Dog Breeding Courses

GSD FAN

In my opinion there is no course or book on earth that can beat hands on experience. If you can, find a mentor in your chosen breed that has been breeding for a long time (not an easy task but can be done) and spend as much time as you can with them. An experienced breeder has probably seen it all and their knowledge is invaluable.

I was an autodidactic for years and when I undertook Tertiary study it complemented and added to my knowledge.

In my opinion there is a place for self-learning and formal study and as both complement each other I think a mix of both brings out the best results.

No one should do a course on anything unless someone who has completed the course has recommended it.

Have you considered buying a few books on breeding - check out A mazon, or ask on here. I like Hilary Harmer's Dogs and How to Breed them, and a few others, and people will recommend others, I am sure. Much cheaper, and if you read books you like, you can then recommend them to enquirers, which take the heat off you.

Not just going along with Jed cause I want to but I would also totally recommend this book.

We have it. Yes it is quite a few years old now but I am sure you will find it very very informative.

Mum has a huge library of books. I will scan them when we go back to NZ in 10 days and get back to you with some more if you are looking at buying some books.

Yes, You cant beat hands on experience but I totally recommend learning through books as well. there is always something to learn.

Edited by stonebridge

No one should do a course on anything unless someone who has completed the course has recommended it.

Have you considered buying a few books on breeding - check out A mazon, or ask on here. I like Hilary Harmer's Dogs and How to Breed them, and a few others, and people will recommend others, I am sure. Much cheaper, and if you read books you like, you can then recommend them to enquirers, which take the heat off you.

Really???????

So your recommendation is to not do a course if someone hasn't recommended but go look for a nameless book on Amazon????

I named a book, and I suggested others would recommend different books.

And yes, obviously that is my recommendation. Why do you feel you have the right to question that? I would not have written it UNLESS it was my recommendation.

Do you have a problem with that? If so, why?

Others have recommended other things. Why have you not asked them the same questions?

No one else said not to do the course.

So according to your logic university students shouldn't do any courses unless they have a personal recommendation for every unit the want to do?

This is very odd and naive advice to give.

"No one else said not to do the course"

I didn't say not to do it, you might like to go back and re-read.

So, according to you, everyone has to believe the same thing, and give the same advice? If the advice from everyone is not the same, is it "odd" or "naive", or both. Is that not so? We could dispense with these forums, which have always given a balance of opnion - and have just one person answering all posts each day? Then all opinions would agree.

No, it is not odd or naive advice, it might seem odd to you, but then, I might think some things you say are odd, or stupid, or naive, or lunatic, but restrain myself from commenting, because it is a public forum, and everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I have the tolerance and good manners to allow you to have your opinions, no matter what I think of them.

You might try doing the same.

That you think Dogs & How to Breed Them is "a nameless book on Amazon" is a perfect example of your naivety and lack of knowledge

My advice was to study ONE OF THE VERY BEST BOOKS on dog breeding, and puppy raising, BY ONE OF THE MOST WELL RESPECTED BREEDERS AND JUDGES IN THE WORLD. A book which has constantly been reprinted for the past 30 years, because it is so good. Not my opinion, accepted fact.

With your minimal knowledge, I would not expect you to know anything of Hilary Harmer, but I am surprised anyone with any education would denigrate something you know nothing whatsoever about.

You have, I presume, done the MDBA course "introduction to Breeding" so you can speak with authority of it and recommend it? Would you like to share that with the forum?

The op is wondering why there should be an argument. S/he is not the only one!!!!

You haven't answered all my questions, you might like to do so.

And you might like to tell us why university students shouldn't do any courses unless they have had a personal recommendation?

What do the mdba courses and university courses have in common in your opinion?

And why you believe my advice is "odd" and "naive"?

Thanks, look forward to your response. :rofl:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4897411

Recommendation as requested

Written by AmandaJ on 21/10/10

Go to the Mater Dog Breeders site - their Certificate courses are fantastic. I've learned far more from them than I have from any breeder. My mother used to breed and she's astounded at the stuff I'm learning. End Quote

AmandaJ received a distinction in our Introduction to Canine Breeding and Parasitology courses - She was last Years MDBA student of the Year in the Dog Owners Choice Awards.

There's really no argument now. The course has been recommended. Not that I agree with what Jed originally said (because if that were the case according to you, Jed, no-one would ever or should ever venture into unknown territory), but regardless, it's a moot point now.

Edited by Erny

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4897411

Recommendation as requested

Written by AmandaJ on 21/10/10

Go to the Mater Dog Breeders site - their Certificate courses are fantastic. I've learned far more from them than I have from any breeder. My mother used to breed and she's astounded at the stuff I'm learning. End Quote

AmandaJ received a distinction in our Introduction to Canine Breeding and Parasitology courses - She was last Years MDBA student of the Year in the Dog Owners Choice Awards.

There's really no argument now. The course has been recommended. Not that I agree with what Jed originally said (because if that were the case according to you, Jed, no-one would ever or should ever venture into unknown territory), but regardless, it's a moot point now.

No, Erny, no one should do something without finding out about it, and possibly finding someone who has done the same thing .... and we have a recommendation from AmandaJ .... so that is good.

I give the same advice about trainers (sorry Erny), about boarding kennels, and about breeders .... time after time after time. And I will continue to do it. Not everyone is going to recommend the same thing.

There are numerous people on here (or who were on here) who are happy with the pups from breeders I recommended, who have well trained dogs by trainers I recommended. I will not recommend anything or anyone unless I know them and what they do .... or someone trustworthy has recommended them.

And that is not unreasonable.

Edited by Jed

Courses, papers, educational exams. Call them what you like.

Where is all the reference material sourced from when these Tutors/lecturers make up these courses?

Books maybe? Hands on experience maybe?

Learning comes from many sources. Not just one course on a peice of paper.

We are recommending some books. There are some exceptional ones out there.

Good luck with your venture

I give the same advice about trainers (sorry Erny) ...

No need for apologies, Jed - didn't expect or need one.

No, Erny, no one should do something without finding out about it, and possibly finding someone who has done the same thing .... and we have a recommendation from AmandaJ .... so that is good.

I agree with you that getting some feedback about things (whether it be courses; trainers; groomers; breeders; ..... even rescuers/fosters) is a huge advantage. And I'm in more agreement with what you've said in this last post - you should find out about things first and it is great if you can possibly find someone who has done the same thing. That's a bit different to what you originally said but now that you've reworded and explained, I'm inclined to agree with you in regards to the above.

Edited by Erny

Really???????

So your recommendation is to not do a course if someone hasn't recommended but go look for a nameless book on Amazon????

I named a book, and I suggested others would recommend different books.

And yes, obviously that is my recommendation. Why do you feel you have the right to question that? I would not have written it UNLESS it was my recommendation.

Do you have a problem with that? If so, why?

Others have recommended other things. Why have you not asked them the same questions?

No one else said not to do the course.

So according to your logic university students shouldn't do any courses unless they have a personal recommendation for every unit the want to do?

This is very odd and naive advice to give.

"No one else said not to do the course"

I didn't say not to do it, you might like to go back and re-read.

So, according to you, everyone has to believe the same thing, and give the same advice? If the advice from everyone is not the same, is it "odd" or "naive", or both. Is that not so? We could dispense with these forums, which have always given a balance of opnion - and have just one person answering all posts each day? Then all opinions would agree.

No, it is not odd or naive advice, it might seem odd to you, but then, I might think some things you say are odd, or stupid, or naive, or lunatic, but restrain myself from commenting, because it is a public forum, and everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I have the tolerance and good manners to allow you to have your opinions, no matter what I think of them.

You might try doing the same.

That you think Dogs & How to Breed Them is "a nameless book on Amazon" is a perfect example of your naivety and lack of knowledge

My advice was to study ONE OF THE VERY BEST BOOKS on dog breeding, and puppy raising, BY ONE OF THE MOST WELL RESPECTED BREEDERS AND JUDGES IN THE WORLD. A book which has constantly been reprinted for the past 30 years, because it is so good. Not my opinion, accepted fact.

With your minimal knowledge, I would not expect you to know anything of Hilary Harmer, but I am surprised anyone with any education would denigrate something you know nothing whatsoever about.

You have, I presume, done the MDBA course "introduction to Breeding" so you can speak with authority of it and recommend it? Would you like to share that with the forum?

The op is wondering why there should be an argument. S/he is not the only one!!!!

You haven't answered all my questions, you might like to do so.

And you might like to tell us why university students shouldn't do any courses unless they have had a personal recommendation?

What do the mdba courses and university courses have in common in your opinion?

And why you believe my advice is "odd" and "naive"?

Thanks, look forward to your response. :)

:rofl::) :) ;) :o :p :laugh: :laugh: :cry::rofl:

I was an autodidactic for years and when I undertook Tertiary study it complemented and added to my knowledge.

In my opinion there is a place for self-learning and formal study and as both complement each other I think a mix of both brings out the best results.

So in your self taught opinion, how does one learn to respect others and THEIR opinions, regardless of whether we agree with them or not? To ridicule and laugh at others opinions, ie. call them "naive" and "odd" does you no favours at all, and will only hamper your own learning.

So in your self taught opinion, how does one learn to respect others and THEIR opinions, regardless of whether we agree with them or not? To ridicule and laugh at others opinions, ie. call them "naive" and "odd" does you no favours at all, and will only hamper your own learning.

I know this question wasnt directed at me but I would just like to add.

In order to learn, in my opinion, you must first have good self discipline, self esteem and respect for those who are teaching. I am sure this list can be added to.

I would challenge anyone who says they know it all, especially when it comes to breeding dogs.

I love to learn, but there is only so much I can take in at one time so my references are my Mentor, books and never being afraid to ask someone a question if I need to.

Maybe I should have gone with the long explanation, maybe I thought I wrote enough. Who knows, who cares? And there was nothing personal. :)

That's good ;). It was better re-worded as it said something different. But the main thing is that the OP receives some direction towards some Dog Breeding Courses that will help her and suit her needs. And in this I hope the thread has helped the OP :):rofl: .