Deterioration Of Breed Standards

sandgrubber

I'm not big on the show ring . . . but things can get out of hand if there's no enforcement of standards. This is a set of puppy ads I found browsing the internet in the US awhile ago. I can't believe they're advertized as Labradors.post-8994-1299382522_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are those dogs from breeders registered with the American Kennel Club? And have those dogs been registered with the AKC?

If the answers are 'No', then any breed label can mean anything at all. Looks like in most of those pics, it does.

Can you give us the link to the web site?

I am wondering if these are give away cross bred pups. That black dog looks a cross bred (does he have a bearded face?) mature pet dog looking for a new home. It may be that on the program to place the add it only allows you to slect one 'breed' on each add and all the adds say the same thing about price, which might also be the only choice.

When it it totally out of context it is impossible to make a judgement about the AKC labs the US and their breed standard.

Looks like a glitch in the labelling has happened ... I've seen dogs on Australian sites wrongly ID'd as well ...they all seem to have been done on the same day.. and two of them appear to be the same business /pet shop .... My vote is for typo or web master error ....

I stumbled across a site that advertised a dog for sale. Claimed it as being a Shiba Inu.

"Tinker is a quality Shiba Inu, with a fox like appearance and combination of boldness ,calmness , alertness , good nature and gentleness.

Shiba Inus are faithful little dogs that love being part of the family. Picked up as a stray and not claimed- now available for adoption."

post-5887-1299391705_thumb.jpg

Ummmm ..... Really? Sure. Right.

Edited by Erny

Don't look anything like labs to me, except maybe for the 3rd one. To be fair though, I get the impression that the general public doesn't know a whole lot about dog breeds. I couldn't find anywhere to rent when I admitted my dog was a doberman. He has now been on 2 leases as a labrador cross and we have no problems :rofl:

No 3 looks reasonably lab like to me.

What is the site? I could advertise my labrador on a place like gumtree etc as a GSD or whatever i like, no one is going to stop me.

You'd have to be very ignorant to not realise those dogs (apart from no 3) are not purebred labradors.

Don't look anything like labs to me, except maybe for the 3rd one. To be fair though, I get the impression that the general public doesn't know a whole lot about dog breeds. I couldn't find anywhere to rent when I admitted my dog was a doberman. He has now been on 2 leases as a labrador cross and we have no problems :rofl:

haha I remember years ago with my first Anatolian, I wrote that he was a Labrador x.

It worked I guess :)

I don't see any connection with a deterioration of the breed standard. False advertising maybe.

The US do have horrendous looking "field labs" who work beautifully in the field but are quite removed from the breed standard. But that's a completely different discussion than advertisements that BYBs have posted where there's no policing of what they are advertising.

Don't look anything like labs to me, except maybe for the 3rd one. To be fair though, I get the impression that the general public doesn't know a whole lot about dog breeds. I couldn't find anywhere to rent when I admitted my dog was a doberman. He has now been on 2 leases as a labrador cross and we have no problems :)

haha I remember years ago with my first Anatolian, I wrote that he was a Labrador x.

It worked I guess :)

Sort of like when I had to rent a place many years ago & asked the agents if a dog would be OK & said "she's just a Poodle" to which the agent replied, "oh yes, they're only small dogs" (I didn't feel the need to tell her that it was a Standard Poodle :rofl: )

The US do have horrendous looking "field labs" who work beautifully in the field but are quite removed from the breed standard.

My two US field labradors look horrendous? What is your experience observing or handling US field labradors, in any countries field bred lab?

I love the working line Labs. I love the sleek, athletic look.

With regard to these pups, I'm going to agree with a PP and suggest that the website they are listed on has a list of breeds that you have to choose from when listing dogs. They are clearly not labs and even a moron could see that.