Ear Cropping

Is ear cropping illegal in Australia? If so, why? What are people's opinion on ear cropping? I love Great Danes (might not ever get to own one but can always hope) and I love the cropped ear look. I think it makes the dog look very noble and smart. Don't want to cause any controvery but as I mentioned in the topic description I could not find out very much info.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But does anyone know WHY it's illegal?

Because it's considered to be a barbaric practice that no longer has any justification and is not in the interests of the dogs.

Outside of working livestock guardian circles, its done for cosmetic purposes only, to pups old enough to feel it and it's not a nice procedure.

To summarise: It's cruel.

Edited by poodlefan

It's been illegal longer than I have owned dogs and that's a long time, you'd have to do some research of your own to see exactly what underlay the relevant legistation at the time.

But in summary I'd say it's seen as unnecessary mutilation of an animal for purely cosmetic purposes, which is unacceptable to the vast majority of Australians as a welfare issue. And that view has a snowflakes chance in hell of ever being turned around. For which I am quite happy personally.

Edited by Diva

So because the dogs are not used for hunting etc like they were bred for it is seen as not needed anymore, I can make sense of that. I just thought that maybe there were medical problems associated with long ears and that's why they used to crop them.

So because the dogs are not used for hunting etc like they were bred for it is seen as not needed anymore, I can make sense of that. I just thought that maybe there were medical problems associated with long ears and that's why they used to crop them.

In some breeds it was done to prevent damage. Once the reason for the damage no longer occured, it was done for cosmetic reasons only.

I believe the crop they did for hunting purposes was quite different to what you see today. I think a lot of more the ear was taken off and I don't think they went through the whole taping process that happens these days.

Here's a picture of the early type hunting Dane.

info1.jpg

Quite different to the cropped ears we see today

Hhmmm...interesting picture. Well now that I know that it is illegal becuase it is downright cruel I change my view. I would rather know that a dog has not been in pain rather than it looking good. Just out of curiousity now, does anyone know of, or know where to find the prcedure/how it is done?

Hhmmm...interesting picture. Well now that I know that it is illegal becuase it is downright cruel I change my view. I would rather know that a dog has not been in pain rather than it looking good. Just out of curiousity now, does anyone know of, or know where to find the prcedure/how it is done?

Basically it's just cutting a chunk of the ear off, say about half, whilst they are young and then using a particular taping method to hold them erect so they eventually stay up.

You can still see ears cropped like that picture in livestock guarding dogs in some parts of eastern Europe. It's not supposed to be just cosmetic for them, it's said to be functional given the predators they deter. Although at least one exhibitor in Russia told me no predator capable of harming his dogs existed within hundreds of kilometres of where they lived, it was now just tradition to keep amputating the ears. But I am sure it's still functional in some regions.

Edited by Diva

Google ear cropping & Doberman & USA and you'll probably get pages of pictures and info about the after-surgery care required.

OMG I just searched via google images and found some horrible photos of dogs going through ear cropping. The poor thing! I guess photos like this are required in making people realise that it is such a cruel practice-it has certainly changed my mind!

You could always ask Evander Holyfield how he feels about having his ear cropped. He wasn't very happy at the time.

I think if the dog could give informed consent, then things might be different but dogs and children cannot do this or understand the potential consequences so it's inappropriate for us to make the decision for cosmetic surgery for them.

I think if the dog could give informed consent, then things might be different but dogs and children cannot do this or understand the potential consequences so it's inappropriate for us to make the decision for cosmetic surgery for them.

oh please ... and having a vet ferret through your abdomen to cut out your uterus and ovaries is a walk in the park ... we see this as bararic but no problem depriving a growing puppy of normal growth and development by cutting out their reproductive organs.

ear cropping was done for a few reasons. 1) to prevent frostbite in the extremities of some breeds 2) for health consideations in floppy eared breeds and 3) to prevent damage during work. Tail docking was a similar thing done. The old style crop was different to the stupid floppy, pointed crop it evolved into.

Having dogs that work and seeing ear/dew claws/tail damage and how it affects the workability of the adult dog I wouldnt say it's a bad thing. Have your car/house covered in blood, or see your dog in pain because of a poorly formed tail/ear and you see why it's done. It's done by veterinarians under anaesthetic and removing a flap of skin on the ear you dont remove cartilage as you need that to retain the structure of the remaining ear. taping is done to help train the cartilge to stand in the position, taping is often done in a lot of breeds not cropped to help their ears develop the proper structure for the show ring.

Personally I dont agree with the ban. But there wont be vets who know how to do a beautiful job anymore in this country. I'll have my cropped and docked import one day. I think a well done job is really attractive

CaneCorso_EarCrop_Good_3.jpg

shortcrop.jpg

miniature-schnauzer.jpg

Edited by Nekhbet