Barking In Puppies

Sooky

What is the proper way to train a puppy thats its wrong to bark?? I mean if it was to start barking at people or other dogs whats the proper way to correct this? I don't mind if he barks to alert us of something.

Is barking when playing a bad thing?

Also wondered if our neighbours dogs barking would set off our puppy or encourage him to bark and should this be corrected?

We don't have our puppy yet but I'm starting to stress about getting the early training wrong! I don't know if I'm thinking way too much about things!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it yet!! We were concerned our boy would bark, but you know what.. he rarely does. He'll bark if he's scared (like when he met a cow on Saturday :laugh:) or when playing outside... He knows he's not allowed to bark when people walk past the house, or if other dogs do.. but occasionally he'll give it a shot. He was a very vocal growly puppy when playing, so we taught him 'quiet'. So now if he does decide to bark at someone, we just tell him quiet and he shuts up. Our neighbours have dogs that bark all the time, and ours don't even react at all.

Dogs are vocal .. they bark.whine/growl/howl.

unfortunately in the close confines of suburbia .. these natural behaviours are frowned upon:(

I love watching pups play and bark .. but I don't live in town.

Barking at people/other dogs ...hmmm

there may be all sorts of reasons WHY - and if you want the behaviour to change/stop, then first you must know WHY pup is doing it.

If you correct a pup who is fearful, for example..or if you comfort a pup who is fearful , things may get worse :(

Same as if you pat a dog who is being aggressive ....

To have some idea WHY, you need to have an understanding of how dogs relate to their world, how they communicate, and what their body language says :laugh:

Dogs do NOT see things/people/dogs like we do ...dogs can pick up on scents, on tiny tiny body language cues we miss, on sounds we cannot hear ...and on shapes/postures which may be odd.

to start your research

have a read of these links :mad

LINK

LINK

LINK

It takes time, but do lots of reading, posting ,like you are ,and you will learn quite quickly what your pup is telling you!

Edited by persephone

Thanks guys.

Bundy's mum - think teaching the quiet command is a good idea any tips on what worked for you to do this?

Persephone - Thanks for the links will get a good read of them later.

My pups have been told a firm "quiet" for barking from the beginning. I've never had issues with barking except with a pomeranian. All the bigger dogs only bark if there is something to bark at ie someone at the door, someone walking a dog past the property. They also quieten the first time they are told unless there is a possum in the yard or a bush turkey in the neighbours yard. Start how you mean to go on. Don't allow incessant barking as a pup if you don't want them doing it when they are older. Play barking when interacting with others is hard to stop and they grow out of it, but barking at stuff, or barking for attention are things you probably want to stop.

I've stopped correcting my dogs barking, just cause it's not like them to bark randomly and for no reason. They do have a quiet commands (it's either 'Shut up' or 'Enough'). When Emmy barks, it's usually for a reason. I will have to go and see what she's barking about and a simple 'Thanks' makes her happy again. When Charlie is barking, he has to show us why he is barking... it could be because there is a lizard at the front door and he wants to go out and chase it.

Charlie's barking is now a way of communicating with me. I rely on his barks to let me know what he wants... either he needs to go up and down stairs. He wants a toy that Emmy put on the couch and he wants it (she's a brat... she takes his stuff and put it on high places knowing he can't jump up to get it).

I've never stopped them barking while they are playing... I find it very cute when they do :D

Edited by CW EW

I teach mine "Shoosh".

If I have a barky dog, I teach them to bark on command first and then I start throwing Shoosh in.

But they weren't Dory. :D

Dory: Bark bark bark bark bark (Always AT something...someone going past, someone at the door she stops when she knows who it is)

Me: DORY! SHOOSH.

Dory Bark bark bark bark bark

Me: DORY! SHUT UP.

Dory: Bark bark bark bark bark

Me: DORY!...Ah...Whatever.

Barking is the sound of a language. ;) Like Persephone says, to stop barking you really need to know why they are barking in the first place. A "quiet" command is only useful if they didn't have anything pressing to say. Some dogs think everything they have to say is very pressing. :D

I have a very "talkie" dog and have taught her "quiet" but she always has to have to last word. :D she has a huge range of noises from loud barks to very quiet soft howls. I don't know if it is possible to stop the "chat"

Depends on the reason for barking. Barking during play is fine, barking out of fear can't be 'corrected' you need to fix the fear issue and the barking will be fixed as well. Barking because he's being naughty or excited doesn't need correction, you simply teach an incompatible behaviour, like 'look at me' and reinforce heavily and practice it a lot. He can't bark at another dog if he's staring at you.