Deterioration Of Breed Standards

sandgrubber

I don't think this is correct . . . doesn't look at all like petfinder.com adds. They don't put them out in groups of four. The fact that each dog has a name does look like rescue work.

The ads actually come via Petfinder.com which is the US equivalent of Pet Rescue, so the dogs in the ad are rescue dogs and clearly crosses from a variety of rescue groups. Labrador is probably just the way the rescue group has listed the dog.

Thank you.

Province is everything.....! Without it, it is impossible to comment.

Talk about jumping to conclusion eh!

Any time someone puts up something, they need to put the link.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The third dog is carrying too much condition but IMO is still a nice looking Lab!

What does too much condition mean?

Should be leaner.

Ah I thought so but did not want to be rude.

I would pick the first dog, it looks the most athletic and like it could get out there and find the bird and bring it back, all with a smile on it's face. Very nice dog.

I don't think this is correct . . . doesn't look at all like petfinder.com adds. They don't put them out in groups of four. The fact that each dog has a name does look like rescue work.

I named every rescue dog I have every taken it to be rehome, What would call them #4456 ?

Edited by shortstep

Pet Finder makes their ads for dogs available on a variety of sites ... including ebay classifieds in local areas.

Like here: http://www.ebayclassifieds.com/user?id=518868

If you check the ads you'll see they've all got Pet Finder on the bottom.

????

I didn't mean to imply there's a problem with naming dogs.

I've just noted it is something that most rescues do with the dogs they're trying to find forever homes for. Breeders and puppy mills seem less likely to name their charges when they post adds. (Look at DOL puppy postings . . . you won't find many names).

I named every rescue dog I have every taken it to be rehomes, What would call them #4456 ?

I put the pup pictures up cause it sort of shocked me to see that anyone could present pups so far from what I expect of a Lab as Lab pups to the general public . . . sorry, I've lost the links . . . but it was a Gumtree quality site . . . not the sort of place where elite breeders advertize pedigree pups.

I think that's the point people are trying to make. You are expecting ethics out of advertisers. Its a deterioration of ethics and not a deterioration of breed standard.

Yes the US have lovely labradors also. They tend to separate them into the terms "English Lab" and "American Lab". Mariner is in the pedigree of all my labs - both the ugly and the good looking ones. It only takes one bad mating to bring it down. You either perpetuate good conformation or you bring it down. Crossing an English lab with an American field lab is one mating that will ensure poor conformation of the resultant pups, regardless of who is in the pedigree.

Plenty of hunters with guns in the UK as well, but they are working with decent looking dogs.

Thats only in your opinion :wave:

Give me this:

drake_1yr_stand.jpg

or this

pete_sitanding2.jpg

any day! (Both US field titled labs, from a field kennel, one is actually a conformation Ch. too!)

Over this (Crufts 2010 Lab BOB winner)

4439878519_0c24e3409c.jpg

Both of those "field bred labs" are not typical of what is out there working. They often lack spring of rib and depth of brisket, correct leg length and have round eyes, harsh expressions and narrow heads with long ears, more appropriate to a GSP.

It would be "only in my opinion" if I was the only one with that opinion. :wave:

Two pictures of typical American field labs.

This isn't just about being lean. It completely lacks substance, there is no depth to the chest, the legs are gangly (christ check out the length of that stifle!), it's arse high, it has no rear angulation is roach backed, low tailset and the head and expression? It doesn't even come close to fitting the standard. But if that's what you think a labrador should like then you go ahead and breed em. :rofl:

If you want to discuss deterioration of the breed standard in America then this is where the discussion lies - not in general adverts posted by people who are trying to pass of crossbreeds as pure.

post-3856-1299580148_thumb.jpg

post-3856-1299580159_thumb.jpg

Edited by blacklabrador

I stand corrected . . . I had no idea that eBay ads had such an interface with rescue orgs. This is getting off topic . . . but maybe it's worth encouraging this in Australia.

Pet Finder makes their ads for dogs available on a variety of sites ... including ebay classifieds in local areas.

Like here: http://www.ebayclassifieds.com/user?id=518868

If you check the ads you'll see they've all got Pet Finder on the bottom.

One man's 'substance' is another man's 'bulk'. I share the preferance for 'substance' and a 'good head' and the US field Labs do look ugly to me. But form follows function . . . may be that the conformation we are breeding for isn't ideal for a working gun do

As noted previously, there's 'Standard' as established in the Breed Standard, and an operational standard, as what is recognized by the general public. Semantic arguements are generally boring, and I'm happy to concede that I'm talking about 'standard', not 'Standard'.

It would be "only in my opinion" if I was the only one with that opinion. :thumbsup:

Two pictures of typical American field labs.

This isn't just about being lean. It completely lacks substance, there is no depth to the chest, the legs are gangly (christ check out the length of that stifle!), it's arse high, it has no rear angulation is roach backed, low tailset and the head and expression? It doesn't even come close to fitting the standard. But if that's what you think a labrador should like then you go ahead and breed em. :D

If you want to discuss deterioration of the breed standard in America then this is where the discussion lies - not in general adverts posted by people who are trying to pass of crossbreeds as pure.