Referances Are Required

Fleuri

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if you've never owned a dog then you're plain out of luck, no matter how good your intentions are :D

I'd guess that'd be in the information you'd give the breeder.

As I said, I also supplied a general character reference. And, if I'd not owned a dog before, that would give an idea of the type of person they were dealing with.

If it weren't sufficient, for that breeder, I'd move on until I found one for whom it was.

The breeder is not taking enquiries until the pups are born (a date has been given),so I have time, I may try my luck or may find someone else. I really like this breeder's dogs, what I see in the photos anyway.

once more, thank you. :laugh:

OK not a puppy situation but when I offered my desexed adult girl to a good home I got alot of replies. Many of them had a Bullmastiff before. I put on the ad that I may ask for references. I have no problem in putting this on and I also have no problem should I purchase a puppy if I am asked for references. I have plenty to give. I will also ask for references when I sell puppies if I want to.

My girls new owners were quite happy to supply a reference from their vet. The vet emailed me privately. No breaches of confidence were broken and my girl went to a fantastic home.

References dont have to be intrusive. They are just a way of trying to find out more information if required.

The breeder is not taking enquiries until the pups are born (a date has been given),so I have time, I may try my luck or may find someone else. I really like this breeder's dogs, what I see in the photos anyway.

once more, thank you. :laugh:

As someone who has been a Registered Breeder for 17 years , it sound like a load of absolute W*NK to me. FFS - if you are so lazy you can't be bothered weeding out the irresponsible would-be owners from a personal meeting you shouldn't be breeding!

As someone who has been a Registered Breeder for 17 years , it sound like a load of absolute W*NK to me. FFS - if you are so lazy you can't be bothered weeding out the irresponsible would-be owners from a personal meeting you shouldn't be breeding!

ha ha very well said poodlemum :laugh:

It wouldn't occur to me NOT to give references when I'm applying to get a puppy from a registered breeder who doesn't know me.

I wouldn't need to be asked. If I make enquiries about a dog/puppy/cat from either a registered breeder or rescue, I tell them I'm happy to supply a reference (or contacts for referees).

So that breeder, who asked, gets my approval. It was sensible to inform people, in the ad. So that those, like me, who are happy with the idea, will continue. And those who are not, can move on.

References (& referee contacts) I've given are :vets who've known us well, neighbours who've lived next door for years (& lived thro' our pets :laugh: ), & a general character reference from professional colleagues who've also known us well.

I totally agree with all of your posts in this topic, Mita.

Edited by corrie

If they want referances, as opposed to references, I'd guess they wrote the add in a hurry and I'd be inclined to go with the spirit of the thing rather than getting hung up on details. I'd read it as "we don't sell to just anyone . . . please tell us something about yourself". Asking them what they mean is a good idea; and don't be surprised if they want 'proof' rather than just you saying you are a great dog owner and will take fantastic care of the puppy.

If they want referances, as opposed to references, I'd guess they wrote the add in a hurry and I'd be inclined to go with the spirit of the thing rather than getting hung up on details. I'd read it as "we don't sell to just anyone . . . please tell us something about yourself". Asking them what they mean is a good idea; and don't be surprised if they want 'proof' rather than just you saying you are a great dog owner and will take fantastic care of the puppy.

Hi...I copied and pasted that from the webpage, thats how it was spelled...maybe I should call and tell them of the spelling error. :laugh:

...maybe I should call and tell them of the spelling error. :laugh:

That would be a great way to introduce yourself a make a good impression on this breeder. LOL :o

Does this breeder do health testing?

You said you really liked their dogs, so I take they are well groomed and look well taken care of.

Do they talk about their breeding goals or why they breed, anywhere on the web site?

Do they show the parents and talk about them at all?

Do they mention the types of homes they think would be suitable for the pups?

Do they show or speak about pups from previous litters that have gone on to other homes?

Do they mention what the personalities of the parent dogs are like?

Is there anything, anything at all about the web site, that makes you think they are not caring breeders?

...maybe I should call and tell them of the spelling error. :wave:

That would be a great way to introduce yourself a make a good impression on this breeder. LOL :rofl:

You said you really liked their dogs, so I take they are well groomed and look well taken care of.

Do they talk about their breeding goals or why they breed, anywhere on the web site?

Do they show or speak about pups from previous litters that have gone on to other homes?

Is there anything, anything at all about the web site, that makes you think they are not caring breeders?

Yes to almost everything above except it mentions nothing about health testing and nothing about pups that have gone to other homes. All comentary regarding their own dog's personality/nature all sound so loving and caring with a little humor at times. I get the impression that this breeder mainly breeds for themselves first and not often. They have four dogs from other breeders (they are champions and some being shown at the moment.)and the other three are champions with their prefix.

That would be a great way to introduce yourself a make a good impression on this breeder. LOL :rofl:

Yes to almost everything above except it mentions nothing about health testing and nothing about pups that have gone to other homes. All comentary regarding their own dog's personality/nature all sound so loving and caring with a little humor at times. I get the impression that this breeder mainly breeds for themselves first and not often. They have four dogs from other breeders (they are champions and some being shown at the moment.)and the other three are champions with their prefix.

Well they sound alright even good from what you can get from the web site. You may already be so, but if not you need to know exactly what health tests are needed and how to read the results.

If it were me, I would sent them a nice email and say how you have been looking at their dogs on the web site and have fallen in love with them or what ever is what you would say. I would also mention /repeat back, some of the things they say about their dogs that you think are good traits, or things they are doing which you think indicate they are good breeders. A little truthful honey never hurts.

Then I would state you would like to express interest in the up coming litter. Tell them a bit about your self. Then see what happens.

Once you start talking with them then ask about the health tests. if you think they want to know too much about your personal life then just fade out and forget it. I would not write them off for wanting to check out their puppy owners and I would hope that they do all the right health testing and have just not mentioned it on the web site.

BTW do they have pedigrees on the web site? If they do then you might want to research those too.

Edited by shortstep

Well they sound alright even good from what you can get from the web site. You may already be so, but if not you need to know exactly what health tests are needed and how to read the results.

If it were me, I would sent them a nice email and say how you have been looking at their dogs on the web site and have fallen in love with them or what ever is what you would say. I would also mention /repeat back, some of the things they say about their dogs that you think are good traits, or things they are doing which you think indicate they are good breeders. A little truthful honey never hurts.

Then I would state you would like to express interest in the up coming litter. Tell them a bit about your self. Then see what happens.

Once you start talking with them then ask about the health tests. if you think they want to know too much about your personal life then just fade out and forget it. I would not write them off for wanting to check out their puppy owners and I would hope that they do all the right health testing and have just not mentioned it on the web site.

BTW do they have pedigrees on the web site? If they do then you might want to research those too.

Yes they do have pedigrees on the web site and they are of some very good breeders. Only the webpage says they are not taking enquiries until the pups are born (date is given) so this is why I was thinking I should just wait.

Thank you Shortstep :D

When I became a MDBA member I went through an approval process and because of that the MDBA will write me a reference stating that I am one of their Responsible Pet Owners.

I can use this reference if I want a puppy from a breeder who requires a reference or if I need to rent a property and need references for the dog.

Of course, should I want to buy a puppy from a MDBA breeder then they would know my credentials :thumbsup:

When I became a MDBA member I went through an approval process and because of that the MDBA will write me a reference stating that I am one of their Responsible Pet Owners.

I can use this reference if I want a puppy from a breeder who requires a reference or if I need to rent a property and need references for the dog.

Of course, should I want to buy a puppy from a MDBA breeder then they would know my credentials :thumbsup:

so if a breeder wanted more from you, you would or wouldn't provide it? For instance, your being a MDBA member means very little to me, I'd want to know about you not just what clubs you are a member of.

Of course, should I want to buy a puppy from a MDBA breeder then they would know my credentials :cry:

so if a breeder wanted more from you, you would or wouldn't provide it? For instance, your being a MDBA member means very little to me, I'd want to know about you not just what clubs you are a member of.

A very common reference is a Club membership. Not just for getting puppy but for almost anything you might give a reference for, like getting into Uni, even some banks for home loans take Club memberships as a reference and so forth. No where did she say it was the only thing needed. Lighten up please.

Of course, should I want to buy a puppy from a MDBA breeder then they would know my credentials :cry:

A very common reference is a Club membership. Not just for getting puppy but for almost anything you might give a reference for, like getting into Uni, even some banks for home loans take Club memberships as a reference and so forth. No where did she say it was the only thing needed. Lighten up please.

I wasn't asking you, so don't tell me to lighten up. I asked a valid question. Membership of a club tells me nothing about how a person might treat/care for an animal. Lots of clubs you only have to tick the boxes and pay a fee.

I wasn't asking you, so don't tell me to lighten up. I asked a valid question. Membership of a club tells me nothing about how a person might treat/care for an animal. Lots of clubs you only have to tick the boxes and pay a fee.

Well she wasn't asking you if you approved of her statement either, but you let your feelings known.

Maybe lighten up was not the right word to indicate what I was trying to say, I am sorry.

I can think of club membership (as in your first statment) which might tell me more about them and (as in your second statement) how they might treat animals.

If they belong to the AVA then I would assume they would make sure their pet had good care.

If they belonged to the Pick a city or breed Animal Rescue group and were an active member then I would assume they would not dump their pup at the shelter and so on.

Sometimes club membership can be a very good indicator of what people hold dear and important to them and what their values are.

Just wanted to add, Club membership in a dog club such as ANKC or MDBA would indicate to me that they are invloved in dogs as a part of their their life.

Edited by shortstep

I would be happy to provide more it's just that this would help add to the references

The MDBA asks all members to agree to a Code of Conduct so you would know a lot more about me than someone who did not agree to a Code of Conduct.

You can view the Responsible Pet Owner Code of Conduct here http://www.mdba.net.au/component/content/article/51.html

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy