Qld Cat Killer May Avoid Prison

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/break...y-avoid-prison/

A man convicted of hanging a cat may have his sentence increased although he could escape having to serve time in jail, a Brisbane court has heard.

Russell Hudson, 47, of the Sunshine Coast, pleaded guilty last August to animal cruelty and received a two-month sentence with parole after two weeks.

Hudson, who did not appear in court, hanged a neighbour's cat after baiting it with food. He filmed the death on a video camera connected to his home computer.

The RSPCA appealed the sentence as inadequate, while Hudson's lawyers argued the penalty was too severe.

District Court judge Ian Dearden, who reserved his decision, indicated he had concerns with the sentence handed down by Magistrate Sheryl Cornack.

"An adequate sentence of three months with immediate parole would be adequate punishment and act as a deterrent for what is despicable conduct," Judge Dearden told the court.

"Two weeks in jail does awful things to people's lives even though we may think they deserve it."

Simon Lewis, QC, appearing for Hudson, told the court he believed an increase in the sentence but with immediate parole was satisfactory.

"Understanding this is your honour's preliminary view, it would not be one that would cause my client any sense of grief," Mr Lewis said.

Scott Lynch, QC, representing the RSPCA, said a four-month sentence was more appropriate.

Judge Dearden reserved his decision to a date to be fixed, to be handed down in the Beenleigh Magistrate's Court.

Grrr...this makes me angry. He should go to jail. He killed an innocent creature that was someone's pet, for fun? He took a life and should pay for that crime. This is where I believe and rejoice in community punishment - that others will ensure he pays for his crime when the justice system does not. Like the woman who put the cat in the wheelie bin...

• 2 weeks later...