Puppies Born Without Front Legs

My Dog Rosie

I hadn't entered into this again because I find all of this appalling, however to insinuate that I have nothing better to do than have a "sly little dig" is pathetic. What sad little people you are. And greytmate you are happy to say "most people" wouldn't euthanise but that is not ALL. I personally know some that would do so, and have done so, in the blink of an eye. And "many" (as per my one, oft-quoted remark) is not ALL either. Talk about me taking it off topic, FFS.

You probably have heaps of better things to do. I know that most people are not all and many people are not most and I know when I read a negative comment about a group of people.

In the middle of justifying why you think its good to keep a severely disabled dog alive, you mention that some other people (many breeders in fact) would euthanise a healthy dog for what seems like a frivolous reason.

Is there some sort of implied logic there that I am missing?

What does killing healthy pups have to do with this topic? What does it have to do with you? Why bring up an apalling practice in the same post that you try to justify your own practice?

Your comment upset people, and it doesn't put breeders in a good light. When you say that 'many' people do something, you imply that it is not uncommon. Now you back down and say 'some'. Which is probably more accurate than 'many', but still a very harsh and irrelevant criticism.

Your sly dig has been called out for what it is. If the offense you caused was truly unintentional, you wouldn't be back here calling other people sad or pathetic.

:)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[Very true Koalathebear

I distinctly remember reading on this forum a thread a few years ago about a Rodesian Ridgeback breeder who culls puppies born without a ridge...clearly not a deformity issue, however she stated there were great difficulties in homeing a non ridge ridgeback (I would imagine most people who want a Rigeback also want the ridge?!) This was her difficult decision as a breeder and one she had to deal with. As breeders we all have to make decisions regarding the future of litters we breed, pre and post birth. I ceratinly wouldn't make a judgement on another breeders choices if I haven't walked in her shoes.

Maybe I am naive or a bleeding heart, but you cull a puppy because it doesnt have a ridge?

If the pups are in good health and will make fantastic pets, why wouldnt you think of asking a rescue

group to take them or do their vet work and still rehome them?

So now everyone's applauding a post that has called something a "sly dig" that, I can guarantee you, was NOT a "sly dig" but a genuine comment which accidentally offended people? What a great attitude to have.

I don't know if you're talking to me but I think there should be a lot of send-offs in this game :)

I was talking to everyone who have made this a personal attack on people who have stated their opinion rather than discussing the subject.

So now everyone's applauding a post that has called something a "sly dig" that, I can guarantee you, was NOT a "sly dig" but a genuine comment which accidentally offended people? What a great attitude to have.

"Everyone" isn't doing anything.

Best we all be accountable for our individual posts and leave the generalising out of this thread. Its what got it into hot water in the first place.

The comment caused offence, people took offence and then the person that made the comment calls us sad and pathetic?. Oh ok. Hopefully there will be no more accidental postings.

Koalathebear, do you ever reply about the topic instead of just posting about the other people that are posting? You think The Ark has integrity, I don't know her or you from a bar of soap.

This topic is not about putting down healthy dogs. It is about severely deformed dogs. If you want to hear my opinion on putting down healthy dogs, and the rational behind my thinking, why not have a search through the fifteen thousand or so posts I have done here? This isn't the thread for it.

Definitions of many:

1. Being one of a large indefinite number; numerous: many a child; many another day.

2. Amounting to or consisting of a large indefinite number: many friends.

n. (used with a pl. verb)

1. A large indefinite number: A good many of the workers had the flu.

2. The majority of the people; the masses: "The many fail, the one succeeds" (Tennyson).

pron. (used with a pl. verb)

A large number of persons or things:

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Definitions of many:

1. Being one of a large indefinite number; numerous: many a child; many another day.

2. Amounting to or consisting of a large indefinite number: many friends.

n. (used with a pl. verb)

1. A large indefinite number: A good many of the workers had the flu.

2. The majority of the people; the masses: "The many fail, the one succeeds" (Tennyson).

pron. (used with a pl. verb)

A large number of persons or things:

:) What does this post have to do wih the topic at hand?

Koalathebear, do you ever reply about the topic instead of just posting about the other people that are posting? You think The Ark has integrity, I don't know her or you from a bar of soap.

Hi greytmate, thank you for your feedback and letting me know that the purpose of my post was lost. My point relating to the topic was as follows:

As an 'outsider', from what I can see - everyone in this thread clearly loves and cares about dogs a lot and takes the issue of quality of life very seriously and I would hope that that would be enough to overcome forum/internet misunderstandings ...

The original thread with its various viewpoints and opinions on quality of life/compassion was interesting. To me it seemed a great shame that it got bogged down in misunderstanding.

I don't know if you're talking to me but I think there should be a lot of send-offs in this game :laugh:

A few people have now been permanently sent off so lets now stop the fighting.

Quote Bartok

Very true Koalathebear

I distinctly remember reading on this forum a thread a few years ago about a Rodesian Ridgeback breeder who culls puppies born without a ridge...clearly not a deformity issue, however she stated there were great difficulties in homeing a non ridge ridgeback (I would imagine most people who want a Rigeback also want the ridge?!) This was her difficult decision as a breeder and one she had to deal with. As breeders we all have to make decisions regarding the future of litters we breed, pre and post birth. I ceratinly wouldn't make a judgement on another breeders choices if I haven't walked in her shoes.

Maybe I am naive or a bleeding heart, but you cull a puppy because it doesnt have a ridge?

If the pups are in good health and will make fantastic pets, why wouldnt you think of asking a rescue

group to take them or do their vet work and still rehome them?

Well, that is exactly what I thought when I read that particular thread a few years ago...but the breeder stated that there were great difficulties in placing a non ridged ridgeback and that culling off was the kinder option available to her. I can't find the thread but that is the gist of what I recall. I mean I don't know anything about breeding that particular breed of dog but I imagine it occurs in some litters? I guess she can't keep dropping "rescues" off continually can she? Really, I'm in no position to judge, just stating it as an example of situations faced by breeders that I have read about. I do know that some breeders of very large litters cull of the small and weaker ones to give the stronger pups a better chance of continuing to be strong and healthy and to help mother out.

Edited by LizT

One of the biggies about Breeding is taking responsibility for the lives that you bring into the world.

Sometimes that means making decisions that may be hard for others to understand or accept.

I can imagine what would be said if Breeders all dumped their problems in the laps of rescue.

Over the past few days I have shared the link to the article on these pups with a number of people, I haven't had one yet that wouldn't have PTS.

One of the biggies about Breeding is taking responsibility for the lives that you bring into the world.

Sometimes that means making decisions that may be hard for others to understand or accept.

I can imagine what would be said if Breeders all dumped their problems in the laps of rescue.

Over the past few days I have shared the link to the article on these pups with a number of people, I haven't had one yet that wouldn't have PTS.

I understand making decisions on newborn pups that are deformed etc etc but

I dont understand culling pups becuase they dont have a "ridge" or something trivial like that.

I dont think rescue would see pups like that as a burden. They are just pups that need

good loving family homes.

I never pts a healthy puppy even if it has a major fault that means it cannot be bred or shown, I've had large litters and raised them all. However I won't continually work on a puppy that isn't thriving or has an abnormality. Dogs have large litters for a reason, nature never intended every puppy to reach adulthood.