Pumi

I have fallen in love with the look of this dog. I've emailed an Australian breeder 2 weeks ago but haven't heard back I want to know more about them.

Has anyone met one, if so what is your opinion? Does anyone know if there are more than one breeder in Australia?

From what I've heard they are very very full on and can be 'temperamental', not 'cutesy' like they look re appearance :thumbsup: but I have not met one personally..so that is not from experience.

From what I've heard they are very very full on and can be 'temperamental', not 'cutesy' like they look re appearance :( but I have not met one personally..so that is not from experience.

This is the information I need to find out by talking to someone who has a good knowledge of the breed and experience of owning a few. If I knew who to talk to I could just ask someone else but there's only one breeder listed whenever I've searched.

BL - is that Mr & Mrs Mellion? They are the people whom I know who owned a couple of pumi and they also had a kuvasz (sp). They were very well know sheltie breeders in the earlier years but they were quite elderly when they were last showing.

blab, i've always found breeders overseas are great for info on the breeds that are rare here and have often emailed with great success. even if you find a Pumi breed club (eg in UK? or elsewhere) and then find them on facebook and ask for information as I belong to several OS clubs that have great facebook sites too and lots of terrific people who can impart all sorts of knowledge :)

Crufts is also on and there are HEAPS of aussies there for it so maybe there is scope for some info there.

I do understand different dogs from the same breed can be entirely different, have one myself who is not typical :eek:

as far as I understand some Pumi can be very challenging, but I guess many breeds can. they sound like a LOT of dog.. ;) :laugh:

The breed standard describes the Pumi as "unable to keep quiet".

That was the impression I got from the doco I watched. They are great little herders, but they bark the whole time they are working, that's their style and it's a high pitched, ear-cracking yip-yip-yip. It's a sound that would drive your neighbours to justifiable murder if they had to listen to it for any length of time.

blab, i've always found breeders overseas are great for info on the breeds that are rare here and have often emailed with great success. even if you find a Pumi breed club (eg in UK? or elsewhere) and then find them on facebook and ask for information as I belong to several OS clubs that have great facebook sites too and lots of terrific people who can impart all sorts of knowledge :laugh:

Crufts is also on and there are HEAPS of aussies there for it so maybe there is scope for some info there.

I do understand different dogs from the same breed can be entirely different, have one myself who is not typical :)

as far as I understand some Pumi can be very challenging, but I guess many breeds can. they sound like a LOT of dog.. :cry::)

Thanks Monah - that's a great idea. :cry:

I am not looking for a dog any time soon. Just enquiring about a few breeds for the future. I cannot fathom living without my beautiful labs so I'm forcing myself to look beyond them being with me. Planning a non-shedding breed next time. :cry:

They remind me of lakeland terrors ;)

:laugh::o :p I adore Lakelands.. mine were absolutely wonderful, terrific happy chappies :rofl::):) perfect kids dogs too. Hey Blab, take a look at them as well, non shedding. :laugh: very healthy long lived breed too.