Dog Walking Accidents

Ons

I was at my parents place when my then young dog went to take off after my mum's cat ... only problem was he was on a leash at the time.

According to my mum I actually went flying through the air. I ended up face down on the ground ... dislocated shoulder, cracked bone in my elbow, sprained wrist, dislocated finger ... and a few grazes.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once when I was about 11 I put my roller blades on, stood on the cement, clipped my ball-obsessed dog onto her leash, threw a tennis ball and hung on tight. :rofl:

I was pulled flat over and landed hard on my knees! It hurt so much and I was hobbling for about a week.

The best 'pile-up' I've seen was some years ago at Melb. Royal. Way back you weren't alllowed to leave until much later than now and there would be some sweepstakes held to fill in time and give the public something to watch. So a Junior Sweeps was held for the Irish Setters. Friend entered and first in line of some 15/16 Juniors. The class was sent around the ring. In full flight, friend slips over and there were arms, legs and flying Irish in all directions as the class catapulted into and over her. No injuries, some dented dignity, all the dogs were eventually caught and the judging recommenced although the Judge didn't ask for 'round the ring' again :rofl:

oh my gosh there are some amusing stories here but some :) as well and lots of ouchies espeically that bruise :)

I have a lovely one on y coccxy (sp?) ;) but I won't show that to you :love:

Holy moley, people get badly injured with their dogs! Kivi took off from my foot at the beach last week and left three deep claw marks in the top of my foot. I whined about it for days! :love: Making a mental note that it could always be worse...

Ouch to some of these stories!

I didn't know dog walking could be so dangerous :love:

Yes they say it's supposed to be good for your health...

This didn't happen while walking, it actually happened whilst swimming at the beach. I called him to me, he came, and his paw/claws got the inside of my calf like behind my knee as he was doing doggy paddle - totally unintentional. I had the most disgusting lumpy bruise that took weeks to heal completely, and family and friends kept saying I needed to go to a doctor because they thought there must be something wrong with me to have a bruise that big. It hurt so much at the time though, I had about 30 seconds of just being paralysed by pain.

Had just finished feeding and rugging my horse. My Dobe and Stafford were running around as per normal.

We were walking from the horse paddock to the house. The two dogs were running around mouthing at each others faces running flat out but looking at each other. The did a huge circle and came down the hill behind me. As they ran past the Dobe swung her bum out to the side and collected me just behind my knees. I went down flat on my back and didn't even get a chance to break my fall.

Luckily other than being a little bit stiff I was okay.

Later on she got me when she jumped off the A-Frame and her head collected mine. Result a huge haematoma on my eyebrow (but not as big as that other one!!) and concussion! It took 18 months for the nerves to settle down and stop me waking myself up when my arm brushed my face as I sleep with my arms above my head.

Edited by OSoSwift

Mokha has managed to pull me over when he got a fright from a "really scary cat" while out walking, result sprained ankle, couple of fractured ribs. He got a fright at training once, lead wrapped around my legs, over I went and knocked out face first in front of whole group. Molly on the other hand has jumped on my stomach for a cuddle while I was lying down, thought my insides were going to burst out but other than that the worse damage is a face covered in sneeze snot. My face, not hers. Gotta love those labs.

My OH had an accident when biking with one of our girls. She went one way and he the other. Result, a broken collar bone and the biggest haematoma on his thigh that I have ever seen.

Holy Crap :love:

I was roller blading with my 2 JRTs and fell over and cracked my tail bone. (No, dogs were OK). Damage - Am still having trouble walking one of my dogs due to the 'trauma' !! Don't roller blade when you're 40

OH saved a kitten from a tree (he's a firefighter) - it bit him and he got an infection, swelling right up to his gland in his armpit. - Let's just say he likes dogs !!!

I was doing a day trip up the coast with a girlfriend and each of our dogs. We got to a beach and had them on leash. I started running and Tonka was running in front and the little bugger decided to dart to the other side. I tripped on the leash and went flying frontwards into the hard wet sand. I was so shocked I couldn't get up for about 5 minutes and all these people kept coming up and saying are you ok :) The little mite would have been very sorry if I had actually landed on him!!

Not a walking accident, this happened in my yard - couple of dogs doing zoomies and the Whippet ran into my leg. I crumpled down, dropped my cup of coffee. Ouch, that hurt - couldn't get up so there I was wriggling along on my bum with three dogs thinking this was a great new game. End result was torn ligaments, a small bone break near the ankle and a few weeks on crutches. Beware the zoomie dogs :)

back yard accident here too!

Was walking to the line to hang a load of clothes and tripped over a dog! Ended up breaking the head off my elbow (ow) and had to have surgery (after waiting almost 2 days to get an X-ray, but I did get given the BEST painkillers ever, I was a zombie for those 2 days :) )