Ear Cropping

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I asked before what makes on procedure so much more palatable to the masses (Despite being an overall more painfull and dangerous one) then the others - one done at a couple of days old when nerves are not well formed and another at a young age when the ears are still soft.

It's far more palatable because it isn't done for looks. There are certain health advantages to desexing; it is impossible to get cancer of something you don't have (uterus, testicles) and desexing also reduces the chance of mammary tumours if done before the first season. There are other debatable advantages, and yes there are disadvantages but at the end of the day it is felt by most to be an advantageous thing for the dog.

Most people equate docking and cropping with chopping off a leg because you think tripod dogs look cool. It's the intent and need that is important to most, not the scale of the surgery.

It's far more palatable because it isn't done for looks. There are certain health advantages to desexing; it is impossible to get cancer of something you don't have (uterus, testicles) and desexing also reduces the chance of mammary tumours if done before the first season. There are other debatable advantages, and yes there are disadvantages but at the end of the day it is felt by most to be an advantageous thing for the dog.

to me and many others this is just as a subjective thing as cropping is to most. I dont like the idea of just desexing because everyone else does it so it must be good. I dont see the advantages outweighing the disadvantages at all in most cases with desexing, whereas I do with cropping and docking for my purposes. I also see the procedures are much less then a spey on an adolescent/adult dog. As for the cancer risk, a natural hormone required for growth is now something to be afraid of so we cut it out - yet then we slather our dogs in every chemical under the sun. If sex hormones were that dangerous all species would have died out by now.

It's all about perception. Saying that I think the fact our hands are tied is unfair. If the government was so worried about it being 'cruel' then they should have put in place an accreditation scheme and registration for veterinarians who are licensed to carry out the procedure.

Like I said I'm not trying to be difficult, I just would like people to have a good think about the whole thing before just spouting the propaganda that has been flooding the market. I see no logical thought except what has come from anti-cropping and docking slogans. Thats why, I had a good think about it, weighed it up, was a vet nurse for years, and I dont see a problem with it if done properly

I see no logical thought except what has come from anti-cropping and docking slogans.

As long as the pro-choppers continue to tell people the only reason they are against these things is because they are "illogical" or "ignorant to all the information" there will never be a change in stance from anyone.

There is just as much logic in your reasoning that they are no different (or that desexing is worse) as there is in seeing a difference based on intent.

Personally I find ripping the reproductive organs out of immature pups more distasteful than the thought that some people may dock or crop for aesthetics. You will never convince me that early desexing is in the best interests of the animal, it is a procedure of convenience.

A lifetime of living with working gundog breeds and other traditionally docked breeds, and an appreciation for the original purpose of different breeds may give me a different perspective.

I made my stance. I prefer the utility crop, not the tall show crop which is a vanity thing. I dont like the tall crop as invariably it flops, especially at the tips, and to me that looks rediculous and really is a waste of time.

My point about illogical arguments was when you mention cropping you get the same old thing. A few people in here are still on the vanity only bandwagon which shows they truely have not researched anything at all. I didnt mean to infer anyone was ignorant, I just wish if people wanted to discuss this they looked into it properly. Otherwise its just another merrygoround ride to nowhere :cry:

Personally I find ripping the reproductive organs out of immature pups more distasteful than the thought that some people may dock or crop for aesthetics. You will never convince me that early desexing is in the best interests of the animal, it is a procedure of convenience.

And though I early desex some pups, I fully support you having your opinion that it is bad (even when it's expressed in such a confrontational manner). There ARE subjective issues in so many decisions we make for our dogs, so it is easy to find people with opposing opinions that are just as valid as each other. :)

My point about illogical arguments was when you mention cropping you get the same old thing. A few people in here are still on the vanity only bandwagon which shows they truely have not researched anything at all. I didnt mean to infer anyone was ignorant, I just wish if people wanted to discuss this they looked into it properly. Otherwise its just another merrygoround ride to nowhere

And I was more talking about the standard cry that "you don't know the full information" rather than just your post; so I think we're both trying to stop the merry-go-round starting. Though without them, DOL probably wouldn't exist. :cry:

Edited by molasseslass