The Iditarod Started Today.

sandgrubber

• 2 weeks later...
They are Alaskan Huskies, just working bred dogs, not the Siberian Huskies we are used to seeing.

Yes, I understand, but to me alot of them still look like any number of working cattle dog type crosses we have here. I dont know if kelpies could do the same thing, probably not, but it's interesting how lean and light framed some of those huskies have become to do the job. It was just an observation.

Kelpies would wither and freeze. It's too farking cold. This year the mushers did most of their running at night because it was above zero during the day and the track gets too soft for the dogs when the ice melts. Nights were cold this year . . . so the daytime melt froze . . . allowing sleds to glide. Hence the record time.

There are no breed restrictions on the Iditarod. If you showed up with a poodle team, they'd let you in. The only thing required is that the dogs can run and run and run . . . close to 2000 km. An amazing race. My sister used to live in Kotzabue, where this year's winner comes from . . . she says he is good to his dogs.

They are Alaskan Huskies, just working bred dogs, not the Siberian Huskies we are used to seeing.

Yes, I understand, but to me alot of them still look like any number of working cattle dog type crosses we have here. I dont know if kelpies could do the same thing, probably not, but it's interesting how lean and light framed some of those huskies have become to do the job. It was just an observation.