Long Lived Dogs

shortstep

This is a very thought-provoking topic. While I agree that quality of life is very important (so I wouldn't my dogs hanging around for years and years when they were miserable and in pain) but I am hopeful that my Kelpie cross and Kelpie will be able to have long-ish, healthy lives. I was horrified to read that Bernese Mountain Dogs have a lifespan of about 7-8 years and that a large number die of cancer - that seems like far too short a lifespan :D

Aside from genetic disorders that are common in certain breeds, is there are reason why many larger breeds have a shorter lifespan? Are there any large breeds who are long-lived?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it has something to do with their organs etc working harder due to their size? Being the 'extreme' of their species, things wear out quicker?

They start of small and grow rapidly to a size much bigger than they started - perhaps that's somehow relevant?

But then with that theory, it doesn't make sense as to why larger parrots live longer than smaller parrots.

It is weird, because typically in mammals it's the other way around. Smaller mammals have shorter lifespans, and it has to do with a faster metabolism. Though there's no causal relationship between size and lifespan in mammals, there are direct correlations. (The mammals with the shortest lifespan are also the smallest).

From a brief search, I was unable to find any information about why big dogs seem to have shorter lifespans, with the only theories being that the increased strain on their organs and joints leads to an early grave. This doesn't make sense to me, because wild dogs in captivity can live just as long, and they tend to be large. To me this suggests that it had something to do with the development of the breeds by man.

This is probably totally out there but... Perhaps because typically larger dogs were kept for working and smaller dogs were kept for companionship, and younger dogs (1-6) were more useful working dogs than the older ones (7+) they never worried about how long they lived after that, or it was a lesser factor?

Edited by jacqui835

Just read this which again to me suggests longevity was determined in the development of the breed, so by man.

# Size of dog. Generally, small dogs live much longer than large dogs. On average, small dogs have a life span 1.5 times that of a large dog. The following table illustrates this.

# Breed. The breed of dog is a strong indicator of its life expectancy. In part this is related to the above factor; large breeds generally have a shorter lifespan than small breeds. However, even within the same weight category, some breeds live longer than others. For example, a Doberman Pinscher can easily reach 15 years of age and sometimes 20 despite the fact that it is a large dog (about 35 kg. or 77 pounds) whereas the smaller Boxer is shorter-lived and often does not reach 10 years of age.

Now unfortunately it seems we don't have any of these long living dobermans in Australia, but statistically, they seem to be one of the longer living medium to large breeds.

To create the special features of the boxer (squashed face etc) they probably used more inbreeding in the beginning, whereas the doberman was created through combining several breeds quite recently. I've read a few articles on 'inbreeding depression' which would serve as one potential explanation.

For anyone who's interested, wikipedia does a pretty good job of summing it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding_depression

This is a very thought-provoking topic. While I agree that quality of life is very important (so I wouldn't my dogs hanging around for years and years when they were miserable and in pain) but I am hopeful that my Kelpie cross and Kelpie will be able to have long-ish, healthy lives. I was horrified to read that Bernese Mountain Dogs have a lifespan of about 7-8 years and that a large number die of cancer - that seems like far too short a lifespan :hug:

Aside from genetic disorders that are common in certain breeds, is there are reason why many larger breeds have a shorter lifespan? Are there any large breeds who are long-lived?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it has something to do with their organs etc working harder due to their size? Being the 'extreme' of their species, things wear out quicker?

They start of small and grow rapidly to a size much bigger than they started - perhaps that's somehow relevant?

But then with that theory, it doesn't make sense as to why larger parrots live longer than smaller parrots.

It is weird, because typically in mammals it's the other way around. Smaller mammals have shorter lifespans, and it has to do with a faster metabolism. Though there's no causal relationship between size and lifespan in mammals, there are direct correlations. (The mammals with the shortest lifespan are also the smallest).

From a brief search, I was unable to find any information about why big dogs seem to have shorter lifespans, with the only theories being that the increased strain on their organs and joints leads to an early grave. This doesn't make sense to me, because wild dogs in captivity can live just as long, and they tend to be large. To me this suggests that it had something to do with the development of the breeds by man.

This is probably totally out there but... Perhaps because typically larger dogs were kept for working and smaller dogs were kept for companionship, and younger dogs (1-6) were more useful working dogs than the older ones (7+) they never worried about how long they lived after that, or it was a lesser factor?

Thats funny I dont remember seeing very many tall old men

whereas the doberman was created through combining several breeds quite recently. I've read a few articles on 'inbreeding depression' which would serve as one potential explanation.

I read on study today on inbreeding and longevity in Dobs, cannot find the orignal study but it is copied on this chat group

http://www.dobermann-review.com/phpBB/view...e119595299abd9f

From what I could make out (print is so small I had trouble reading it, dobs are experiencing decreasing lenght of life and this study claims there is relationship to increasing COI.

I found this one interesting, smooth and long coated Dachshound, Life Span, Inbreeding and sex

http://www.ejpau.media.pl/volume8/issue4/art-71.html

Thats funny I dont remember seeing very many tall old men

Why don't you ever see really tall old people? http://www.strangequestions.com/question/5...l#ixzz1FcEQCye3

Really tall old people exist and there’s no incredibly strange reason why you don’t see them that often. The fact of the matter is that it is simply due to numbers. The numbers combine with the fact that younger people are more in the spotlight than older people. For instance, we can see really tall young to middle-aged men simply by turning the TV to a basketball game. There are few, if any, basketball games played by old people, and, if there are, they aren’t nationally televised. Old people tend to stay indoors more than young people. Also, many old people have problems walking and you tend to see old people in sitting positions more often than standing positions.

Freakishly, Guinness Book and circus, tall people are usually tall because they have a medical problem. The same condition that made them freakishly tall causes complications that often end their lives early. In many cases, their bones degenerate and cause problems with their immune system. I can assure you, however, that tall people do exist, but just as all other groups of people, their numbers thin out the older they get. According to a report by the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics from 1994, only 2.1% of American males in their 20s were over 6’ 3”. The percentage of American males in their 30s was 1.9%. For men in their 40s the percent jumps to 2.8%, but then drops back down for men in their 50s to 1.8%. For the following ages, the numbers dramatically decrease to .5% in their 60s, .1% in their 70s, and .2% of men 80 or older. So, while tall people are not as common when they are older, they are still here.

Edited by shortstep

tall people also shrink :o my mum found she had shrunk 10cm (since 1980) when she had to get a new passport :hug:

Re dogs, all our dogs have lived to a fairly old age, youngest went at 12 with a brain tumour, body and organs were excellent :laugh: I've had wolfies aged 11, ACDs 15, terriers in their 20s,

I honestly don't know why many of our dogs have lived a long time, some of them during the times when dogs had table scraps and doggy 'sports' were unknown. Personally, all I can think of with us is that the animals had company, didn't ever suffer stress, comforts of warmth or coolness and places to rest that did not encourage arthritis etc. and good and prompt medical care, and of course.... LOTS of love...

It would be wonderful to have dogs living longer.

Edited by Monah

There is also a longevity register in America for Sharpei. Both our girls that passed away last year were registered and there has been quite a few others bred by the girls breeder who were over 10 years old which can be pretty rare for a Sharpei. Hopefully they will be listed one day as well.

I found it very interesting to look back and see which breeders are doing well with their dogs

Our little mixed breed dog lived until she was almost 23 yrs of age. I have no idea of her background because we found her thrown from a car as a small puppy. Visually, she looked like a cross between a black toy poodle & a tibbie. But, of course she could have been from a long line of mutts. She didn't have anything in her diet or lifestyle that was different from our other dogs. But she did have a strong-minded, feisty nature. Very sensible little dog. First vet treatment she required (apart from desexing) was some teeth surgery when she was 19 yrs old.

I've also noticed the same thing about some of the purebreds we've owned. They've had excellent health during their lifetime. Like a sheltie & a tibbie, both from Qld registered breeders, never needed any treatment for any health problems during most of their lives. After they got desexed, from then on, they required nothing more than vaccinations & in later life, a teeth clean. Interestingly, both these were feisty natured girls, too.

I found their health outstanding & it sure ensured them quality of life. And that's what I'm interested for our pets, quality of life.

Edited by mita

My grandparents pedigree Dobe lived until 14 and I believe his parents lived to a fairly old age as well. Our family dog (Kelpie x Corgi) lived to be 17. Dobe was fed chicken and rice his entire life due to allergies, Kelpie x lived on Pal. :(

I read somewhere once that the reason extreme breeds (extra large or just odd shapes, etc) don't live as long is because they are so far derived from the original dog (wolf). The original dog evolved to be a certain shape, size, etc so when we modify it so dramatically, the dogs phyiscal integrity and lifespan is affected.

Edited by Kirty