Over Protective, Jealous And Aggressive 6mnth Old Gsd

Leelaa17

I have a 6 month old GSD, female.

As soon as she got all her shots, I started taking her to my local dog park. I normally sit on the ground at the dog park because i like cuddling and spending time with the other dogs there. Ever since her first time, she stands in front of me or stands IN my lap and wont let any other dog come near me - her hackles go up, she bears her teeth, growls, barks and then nips the other dog. I know she doesnt do it to hurt the other dog but to just scare them away. But I don't know why she does it.

I started taking her to training and the trainer said that Jenna (the dog) feels like I need protecting. But I'd like to know why she actually started doing this in the first place....

The worst thing is that my older male GSD Max is starting to follow her lead. and i don't want him to do that.

Can anyone help me???

You need experienced professional help. Your dog has had three months of training to behave aggressively to other dogs. Now she's hitting maturity.

DON'T sit on the ground in dog parks. They aren't petting zoos. You should be concentrating on what your dog is doing and you can't act quickly to control her if you're on your bum.

In addition to making yourself a sitting duck for a serious collision, you moving will decrease any territorial inclinations your dog might have. Moving around the park also tends to diffuse stands offs with other dogs. Make yourself a target for other dog's attentions and you may be encouraging her to resource guard you. You are simulataneously offering an invitation to other dogs to greet you with a dog likely to behave aggressively towards them in your lap. Worst case scenario would see a dog fight break out in your lap.

I know she doesnt do it to hurt the other dog but to just scare them away.

I fail to see how you could know anything of the kind. I think you need to treat the matter more seriously. If she puts a puncture mark in the wrong dog, you'll be staring down the barrel of a dangerous dog declaration and all the pain that goes with it.

Personally, I think a dog that's putting teeth on another dog shouldn't be in a dog park at all. Get some help before the behaviour escalates. In the meantime stay out of the dog park.

Edited by poodlefan

Two GSD's - one already guarding, and the other starting out ... definitely time to get a professional on your side!! :cheer:

I agree with PF as well. Sitting on the ground in a dog park has some potentially dangerous outcomes.

Leelaa, let us know whereabouts you are , and someone can recommend a good professional to help you. They can assess your dogs and their behaviour , then help you learn the "whys" , and implement strategies for you :laugh:

Leelaa

You need urgent professional help now. This is not the puppy's problem. You sat down at the dog park and cuddled her!!!!!!!! Cuddles are for at home, you have created this problem. But you need help to fix this. You cannot fix this without urgent professional help.

Hi,

I can speak from experience. I have a Rotty, who when she was young was also very protective and would not let other dogs near me.

She is now 8 and I have another 2 dogs which I have raised and trained since them. When I look back - alot of this behaviour was my fault. I was not firm enough with her - she thought she was my leader. GSD like Rotty's need a strong leader.

I have to agree with the others - do not sit on the ground in the dog park. Your dog will feel she has to protect you.

Another suggestion which is what I did with my girl is to make her work for any attention. There are a few simply things you can do. Make her come to you for a pat, don't ever go to her. Before you pat her make work, for example my girl always has to be sitting calmly before he gets any attention.

The other thing I do is punish her when she is too aggressive. So at home, if she is too aggressive with one of my other dogs she get put outside on her own. If I was at the dogs park I would pack up and leave as soon as she is aggressive with other dogs. Remember when you let them get away with it you are reinforcing the behaviour.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for all of your replies - but for freundhund and poodlefan - please don't attack me. I don't know whether or not that was your intention but I feel that you are just attacking me. I specifically wrote on here to get advice not to be berated for something I have done wrong.

As of a week ago I haven't been sitting on the ground with the other dogs because when I stand up Jenna leaves me alone. And I enjoy going to the dog park and seeing the other dogs - I don't think it is wrong of me to be paying attention to other dogs at a dog park?

But to be perfectly honest - from some of the replies I have gotten - I know now not to ask questions on this forum. I'll just go to my vet or go to my local training place so I'm not attacked when I've done something wrong.

Sorry for wasting everybodies time.

Hi,

I can speak from experience. I have a Rotty, who when she was young was also very protective and would not let other dogs near me.

She is now 8 and I have another 2 dogs which I have raised and trained since them. When I look back - alot of this behaviour was my fault. I was not firm enough with her - she thought she was my leader. GSD like Rotty's need a strong leader.

I have to agree with the others - do not sit on the ground in the dog park. Your dog will feel she has to protect you.

Another suggestion which is what I did with my girl is to make her work for any attention. There are a few simply things you can do. Make her come to you for a pat, don't ever go to her. Before you pat her make work, for example my girl always has to be sitting calmly before he gets any attention.

The other thing I do is punish her when she is too aggressive. So at home, if she is too aggressive with one of my other dogs she get put outside on her own. If I was at the dogs park I would pack up and leave as soon as she is aggressive with other dogs. Remember when you let them get away with it you are reinforcing the behaviour.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for being much nicer about telling me I was doing the wrong thing!!

I will use the technique of putting her outside if she does someting wrong and I will make sure I don't sit down anymore at the dog park. I will also make sure she needs to come to me for attention. Thank you very much.

Hi,

I hope this helps.

Thank you for being much nicer about telling me I was doing the wrong thing!!

I will use the technique of putting her outside if she does someting wrong and I will make sure I don't sit down anymore at the dog park. I will also make sure she needs to come to me for attention. Thank you very much.

*sigh*

I may not have sugar coated my advice Leela but its a pity you've failed to grasp the potential severity of what you're dealing with. :) That's assuming of course that what you posted was accurate. If you're going to back pedal now, then reread the title of this thread and have a think about how serious it sounds.

I don't think it is wrong of me to be paying attention to other dogs at a dog park?

If it provokes your dog into attacking them and you do it without seeking their owner's permission, then yes it is. If you weren't sitting on the ground anymore, it might have been an idea to mention that.

Remember when you let them get away with it you are reinforcing the behaviour.

And sometimes when you punish it, you are reinforcing it too. That's why a professional who can see and evaluate the dog is the only wise course of action with escalating aggression.

My dogs have been attacked 4 times by GSDs owned by people who didnt' understand and couldn't control their dogs. One attack was quite serious. I guess that makes me a bit sensitive to the idea of a person with a young GSD showing potentially serious behaviour who's taking it to public dog parks. Why would you take a dog you say won't let another dog near you to a dog park and then encourage others to come to you? It makes no sense at all to me.

Maybe you need to see ithis from the perspective of other park users. Your outline of the situation led me to believe that you have embarked on course of action that may result in a serious aggression incident. It seemed you were unaware that you were creating the circumstances for your dog's aggression and failing to heed the warning signs of escalating behaviour in both her and your other dog. I thought that called for serious advice. I made no personal comments about you at all. What you've inferred from my advice is beyond my control.

Edited by poodlefan

I think everyone has given you good advice. Direct, yes. Attacking? No.

By all means ask your vet, but remember that they aren't trained behaviourists. And most likely neither are the trainers at your local club. Most of the advice I have gotten from vets (who are great vets btw) has been terrible when it comes to behaviour. My vet suggested that I just let my fearful dog go for a run at a popular dog beach. I know her, she'd be on the attack in a few minutes!

Of course it is nice to play with other dogs, but if your dog nips them, they might retaliate and your dog - or the other dog, depending on their size - will land up paying the price for it.

I see you're in NSW. If so, the best person to see is Steve from K9Pro (he posts on this forum too). That way, you'll have someone see how your dog reacts and give you practical help.

leelaa you were not 'attacked', trust me ! :(

You still need professional advice/help in person to be sure of travelling along the right path with this pup ..... please do not make the mistake that so many have, and try different things at home , just for other problems to surface.

A dog who 'nips' another at a dog park can be reported .. it has happened to folks on here -and you can be in trouble very quickly, without being aware :)

Edited by persephone

Good grief. People have spent their time trying to help you. They needed to give you strong advice because the situation is serious.

This is a serious matter and people are very concerned about your dog.

I wonder why you posted if you didn't want advice. Maybe next time give us a heads up that you want all advice sugar coated.

her hackles go up, she bears her teeth, growls, barks and then nips the other dog. I know she doesnt do it to hurt the other dog but to just scare them away. But I don't know why she does it.

THIS is why we are recommending a professional to work with you.You do not have the knowledge/skills to address the issue.

WE can not see your dog's body language, or know how she has been brought up. We have not seen the body language of the approaching dogs, or YOUR body language .

WE can not see how the dogs at your house interact, or how they look when feeding/playing ....

A professional ,visiting your home can see all this, and by asking questions, can work out what's going on.

This is a great place to ask for advice, but maybe not if you can't deal with a little directness.

I second the view that you need serious help with this, and in the mean time shed any idea that she is 'protecting' you from any perceived risk.

I highly doubt she thinks you are under threat. More likely she is seeking to deny other dogs access to a valuable resource - and that resource is you. But someone knowledgeable needs to observe what is happening to say that for sure, and to guide you in how to get the message across to her that you decide who you pat, not her. That's why you need someone with real experience to help you.

Please get some help or you may end up with a dog you can't confidently take out in public at all, and that would be a terrible outcome for you and her.

Why are you taking your dog to the park so you can sit on the ground and cuddle other dogs while she carries on? Go to the park on your own if you want cuddles from strange dogs while letting your dog behave badly

I understand where everyone is coming from and I apologise for getting defensive. I think the reason is because I am very sensitive when it comes to me doing something wrong with my dogs. I pride myself on trying my best to be the best owner I can be and all I want is for my dogs and all other dogs to be safe.

It did feel like I was getting attacked tjhough because I have never posted on a forum before and I don't know how to take other peoples reactions.

I hope you can all understand that I DID want advice. But I didn't know how to take the seriousness of the advice I was getting.

I will make sure I get professional help straight away for my little girl.

thank you.

I understand where everyone is coming from and I apologise for getting defensive. I think the reason is because I am very sensitive when it comes to me doing something wrong with my dogs. I pride myself on trying my best to be the best owner I can be and all I want is for my dogs and all other dogs to be safe.

It did feel like I was getting attacked tjhough because I have never posted on a forum before and I don't know how to take other peoples reactions.

I hope you can all understand that I DID want advice. But I didn't know how to take the seriousness of the advice I was getting.

I will make sure I get professional help straight away for my little girl.

thank you.

Good stuff. Would also suggest K9Pro.

And seriously - stay out of the dog park in the interim. Or at least don't encourage other dogs to approach.

Sure for sure, Leelaa. Where are you and maybe we can put you in contact with a really great dog trainer. It's as much for you as for your dog.

eta ditto K9Pro.

Edited by raz

Great news. It is hard/impossible for anyone to diagnose a problem like this over the Internet, hence everyones suggestions to seek a professional.

The other thing that immediately sprang to my mind is that if she's Reacting to dogs in your space, it is possible that at some point she may also start to react to other people in your space.

Good on you for getting help. Good luck & let us know how you go :)