Puppies Born Without Front Legs

My Dog Rosie

They will be adopted for the wrong reasons. They will be adopted for the cute factor, which will fade, and the "novelty" factor, which will wear off quickly when reality sets in. They will also be adopted by the sympathy martyrs (I'm the only one who can save her).

No intelligent, caring and informed owner in their right mind wakes up one morning and thinks, "I'll go out and adopt a deformed, disabled dog today."

From experience in both personally adopting a dog with serious issues and re-homing dogs with serious issues, I can assure you that your opinion that the 'novelty' will wear off or that a person who adopts such an animal is somehow mentally unbalanced and stupid or adopting for the 'wrong' reasons is incorrect.

I don't believe I am any less intelligent, or unbalanced than the majority of the population and there never was any 'novelty' in adopting my dog, but a great deal of consideration instead on his future care needs.

Edited by ~Anne~

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're terribly cute. :confused:

Sadly, they should have been euth'd when born. However, they are alive, they are being assisted and trained to live with the deformity, and I am sure they will live long happy lives.

The mindset of "euth at any opportunity" can be just as wrong as the "save everything" train of thought. There should be a balance.

Agree that balance is needed. Having taken in a not-so-fortunate pup, I would never ask for my money back given my time with him again.

How about dog breeds that are bred deformed? Pugs, Daschunds, French Bulldogs, Bulldogs, Pekingese, Cavaliers (with their small skulls), Basset Hounds, Ridgebacks, amongst others... there is another serious issue yet we pay $$$$ for these pups up front! Yet they can also live long happy lives with the right care.

Just a thought...

They may also be adopted by genuinely caring people, who are aware of their needs and are quite happy to care for them for the rest of their lives and give them every shot at happiness.

There are some people that like to help the 'underdog', for no other reason than they can, and they want to and it is rewarding personally for them. Were they kept alive for the right reasons? Hmmm, not sure. Was it the right thing to do? Again, I'm not so sure. But for whatever reasons, they were kept alive. I care for a dog that most people told me should have been PTS many years ago. But she's happy and loves life and isn't suffering... and I wouldn't change her for any healthy dog on Earth. We regularly see a small dog that uses a cart for it's back legs after a spinal injury. Should it have been PTS... well I'm sure some say yes. But to the special person who loves this boy, and to see how happy and loved he is and how he copes - there was never any question.

These pups don't know the 'norm' that they are missing out on. They are adapting (albeit with help) to what they have and learning to live their lives. I'm sure there will be hurdles, and I hope potential adopters are selected carefully with long term requirements in mind... Humans made the decision to let these pups live, they should be responsible for making sure they are cared for their entire lives.

What about that other dog who was born with no legs... learnt to walk on 2 like a human, travels the world giving inspiration to others. It's awkward and I'm sure he's come up against hurdles too, but he is happy and loved and living a long life.

Should healthy dogs miss out on a home and die in their place? No, definitely not. But it's not because of these pups that they will die is it? It's because of humans, and until that changes it will continue to be so.

I am sure everyone is aware of Faith. The 2 legged dog

She is now 5 yrs old and still walks on her back legs.

She is happy and very loved

Should pups born that way be PTS? For me, I dont really know

I dont have litters but they are here and someone has decided to give them a chance.

I am sure the people that get to adopt them will be totally screened and checked out.

Just like any ethical dog person would do for any dogs they rehome

How does anyone know these dogs are suffering?

Edited by Bartok

Faith actually had 3 legs, they removed the remaining deformed front one at about 7 months old because it was atrophying. Then they plastered her from here to Tumbuctu ... you dont think it set off a trend? Suddenly pups that would have never made it past the point of opening their eyes are all over the place.

Dogs were never made to walk on 2 legs, you think Faith wont be causing herself injury doing that all the time? I can tell you most normal 4 legged dogs can have sore backs/necks etc from a problem that unevenly distributes the weight.

You wait, someone will start purposely breeding them, just like the nuffy woman who breeds twisty cats and thinks they're perfectly OK. What is it with the human race, we have this tick that makes us pump so much effort into one way streets due to novelty or whatever ideal drives it.

I dont have litters but they are here and someone has decided to give them a chance.

If there is a severe physical deformity that caused pups to not be able to drink or behave normally, yep I would have no hesitation.

Nature's just raised a massive neon sign above pups like that. Some people just chose to ignore it.

Edited by Nekhbet

Life is not always life in my opinion.

It does come down to balance and if any being has no quality of life then it is just existence. In some cases a miserable existence at that.

During my time in rescue I assisted a number of dogs, who for whatever reason, required additional support and care, but the deciding factor was always what kind of life will they have ongoing in their new homes with totally committed owners. I have made the sometimes difficult choice to set them free if the answer happened to be either none or very limited.

Also, I have watched a terminally ill much-loved relative deteriorate to the point that she was crying and begging for someone to help her end her life. It was soul destroying to witness. If I could have legally given her that final gift you can bet I would have. I find it extremely offensive that someone or something else, be it from a legal or a religious standpoint, can determine when our human suffering is enough. I truly hope that if I am ever in that position I have the strength and presence of mind to facilitate my own end with some semblance of dignity. My independence is very important to me.

S

Edited by Sheilaheel02

Faith actually had 3 legs, they removed the remaining deformed front one at about 7 months old because it was atrophying. Then they plastered her from here to Tumbuctu ... you dont think it set off a trend? Suddenly pups that would have never made it past the point of opening their eyes are all over the place.

Dogs were never made to walk on 2 legs, you think Faith wont be causing herself injury doing that all the time? I can tell you most normal 4 legged dogs can have sore backs/necks etc from a problem that unevenly distributes the weight.

You wait, someone will start purposely breeding them, just like the nuffy woman who breeds twisty cats and thinks they're perfectly OK. What is it with the human race, we have this tick that makes us pump so much effort into one way streets due to novelty or whatever ideal drives it.

If there is a severe physical deformity that caused pups to not be able to drink or behave normally, yep I would have no hesitation.

Nature's just raised a massive neon sign above pups like that. Some people just chose to ignore it.

I understand what your saying, but I guess I can't always see just the negatives or maybe I choose not to see them

Does Faith look and act like a happy dog? I guess the same with the other thread from yesterday. Did Popeye look

like a happy and very loved dog? (you may not have read it)

I do agree that sometimes we try to save them just for our sakes, but I would like to think that most people could

see if an animal was in pain then to do right by it, but if it is believed that the animals arent in pain and someone is

willing to care for them than why shouldnt they be able to?

I think it is interesting topic and I like to see different thoughts and views, but I am not sure if it is all black and white

I think with most things in life there is grey areas

Also, I have watched a terminally ill much-loved relative deteriorate to the point that she was crying and begging for someone to help her end her life. It was soul destroying to witness. If I could have legally given her that final gift you can bet I would have. I find it extremely offensive that someone or something else, be it from a legal or a religious standpoint, can determine when our human suffering is enough. I truly hope that if I am ever in that position I have the strength and presence of mind to facilitate my own end with some semblance of dignity. My independence is very important to me.

yes.

We can do it with love for our pets ..but are not allowed to act on a human's request. We can be very cruel in forcing someone to prolong the agony. :confused:

I agree, and if nature had her way - these pups would have perished without doubt. But they aren't out in the wild, they were deliberately kept alive by humans and now their responsibility.

Regarding Faith... yes she will more than likely have issues further on down the track, because it's not natural for a dog to walk on 2 legs. But is the core issue any different to keeping a dog with an injury that cause cause similar problems alive? Yes it's different cause it's an injury, but it still modifies their way of life - and without human intervention - would probably not survive. Her lifespan will probably be shorter granted, but is it anymore cruel to keep her alive when she appears to be happy and otherwise healthy, and at the moment does not appear to be suffering in anyway?

Maybe they should have been PTS at birth, maybe Faith should have been too. But she has inspired so many people and received so much love and adoration from the people she meets - I'd certainly never want to take away her chance at receiving it.

I do think it should depend on quality of life and if it is achievable, and if someone can be prepared to take on that lifetime commitment. If not, then yes they should be PTS.

I don't want to believe that people would start deliberately breeding them though... :confused: Now that would be the most ultimate form of cruelty imagineable.

But I would never disrespect anyone who would choose to PTS at birth, I don't think it's a wrong decision.

I was surprised to see how common this seemed to be in Chihauhaus on Youtube, is this a problem with the breed? I use to breed Chi's years ago without any issues but was wondering if these deformed dogs all had a common ansestor. Personally, I think it would be kinder to PTS a pup born this way while yes they do learn to cope the homes suitable for these guys would be limited and one would have to wonder why someone would want a dog with these complications. There are enough healthy dogs out there needing homes without these special needs guys taking up shelter resourses.

Having said that, would you put down this dog? He more than copes on two legs (one front, one back).

The difference is that he is already in a loving home and apparently had no problems at all adjusting, needs not additional apparatise to get around like a normal dog and no wear and tear on parts that shouldn't be getting it.

There is a big difference between raising a disabled pup yourself and SELLING one under the guise of rescue IMO.

I wonder if the rescue has used these pups to help raise funds? Have all the funds gone directly to the care of the pups? That would also make a difference to my opinion.

Re: the dogs looking happy, I have a pic of a very happy looking dog (animated, tail wagging). I'm having problems uploading pics at the moment, but will try to later on. The dog looks very happy but is actually a breeding bitch on a puppy farm. She has ear and eye infections, she is confined to a small cage, she has never gone for a walk in her entire life and doesn't have a name. She is one of my girl's "sisters". The point is that a dog can look very happy but it doesn't mean that the dog is in a good place. Dogs are stoic. They often suffer and don't show it.

I agree with Nehkbet, it is only a matter of time before disabled dogs are bred for their cute factor. IMO it happens already with the teacups.

As much as I love my dogs and would love to keep them around forever, when they can no longer be dogs (ie run around like ratbags, jump on me when I get home etc) I will show them compassion and send them to heaven.

Sometimes we need to ask ourselves some very hard questions: Just who are we keeping these dogs alive for?

There is a big difference between raising a disabled pup yourself and SELLING one under the guise of rescue IMO.

I wonder if the rescue has used these pups to help raise funds? Have all the funds gone directly to the care of the pups? That would also make a difference to my opinion.

Re: the dogs looking happy, I have a pic of a very happy looking dog (animated, tail wagging). I'm having problems uploading pics at the moment, but will try to later on. The dog looks very happy but is actually a breeding bitch on a puppy farm. She has ear and eye infections, she is confined to a small cage, she has never gone for a walk in her entire life and doesn't have a name. She is one of my girl's "sisters". The point is that a dog can look very happy but it doesn't mean that the dog is in a good place. Dogs are stoic. They often suffer and don't show it.

I agree with Nehkbet, it is only a matter of time before disabled dogs are bred for their cute factor. IMO it happens already with the teacups.

As much as I love my dogs and would love to keep them around forever, when they can no longer be dogs (ie run around like ratbags, jump on me when I get home etc) I will show them compassion and send them to heaven.

Sometimes we need to ask ourselves some very hard questions: Just who are we keeping these dogs alive for?

I am sure there are rescue groups all over that take dogs in to help raise funds

Emmaciated and matted, old and toothless etc

I would just hope they save them for the right reasons

This is super cow

Her name is Tori and she is a PIA most of the time

but I love her and she adores me

I got her at 10wks old from the pound

I was told she would only live a few weeks due

to her heart deformity. She also has really poor vision

and a few other problems. So we chose to take her home

and let her live in a family romping with other dogs

and when it was time for her to go then we would help her

She was with us a few months and she was just a saggy bag of nothing oneday

So we rush her to the vet and we prepare ourselves for goodbye.

Well, she is now 3yrs old

She fetches a ball like there is no tomorrow

Loves the water and runs like she is in the Olympic 100m

She goes to the oval for a run Daily and sleeps inside along

with my other 3

If you know her deformities she should have died at birth, but she didnt

We know oneday it will be hard for her to breath and get up and when that day

comes we will do right by her, but for the moment. I am glad we took her home.

I am glad we gave her a chance. Regardless of how much she does my head

in at times

post-3302-1300170058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bartok

Yes, but your dog can MOVE Bartok, she is not virtually a caterpillar who couldn't remove herself from drowning in her own water bowl.

BIG difference in total lack of real mobility vs limited lifespan / limited lifestyle.

fifi

Lets face it... Faith's owner has been making a tidy living off parading her around the US... and the rescue that took in these current deformed pups will be bringing in funds due to the publicity that they have sought for them... images of happy and healthy homeless dogs don't bring in the donor dollar. They definitely have the "ka-ching" factor, don't they?

If I were the owner of the bitch that whelped these 3 pups, I would have culled them and desexed the bitch and dog that created them - obviously there was something wrong with one of them to create THREE deformed pups in the one litter.

That said, I have fallen completely in love with my own disabled foster pup, and am adopting her myself. I know that she may have certain issues when she's fully grown or old due to her funny gait, but I also know that I can make the right decisions for her when she may need them - and I have the help and support of some very wonderful vets with regards to any issues that may arise. So far she's doing just fine and is passing every normal milestone without any problems - she just walks differently to "normal" dogs and falls over sometimes.

T.

We live in a very grim world where animal welfare organisations can take to using deformed baby animals as exhibits for PR purposes.

Circuses and sideshows are no longer allowed to have the "fat lady" or to put the deformed dwarfs out there as exhibits. Those hideous practices were outlawed years ago.

But now it is seemingly OK for animal welfare organisations to exploit deformed baby animals for their PR purposes.

The gawking general public can now get their kicks by looking at legless puppies on the internet.

Disgusting. Nothing else. Simply disgusting.

REAL animal welfare organisations know why birds toss deformed young out of the nest, and why mammal mothers will dispose of deformed young, and they should respect the natural and logical reasoning behind these happenings.

REAL Animal welfare organisations know that such animals are destined to a short life of pain, yet those that sell themselves as animal welfare organisations today will sell their actions as "helping" these poor little dogs, when in fact they are not helping the animals at all, it is simply helping to generate publicity for the organisation.

Exploiting deformed puppies.

It is so very hard to have respect for the people running these shows.

Souff

Yes, but your dog can MOVE Bartok, she is not virtually a caterpillar who couldn't remove herself from drowning in her own water bowl.

BIG difference in total lack of real mobility vs limited lifespan / limited lifestyle.

fifi

Totally agree. These dogs can never be left alone because of their inability to defend themselves or their inability to move out of harms way.

It is appalling that this has happened under the auspices of "rescue".