Puppy Won't Suck

gapvic

Pup born approx 1.5 hours ago. Thought he was dead, but we rubbed etc for about half an hour and he started to move. Is now moving around but crying a lot and won't feed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you checked his mouth >> cleft palate ?

If all looks to be OK squeeze a nipple until there is some colostrum appearing then make him open his mouth and hold him onto the nipple while stroking him under the jaw. If that has no effect give him a little glucose via an eye dropper, that may just give him a little more energy to hold onto a nipple.

In my very first whelping I had a puppy like that and I spent the whole night holding him on the nipple the very next day I could not even tell which puppy it was.

GOOD LUCK

thanks! He's still with us but I don't think for much longer. I can put him onto a teat and he'll close his mouth over it, but he does not curl his tongue or suck like the others :-(. I think he's like a dummy foal, missed too much oxygen and now has lost the suck reflex :-(

do you think it's worth tubing him? if you've not done it before I would advise asking a vet to show you. In the meantime, get some nutrigel or glucose into him and keep trying him with the suckling. It might just be that he was from a later mating and he's not as developed (if you've already checked for cleft palate). How is mum treating him? Is she attentive to him or does she ignore him or does she separate him out and leave him alone?

Surgical AI so not from a later mating. I've never tubed, and vet is 40mins away. Checked for cleft palate. Bitch currently treating them all the same but she has been in labour since 1am so she's not 100% with it.

We've had nine so far - last one appeared dead and we couldn't get her going, so count is 8 including the one that won't suck. Hope there are no more to come.

I work on the ratio of 1.5 teaspoons glucose per 100ml water. Make sure it is boiled and then cooled - blood temp is best and then use a teat bottle or eyedropper or syringe and just get some into him. Keep pinching the skin for dehydration. Alternatively, try an electrolyte solution like Vy-trate or Recharge. Have you spoken to your vet? Obviously keeping pup warm is essential. Not to put more stress on you but the mum will need some boosting as well, especially if she's been going all morning, though she might not want to eat properly until she's done whelping but it may be an idea to put a bowl in front of her and see if she will take anything - even if it's just porridge with eggs and extra calcium. Have you got anybody nearby who can come and help?

What a champ, he's hanging in there!! Thanks so much for the glucose hint. I've given him a few drops, and he actually managed to have a little suck!

In the mean time we've had another pup, so that's ten for nine living. Hope to god there are no more! Last one was pretty slow to get going and isn't sucking very well either, so fingers crossed she hangs in there too. She's the only blue brindle.

SoL, I made mine stronger than that - is it possible to OD on glucose?

No I wouldn't worry too much, just get it into him! Great to hear he's fighting and fingers crossed for the girl. How's the mum coping which such a big whelp?

Make sure mum gets some good red meat into her and some calcium - she has done a BIG thing. :laugh:

I don't enjoy watching littlies literally fighting just to start living :confused:

Unless I can get them somewhere where they can get properly checked/sub cutaneous fluid, etc .. I hate seeing them suffering ,and give them their wings .

Best of luck with your little one - hopefully the glucose will give him a burst.

A drop of Rescue remedy on the tongue helps too (brandy) :(

Blue brindle girl doing OK but things not looking good for the little boy. He just had what appeared to be a seizure - threw his head back, limbs stretched out, and went completely rock hard all over. Thought he was dead, but he is still hanging in there. Should I pts?