Simple Trick For Bc Puppy

Lja1302

Hi,

I have a 17week BC and next week in Puppy Preschool we need to bring a trick along with us. Just something simple but I'm not exactly sure what to teach Ollie. I was thinking maybe a bow or a beg. He already sits, lies down, stay's and goes to his mat on command.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I have a 17week BC and next week in Puppy Preschool we need to bring a trick along with us. Just something simple but I'm not exactly sure what to teach Ollie. I was thinking maybe a bow or a beg. He already sits, lies down, stay's and goes to his mat on command.

Any suggestions?

What about shake hands...that's easy. I am finding Bow a bit hard to teach my BC even though she knows a bag full of tricks. Are you clicker training him???

any trick is easy for a BC! LOL

I would also think shake hands or high five would be a very easy trick to teach.

If the pup is food motivated you can wave a piece of food in front of his face and he should try to paw your hand eventually. If you're using a clicker or marker word, then mark the action of lifting his paw up. When he is regularly doing this to your hand, start intorducing the command- shake hands,high 5 or whatever.

This trick is really simple i've taught it to lots of different breeds and pretty much all have picked it up really quickly (like in 3-5 x 10 min sessions).

It is also a good trick to lead into things such as high 10, beg, shy etc

Otherwise, rollover is a good one to teach and a lot of fun

What about shake hands...that's easy. I am finding Bow a bit hard to teach my BC even though she knows a bag full of tricks. Are you clicker training him???

No, I've never tired clicker training, we've just been working with hand signals and fading the lure. I'd like to learn more about it though. How did you get into clicker training?

I think shake hands might be a good place to start tomorrow, he's tuckered this afternoon after working so well for me this morning for me at preschool lol.

Edited by Lja1302

No, I've never tired clicker training, we've just been working with hand signals and fading the lure. I'd like to learn more about it though. How did you get into clicker training?

I think shake hands might be a good place to start tomorrow, he's tuckered this afternoon after working so well for me this morning for me at preschool lol.

Clicker training (or shaping) is so much fun & my BC just loves it. Basically you need a clicker & some small yummy treats. First charge your clicker (put value on it) by tossing a treat & when pup reaches it..click just before he picks it up...keep repeating this & soon he will associate the click with the treat. Then you can use the clicker/treats to shape behaviors. ie. if you want to teach him to shake..1/ click & treat when he sits..2/ touch his front leg, click & treat when he starts to lift his leg 3/ repeat clicking only the behavior you want until he is putting his paw in your hand when you offer it. You are basically shaping his behaviour tiny bit by tiny bit until the light bulb goes off, then party, party. When you are sure he knows what you want then you can put a verbal cue to it. Of course you don't do all of this in one session...break it up. You will probably need a bit of patience & go slow with the first trick, but after that being a BC :eek: he will catch on to the game & offer behaviors when he knows it is "clicker time"....that is why I never taught my girl to toilet using the clicker method :)

Clicker training (or shaping) is so much fun & my BC just loves it. Basically you need a clicker & some small yummy treats. First charge your clicker (put value on it) by tossing a treat & when pup reaches it..click just before he picks it up...keep repeating this & soon he will associate the click with the treat. Then you can use the clicker/treats to shape behaviors. ie. if you want to teach him to shake..1/ click & treat when he sits..2/ touch his front leg, click & treat when he starts to lift his leg 3/ repeat clicking only the behavior you want until he is putting his paw in your hand when you offer it. You are basically shaping his behaviour tiny bit by tiny bit until the light bulb goes off, then party, party. When you are sure he knows what you want then you can put a verbal cue to it. Of course you don't do all of this in one session...break it up. You will probably need a bit of patience & go slow with the first trick, but after that being a BC ;) he will catch on to the game & offer behaviors when he knows it is "clicker time"....that is why I never taught my girl to toilet using the clicker method :eek:

lol!! That could end up a little messy :) I might pick one up tomorrow and have a go with him. They haven't mentioned anything at puppy preschool about clickers but they didn't go into a lot of detail with crate training either which I thought was a bit odd. I will let you know how we go with using it for shake but, we've been trying to work on his water issues this week (I have the only border collie in history terrified of water I'm sure of it! ) We're slowly making improvements, in the mean time I have a grubby puppy :laugh:

Spin is a good one and my girl loves it! It's also easy to teach by luring :)

Yeah the boys of the household voted for Spin (Mainly because they want to make the command word 360 lol)

• 2 weeks later...
Spin is a good one and my girl loves it! It's also easy to teach by luring :cry:

Yeah the boys of the household voted for Spin (Mainly because they want to make the command word 360 lol)

I would be careful teaching tricks like spin (with spin always go the other way as well), beg, jumping over, crawl etc until the growth plates have closed as they can be damaging to growing joints & bones.

Good tricks for pups are as already mentioned, shake which leads to high 5 which leaves to wave. You then can teach both paws & give each one a name. You could also try speak on command & retrieving, things that are handy in later obedience trials if that's the way you'd like to go. I never taught them to my pup & am having problems with them as an adult.