Collie Male Or Female

I have two male old dogs they get along fine mind you they are both desexed pretty sure it could be different if they aren't :rolleyes:

They had a few tiffs when they first met but no blood and we would just tell them to stop and they would.

Just depends on the dogs themselves i think :laugh:

good luck :)

I'd probably go for a male :rolleyes: Generally speaking, one of each sex or even two boys get along better than two girls do. But having said that, there are plenty of two female dog households that get along just fine.

My bitch can be bitchy.

i guess thats why they are called a bitch :rolleyes:

Nah, it's why we women are called "Bitches".

Does anyone find the male/female mix breed dependent?? I'm wondering what a Collie person has to say?

thanks, my girl is quite placid and submissive around other dogs. The only thing that puts me off a male is all the marking they can do. For anyone with desexed males do they mark as much as the non desexed doggies? Im really excited about getting our new addition. It took me about 5 mths to decide between rough or smooth!

Well my nan got her jack russell desexed at 6mnths old and he doesnt mark much at all but max my dog i rescued at four years old he got desexed after he already matured so he still marks. So i think it depends when you get them desexed if that makes sense.

Edited by Dogperson

thanks, my girl is quite placid and submissive around other dogs. The only thing that puts me off a male is all the marking they can do. For anyone with desexed males do they mark as much as the non desexed doggies? Im really excited about getting our new addition. It took me about 5 mths to decide between rough or smooth!

i would talk to the breeder you will be deciding on, and ask her how her dogs get along male/ female and female with female, you may just end up with another female :thumbsup: i have seen males of the same breed (springers) get along beautifully vice versa with females depends on the breed and the temp of the pup. I am sure two collies would get on no matter the sex as they are stunning haha little biased!

Edited by catherine.b

Guest english.ivy

The dog I added to my pack was desexed at eight months old and still squats at 12 months old. Hasn't marked yet. Really depends on the canine.

He is also around a dog who cocks and one who squats, I'm thinking he will always squat but I could be wrong.

It really is personal choice in the end and you take the chances with whatever choice you make :thumbsup:

I have 3 female (desexed) border collies. They all get along fine. But I know other people also with border collies that have 2 girls that would like to kill each other. I have girls because I prefer to train and compete with them. If it is a pet dog only I like male BC's just fine :thumbsup:

I normally have at least one male entire in my household along with the girls and have never had a problem with marking inside the house. I am just extra vigilant if one of the girls is in season otherwise no problems. If you get your boy as a pup and housetrain, I don't believe you will have a problem with this. I actually find it easier to housetrain the boys more than the girls.

When you get your new puppy, don't forget photos :thumbsup:

The breeder im talking to just has a female thats pregnant so have a wait yet lol i think ill just stick to a girl and hope the breeder can match us up with a pup she thinks will be good in our household. I dont think ill have a problem with WIllow as she gets along with other dogs of the same sex and has never been aggressive or shown jealousy.

Collielover given what Willow is like I don't think it will matter. What will matter is that the two have compatible temperaments. I'm sure the breeder will help you pick the right puppy. We've had multiple girls together for years with no problems, but that doesn't mean there will never be any but over all Collies are fairly easy to manage in that regard.

Think about temperament first then sex that would be my suggestion.

thanks, my girl is quite placid and submissive around other dogs. The only thing that puts me off a male is all the marking they can do. For anyone with desexed males do they mark as much as the [/b]non desexed doggies? Im really excited about getting our new addition. It took me about 5 mths to decide between rough or smooth!

Just as an interest to your question (bolded)

Recently we rescued an 8 year old Entire Cavalier male from a Puppy Farm. He had spent many years outside peeing when he wanted to. In the month he was with us we began to housetrain him and he was doing wonderfully. When he was strong enough physically he was desexed. Two months later the new owners (my mum and dad :p ) tell me he now squats! :) Which is funny really at his age especially with the fact that he was a "marking machine" :thumbsup:

Also I once owned an entire female Maltese X who had been a stray and she marked all around the garden, lifting her leg, but never in the house.