Dog Breeding Courses

GSD FAN

Are there any dog breeding courses that would suit those working in the vet industry? i don't want to breed myself but working in a vet clinic I am often asked questions by breeders and I cannot answer their questions. We deal with alot of breeders and i would love to be able to understand what theyre talking about and give them the correct information. i have done previous courses but none of them go into depth.

What about getting to know a few of your breeder clients. There are some very knowledgeable breeders out there that I am sure would be willing to assist.

There are of course basic and heavier breeding books on the market that give you the information you can study. But I have found also hands on been there done that practical is one of the best learning tools. Those that have been there and done it can pass on that knowledge.

The dogs have not read the same books as us, and while the text books are great for a basic knowledge and understanding, sometimes personal experience is what comes down to it when you are there and up to know elbows in birthing fluid.

No one should do a course on anything unless someone who has completed the course has recommended it.

Have you considered buying a few books on breeding - check out A mazon, or ask on here. I like Hilary Harmer's Dogs and How to Breed them, and a few others, and people will recommend others, I am sure. Much cheaper, and if you read books you like, you can then recommend them to enquirers, which take the heat off you.

No one should do a course on anything unless someone who has completed the course has recommended it.

Have you considered buying a few books on breeding - check out A mazon, or ask on here. I like Hilary Harmer's Dogs and How to Breed them, and a few others, and people will recommend others, I am sure. Much cheaper, and if you read books you like, you can then recommend them to enquirers, which take the heat off you.

Really???????

So your recommendation is to not do a course if someone hasn't recommended but go look for a nameless book on Amazon????

Really???????

So your recommendation is to not do a course if someone hasn't recommended but go look for a nameless book on Amazon????

I named a book, and I suggested others would recommend different books.

And yes, obviously that is my recommendation. Why do you feel you have the right to question that? I would not have written it UNLESS it was my recommendation.

Do you have a problem with that? If so, why?

Others have recommended other things. Why have you not asked them the same questions?

There are plenty of good books out there.

Not all courses benefit everyone. And really, before going on any course, you should have SOME idea beforehand.

Not everything can be solved by just going on a course. I cannot think of many if any of the breeders here ever had the benefit of a course.

Our knowledge has been gained from books, internet, and life experience. It is research, talking to other breeders and comparing practical experiences that gives us OUR knowledge.

There is good information to be found in an un-named book. You won't know what its like until you start to read it.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4897411

Recommendation as requested

Written by AmandaJ on 21/10/10

Go to the Mater Dog Breeders site - their Certificate courses are fantastic. I've learned far more from them than I have from any breeder. My mother used to breed and she's astounded at the stuff I'm learning. End Quote

AmandaJ received a distinction in our Introduction to Canine Breeding and Parasitology courses - She was last Years MDBA student of the Year in the Dog Owners Choice Awards.

Gosh, I guess they'd best stop making new courses and upgrading existing ones!

Hi GSD fan, :rofl:

I bred my first litter of puppies last year & I highly recommend the book "Book of the Bitch" A complete guide to understanding & caring for bitches by J.M. Evans & Kay White (This book is a fantastic reference & ended up becoming my bible)

The other 2 books I have in my book shelf & that where also very helpful where -

"The whelping & Rearing of Puppies, A complete & practical guide by Muriel P. Lee

"Successful Dog breeding " The complete handbook of canine midwifery

by Cris Walkowicz & Bonnie Wilcox, D.V.M.

All books can be found easily on Amazon.

I'm not too sure about courses but the MDBA ones look really good & I wouldn't mind doing one myself. :)

Also have a good read through the threads in our breeders forum its amazing how much you can learn just by reading some of these threads. :)

Nicole

Edited by Baileys mum

I'm currently doing a Emergency Medicine course through Vet Education and so far finding it good. I do remember seeing that there's going to be a Repro one coming up sometime which might be good? It's something I've thought about too because we don't really have breeder clients, but if we did I want to feel like I know what I'm doing. The courses cost a little but, but they're run by vets in the field and you get a lot of resources and the discussion boards are quiet active. If you explain how it could benefit your clinic, perhaps your boss would pay for it for you?

Another thing I've thought about is doing some work experience in a clinic that's known for its repro work - just hard trying to find the time!!!

Really???????

I named a book, and I suggested others would recommend different books.

And yes, obviously that is my recommendation. Why do you feel you have the right to question that? I would not have written it UNLESS it was my recommendation.

Do you have a problem with that? If so, why?

Others have recommended other things. Why have you not asked them the same questions?

No one else said not to do the course.

So according to your logic university students shouldn't do any courses unless they have a personal recommendation for every unit the want to do?

This is very odd and naive advice to give.

So according to your logic university students shouldn't do any courses unless they have a personal recommendation for every unit the want to do?

Can we please leave the attacks out of this and let people have their opinions without constantly having to justify themselves to you?

It all depends on what you are looking for and what you want to learn most about

Our Introduction course covers a lot of the ethics of breeding - how to find and deal with puppy buyers ,contracts etc

You can find info on the cycles and how the bitch works etc in numerous books and all over the net but ours cover things which are hard to find especially if you dont know what you are looking for.

It does cover the basics of the reproduction of the species but we have another course Equiv to about year 3 uni - Canine Reproduction which goes really into the science and veterinary stuff and doesnt touch on the ethics stuff.

If you are not intending to breed and the ethics and other issues apart from how puppies are made and whelped are things you dont need and you want the more advanced technical stuff then the Canine Reproduction one is better suited to your needs.

You will get enough from the books recommended to be able to answer the basic stuff but if you want to be able to be more informed you need more.

If you launch into the hard stuff before you get the basics especially if you are not actually doing the whole process yourself - its a really hard ask.

The canine reproduction course sounds interesting Steve.Might have to look into that more. Also, thanks for the recommendations on the books Bailey's Mum. I will definitely check them out. Iam hoping that work will want to pay for any training as it can only benefit the business, now to just convince them:) Thanks everyone for the advice, didnt expect any arguments to arise.

Can we please leave the attacks out of this and let people have their opinions without constantly having to justify themselves to you?

There was no personal attack it was a question regarding the logic of the statement.

I gave my opinion as I am allowed on a public forum just as anyone else can.

In my opinion there is no course or book on earth that can beat hands on experience. If you can, find a mentor in your chosen breed that has been breeding for a long time (not an easy task but can be done) and spend as much time as you can with them. An experienced breeder has probably seen it all and their knowledge is invaluable.