1.4 And 1.8 What's The Difference Please?

Rozzie

The 1.8 was my first lens and is super cheap. Now that I've used the 1.4, I probably wouldn't bother paying the extra for it. Are you Canon or Nikon?

I never use the 1.8 below 2.2, so the ability to stop down to 1.4 isn't all that useful to me.

Edited by huga

AF means auto focus.

Yes I have the Canon 50 1.4 and mine had auto focus failure which it is known for. If/when it happens again I'd either buy the cheapie nifty fifty cause I've given that lens as a gift to two of my friends and they both love it, or I'd get a Sigma.

1.8 - crap mount as it is plastic and not robust, and the companies have a lot higher degree of tolerance for soft galss (ie a bad lens can get through easier as it has a higher tolerance level for defects in the glass being allowed) 1.4 -0 metal mount, better glass (but with canon, not as good as the 1.2, but it is the one lens I would not go for the L over the 1,4), but having had the 1.8 & the 1.4, would go the 1.4 everytime)

It's been explained pretty well but I'm another that would probably go for the 1.8 over the 1.4.. I've used both and like Huga can't really tell the difference in image quality (you can if you're really looking and know what you're looking for - like smoother Bokeh). Build wise the 1.4 is better quality. 1.8 holds well though, you can feel how cheaply it's been put together - but seriously, you want bang for your buck go the 1.8.

You can get a 1.8 for about $100-120 depending where you buy from or you can get the 1.4 from around $420. To me I'd rather spend the $100 on the 1.8 and then when it's busted or dead I won't mind getting another.

DWI are ok, I have bought from them before. I tend to spend that bit extra on local suppliers though which makes it easier for exchanges etc.

if it is a 70D, you could get away with using the 1.8, for anything better though (like a 5D or higher), then would not put a crap ens on it, no sense paying good money for a body, and then putting bad glass in front of it, and believe me, you can see a difference in the image quality (and have assessed both canon 1.8 & 1.4 on a 5D & 5DII, and on a Nikon D700), but then again, since I am charging people for what I produce, I pick my tools to suit the job I am doing, and I need to know that what I have chosen will look equally good in a 5"x7" as in a 40"x60", but if you are just using for your own personal use, then go the 1.8