Puppy Won't Eat His Kibble...

KLS

I have a nine week old GSD that has decided to stop eating his kibble. When I got him from his breeder I was told to feed twice a day only (does that sound right? was expected three times a day) and was given a bag of Natural Balance kibble, as that was what he was weaned on to.

Well, I can't access NB where I live so I have slowly changed him across to Advance... which has been a big fag failure! First of all he would just pick out the NB kibble, and now he flatly refuses to eat even those. I do the whole leave it down for twenty minutes and then remove it, but he just doesn't eat it. Yesterday was the second day he had gone hungry so I gave him some pulverised chicken necks which he almost hoovered down... is this OK to feed him? He is very active, so mixed with not eating he is getting very light on.

My question is... would it be OK to go without kibble for a while and feed raw foods instead? Are there any good supermarket brands of kibble anyone could suggest? I only ask because Advance is really the only premium food I can find around here in country WA.

My husky loves eating the meat loaf rolls from the supermarket, would it be OK to feed this to the pup?!

Sorry for all the stupid questions :) this is the first puppy I have owned that is so picky with food!

Thanks

Sounds like he's training you easily enough :)

Ok, you're doing the right thing by picking his food up, keep doing that and don't cave in! I would also not give him raw until he's eaten some dry, otherwise he'll learn if he hangs out long enough he gets really good stuff. Personally I like pups to be fed 3 times a day but understand that this isn't always possible for those who have to work.

Have you tried pouring warm beef stock over the kibble to make it a bit more appetising? Or pouring an egg on it? The chicken necks are good, but personally I prefer chicken wings as they are less likely to be wolfed down in one, no need to smash them up - the pup can manage this just fine by himself. A completely raw diet is not appropriate for a puppy IMO as it will not provide all the essentials a growing pup needs. If you're looking for a supermarket level food then try Optimum - I've had fantastic results with my dogs on this and it is always my fall back if my regular food dries up. I belive it's made by teh same people who make Advance.

My question is... would it be OK to go without kibble for a while and feed raw foods instead? Are there any good supermarket brands of kibble anyone could suggest? I only ask because Advance is really the only premium food I can find around here in country WA.

Could you get some Black Hawk delivered? I'm getting a sample pack in the mail and according to what I've read on DOL - even the fussiest dogs seem to like it.

Buy small bags of premium food till you find one he likes.

In the mean time, I've looked after lots of puppies over the years and almost all will eat Optimum from the supermarket, I think its fine for short term. If he's not 100% keen on it, add lactose free UHT milk (same as puppy milk) till he gets used to it. I'd be surprised if he turns his nose up at biscuits with milk, it's always been a winner for healthy pups for me.

If he likes raw food you could try feeding Dr.Billinghurst BARF mix which is a complete food of an evening with a chicken neck to finish off.

I don't know about WA but here I can buy it from large pet barns or vets etc. frozen in sachets - it is very easy to feed and the pups love it.

At least with that you can get a balanced diet into the pup and then introduce dry food back into the diet by either mixing it with the BARF or feeding it dry or moistened with water of a morning.

Guest english.ivy

I'd not eat Advance if I was eating NB!

Where abouts in WA do you live? I highly recommend Black Hawk, there is a Doler near Albany who is a stockist for BH.

Better food for a cheaper price than Advance.

PM me if you want details of who to contact :confused:

Sounds like he's training you easily enough :confused:

I think you're right :)

Thanks everyone for your replies... last night and this morning I tried pouring warm water mixed with beef stock over his kibble... he ate about three mouthfuls and that was it. I'll try the lactose free milk and see how we go.

I know the little bugga is hungry because he going spastic at the smell of the chicken carcasses I was putting in the freezer last night.

I think a major problem is he gets so distracted by everything. I tried feeding him out the back with my other dog, which worked OK the first time, but then he got distracted when I went inside and spent all his time crying at the back door. I've tried feeding him inside, but then ANYTHING will distract him, especially the cats! From now on he's going in his crate to eat... though I already know he will just ignore the food and cry to get out.

Awww really?! Gah... this feeding caper is harder than I thought! :confused:

I live in the Goldfields, many many kms from Perth.

I think I might contact the Black Hawk lady and see if I can get a sample. I'll just have to buy in bulk next time I'm in Perth.

Awww really?! Gah... this feeding caper is harder than I thought! :confused:

I think I might contact the Black Hawk lady and see if I can get a sample. I'll just have to buy in bulk next time I'm in Perth.

I would definitely try Black Hawk if you can get some. My fussy eater goes nuts for it

my 3 dogs won't touch natural balance even though i thought it was a good brand to buy.. they went through 1/4 of a bag and just refused to eat it.

i changed to a different brand that was natural ingredients and the change was dramatic the only kibble they stopped eating not sure why.

Not totally sure about that natural balance either it made my guys loose weight dramatically, good for the weight but bad because it was so fast. maybe it is because it had no crap in it ? that makes them want to eat the other products more?

warm some food up (chicken) that way the heat will release the smell! and add a small amount into the kibble.

Edited by catherine.b

Guest english.ivy

Awww really?! Gah... this feeding caper is harder than I thought! :hug:

Wendy [the perth BH supplier] is really lovely and very helpful. Are you far from Esperance? I live north of the river and goes out her way to get it to me so I don't have to drive so far.

I have two fussy dogs, one who can't keep on weight and one who gets chubby .. they are both going awesome on BH. They both get bored of dry food but always go mad for BH.

I've tried close to all dry foods avail in Perth and BH is the best, in my pack anyway :) I thought about buying double next time I need some, could be a good idea!