCA's people are directly involved with or could be expected to understand dog behaviour. Just because they wear a blue and green shirt doesn't mean they have the first clue about dogs. Even though it is the MPW the day is still about all the RSPCA's depts.

Edited by Agility Dogs

ETA - don't forget, only a small proportion of the RSPCA's people are directly involved with or could be expected to understand dog behaviour. Just because they wear a blue and green shirt doesn't mean they have the first clue about dogs. Even though it is the MPW the day is still about all the RSPCA's depts.

Very true and lots of them are probably volunteers too!

I wish they did obedience or rally demos.

ok, i've checked the dates and lined it up with lucy's chemo rounds, and she will have had her 4th round of chemo the week before that (either the wed,thurs,fri), so depending on how she responds to chemo will depend on if i can come. and also what day, seen as her excretions could be cytotoxic for 48 hours afterwards, so if she has the chemo on the wednesday (her birthday) and she doesn't have side affects, we should be able to come, but as she only had her first round of chemo today, i really can't say how she'll be :hug:

that really sucks tho as i really wanted to take her as this could be her last million paws walk :cry:

Scarlett has a lot of patience for impolite dogs (and their owners). I, however, do not. I'd place money on me having an incident rather than her :hug:

Scarlett still has the potential to get distracted by overly excited dogs- not an issue if she's in a crowd where the excitement level isn't over the threshold.

We'll see how we go though. We'll be at playgroup either way (she hasn't missed on yet!)

Edited by Scarlett Dog

We go every year to play flyball and to be honest I see fewer problems at this event than I do at a regular dog park.

We've taken our dogs since the first Million Paws Walks. They were held only at Fairfield & were MC'd by Cam Day. I haven't seen any incidents that stand out. And I've been careful because we own gentle dogs. We used to take the shelties, now the tibbies. But, then, I haven't been in every spot on the days. The event's also grown in size. So a note of caution is reasonable.

I've seen a couple of blues at the Council''s K9 activities. But they were smaller events & in a number of activities, dogs were off-lead. They're held in off leash dog parks.

• 4 weeks later...

OK so I have created our team.

I will PM anyone (Dandy only LOL) who has told me they are interested with the link to register, the team name and password so they can join.

If anyone outside of Dandy wants to join please let me know and I will PM you the details to register with our team.

Thanks!

OK so I have created our team.

I will PM anyone (Dandy only LOL) who has told me they are interested with the link to register, the team name and password so they can join.

If anyone outside of Dandy wants to join please let me know and I will PM you the details to register with our team.

Thanks!

Hi Keira and Phoenix,

I would be interested in joining you and Dandy if you think you might be able to give me a lift, and if you and Dandy are happy to have me join you :o

Do we have to fundraise, or can we just pay for our registration? I might PM you soon.

Andy.

So GG was wondering if we were going to have a "uniform".... ??

Maybe we can all just buy like a plain red (or whatever) coloured shirt ....and maybe if we wanted just write the team name on them in fabric paint?? That way we arent in a rspca shirt which will match everyone else, plus cheaper Thoughts? Ideas?