Puppy Names Of A Celtic Theme

Tapua

Hi all - I am totally braindead about names and need inspiration please - we have a litter due this Fri/Sat and 7 pups according to the Xray are expected. So of course I cannot think of anything. O/H and I have agreed on a Celtic theme since the last litter had a Maori theme, which is his ancestry, so this litter has a Celtic theme, which is my ancestry.

Any bright ideas would be appreciated. :laugh::eek:

Edited by Tapua

Hi all - I am totally braindead about names and need inspiration please - we have a litter due this Fri/Sat and 7 pups according to the Xray are expected. So of course I cannot think of anything. O/H and I have agreed on a Celtic theme since the last litter had a Maori theme, which is his ancestry, so this litter has a Celtic theme, which is my ancestry.

Any bright ideas would be appreciated. :laugh::eek:

have a look at the following site

http://www.babynameworld.com/celtic.asp

sure there baby names - but the meanings are rather nice

When you start selecting the Celtic names you like, see if you can find a Welsh-born or Irish-born person to pronounce them for you. I know that name lists often write out the pronunciations. But it is beautiful hearing the Celtic names said by a person who knows how.

We used to have a Welsh-born woman working at our local library....& people were forever asking her to say words they wanted for names or whatever.

When you start selecting the Celtic names you like, see if you can find a Welsh-born or Irish-born person to pronounce them for you. I know that name lists often write out the pronunciations. But it is beautiful hearing the Celtic names said by a person who knows how.

We used to have a Welsh-born woman working at our local library....& people were forever asking her to say words they wanted for names or whatever.

You can add the Scots to that list :laugh:

You can add the Scots to that list :laugh:

JB, you're right. :eek: My apologies to the Scots of gaelic background.

You can add the Scots to that list :happydance2:

JB, you're right. :happydance2: My apologies to the Scots of gaelic background.

No apologies needed :happydance:

Oooooh Baby puppies!

Here are my favourites and their meanings

Girls

Aislinn (pronounced Ashlinn I believe) - a dream, vision or inspiration

Avalina/Evelyn - lively, pleasant

Bonnie - pretty girl

Ciara - black and mysterious

Enya - Little fire

Keelia - Slender, fair

Kella - Warrior

Mairin - Goddess of the sea

Seanna - God's grace

Shylah - Strong, Loyal to god

Boys

Arturo - Noble, follower of thor

Bryant - Strong

Carney - Warrior

Finian - Handsome

Kael - Mighty Warrior

Kierney - Warrior

Maddox - beneficient

Merric - Ruler of the sea

Oscar - jumping fighter

Ronan - A pledge

Tierney - Lordly

Torin - Chief

:confused: Not sure if you saw the thread I posted on a couple of months ago, I used to live with Andrew (Nadsy) and Sapper (formerly Dimples) they are doing great and Sappy is so so massive now

Have a look here for an A-Z list of Celtic gods, goddesses, mortals, spirits and other creatures. Also gives you a bit of history of the name.

Also try here where you can type in English words and get their Welsh translation. Also has a button so you can hear the pronounciation.

Best wishes for a successful birth.

Celtic theme - the Celtic nations were the Isle of Man, Ireland, Scotland, Cornwall, Brittany and Wales, so you could choose traditional names from any of those places. There is no 'celtic' language, so to say something is the celtic word for a particular trait or colour or whatever is a misnomer. Irish and Scots gaelic are similar - you can recognise words in either language if you speak one - but Welsh and again Cornish are markedly different.

It depends entirely whether you want to spell words phonetically so they are pronounced properly, or spell them properly so they are actual words, but risk mispronunciation, or use a phonetic interpretation of a name (for instance - Kelpie, the water sprite, isn't a true scots gaelic word, because neither scots or irish gaelic have a K in their alphabets - it's a phonetic bastardisation that probably comes from cailpeach, the scots gaelic word for a young domestic animal used to refer to heifer / colt / bullock etc.)

Anyway...

:) Not sure if you saw the thread I posted on a couple of months ago, I used to live with Andrew (Nadsy) and Sapper (formerly Dimples) they are doing great and Sappy is so so massive now

Hey thats really cool - I spoke to Nads the other day he and Dimples aka Sapper are like two pees in a pod and great mates. I love Sapper he has the most beautiful temperament - unfortunately you could saddle the big lug and ride him :) Nads will be the best dad for Sapper. :thumbsup:

Edited by Tapua

Thanks everyone I will research the options - I have a rather round sleeping Labrador on the couch with a temp of 36-7 and dropping. Should be about 24-36 hours away. Whelping box all ready and the all the whelping stuff within hands reach.

Sleeping Lara and the geriatric Kelpie being 'supportive' in sleep.

post-27124-1299119013_thumb.jpg