Barking Dogs To Be Targetted

piperspal

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What worries me is the fact that I have two GSD and they bark sometimes... not all the time and NEVER for prolonged periods of time... but we have a horse paddock out the back of my place and they go crazy when the horses walk past, stop and stare at them (lol - it is quite funny) but other than that they're not really a bother.

But one of my neighbours have a grudge against us and would easily go to the council and say my dogs are nuisence barkers and that would be that - I would get a $2,500 fine with no evidence on my behalf - i THINK.

It just scares me because if these laws come in (which they wont because there would be an outcry like no other) I don't want to be at work one day and come home to find my babies gone...

You know what I'd do? I would do what that guy did and went to jail for - I would break into the facility they were in and steal them back. No one takes my dogs. That's that.

Edited by Leelaa17

We need to keep an eye on this ...

Keep an eye on it? I say it needs to be pounced on, squashed, trampled and thoroughly rejected BEFORE it goes ANYWHERE. Don't just sit back and wait because it will take a long time. It'll creep up on you before you know it. Happens every time :cheer:.

True Erny. I was thinking more about them putting the law into their by-laws then legally challenging it.

I do not think this will come to pass because their legal eagles would be telling them it is illegal for them to do this.

I will ring the council up and see what they say as I am sure they can't do it.

ETA i do not think this will get a guernsey as they need to change the Dog and Cat Management Act to make this into council By-Laws.

From the article:

The plans have been developed by the metropolitan councils' Senior Animal Management Officers Forum,which wants changes to the Dog and Cat Management Act. The State Government's Dog and Cat Management Board will comment on the plans when the LGA formally forwarded the proposals.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

What kind of world is it when the RSPCA and their cronies make debarking more difficult to achieve than putting a noisy dog to sleep? :)

That is a profound truth PF.

I hadn't thought of that.

When you write to the Council, throw that question at them, JB. Give them something to ponder on. If they will. :laugh:

What kind of world is it when the RSPCA and their cronies make debarking more difficult to achieve than putting a noisy dog to sleep? :)

That is a profound truth PF.

I hadn't thought of that.

When you write to the Council, throw that question at them, JB. Give them something to ponder on. If they will. :laugh:

I found out that it hasn't gone anywhere yet. This is just a proposal from animal management officers.

So I need to find out if it has legs or if it is just wishful thinking on the officers behalf.

In any event it will not be put into council by-laws until the Dog and Cat Management Act is changed and I can't see that happening any time soon as any changes must go through the Parliamentary process then voted on to before it becomes law.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

In any event it will not be put into council by-laws until the Dog and Cat Management Act is changed and I can't see that happening any time soon as any changes must go through the Parliamentary process then voted on to before it becomes law.

Good on you for following through. I still think it can be a good idea to put something formally in writing, even if it is only an outline of why the mere 'suggestion' of such a law is wrong. No need to go at it like a bull at a gate, but if they can see that their mere suggestion receives such sound but negative response, they might be inclined to bin it rather than to pidgeon hole it for when they have nothing else better to do. If you know what I mean.

This is just me, my thoughts and opinion. I know it is easy to say "go write a letter" when you're not the one who has to take the time to do it.

ETA: Even if it was a letter along the lines of "I am aware that this was sheer conjecture on the part of the Council and I understand there is no strong intent to realise such a law, but as a matter of formality and for the records, I wish my objections to such a flawed law to be noted." Or something like that :).

Edited by Erny

:laugh:

Interesting isn't it?

As a nation, we pride ourselves on being an advanced society in the western world, and we surely have MORE EDUCATION ABOUT RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP, and MORE TRAINING CLASSES AVAILABLE FROM PUPPY AGE UPWARDS, we have SPRAY COLLARs and other deterrents available on the market, and MORE LAWS ABOUT DOGS than at any time in our country's history .......

and yet, BARKING DOGS is still apparently the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT to local councils.

I wonder what could be missing? :)

Not enough time spent with the dog perhaps?

Or is it that owners don't leave Rover with a dinosaur bone to chew when they go out?

Or is it that they leave him in a boring backyard all day, sometimes without adequate water in hot weather, instead of putting him inside before they leave?

Frankly, I am not surprised that councils are considering using shock tactics. They must be exasperated too.

Souff

I think the issue is also too many people living too close and a general lack of tolerance. There is too much noise all around us. But there is little most people can do about most of these noises. So they pick on the most vulnerable targets. Yes, there are dogs who bark a lot. But there are also people who, when told after their council complaint that the barking is not excessive, go out and bait the dog!! Because they don't like any barking. Because they don't like their neighbours. Because they are unhappy and want to take it out on someone else.

I'm sure we have all seen comments by non-dog owners on various newspaper articles about dogs. The amount of viciousness directed at dogs surprises me. It seems way over the top. I wonder if part of it is not caused by heightened levels of stress and frustration in people which is then directed at whatever target is most vulnerable.

The kookaburra in the tree outside my bedroom makes such a noise in the mornings that it is bound to wake up the entire neighbourhood and is much louder and continues for longer than most barkings dogs. The cicadas in summer make such a racket (for hours and hours without stop) that one would need to keep all windows closed to avoid the sound. Then there is the noise of lawn mowers, parties, kids playing, kids crying, possums fighting. No one wants to go out and kill all kookaburras or the cicadas. People pick on dogs because they can.

Edited by Odin-Genie

I think the issue is also too many people living too close and a general lack of tolerance. There is too much noise all around us. But there is little most people can do about most of these noises. So they pick on the most vulnerable targets. Yes, there are dogs who bark a lot. But there are also people who, when told after their council complaint that the barking is not excessive, go out and bait the dog!! Because they don't like any barking. Because they don't like their neighbours. Because they are unhappy and want to take it out on someone else.

I'm sure we have all seen comments by non-dog owners on various newspaper articles about dogs. The amount of viciousness directed at dogs surprises me. It seems way over the top. I wonder if part of it is not caused by heightened levels of stress and frustration in people which is then directed at whatever target is most vulnerable.

The kookaburra in the tree outside my bedroom makes such a noise in the mornings that it is bound to wake up the entire neighbourhood and is much louder and continues for longer than most barkings dogs. The cicadas in summer make such a racket (for hours and hours without stop) that one would need to keep all windows closed to avoid the sound. Then there is the noise of lawn mowers, parties, kids playing, kids crying, possums fighting. No one wants to go out and kill all kookaburras or the cicadas. People pick on dogs because they can.

I have 2 white fluffies near me who bark EVERY time their owners go out and they are very annoying...and I like dogs..there is no excuses for this to be happening.

You don't need to dislike dogs to find barking annoying.

:)

Interesting isn't it?

As a nation, we pride ourselves on being an advanced society in the western world, and we surely have MORE EDUCATION ABOUT RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP, and MORE TRAINING CLASSES AVAILABLE FROM PUPPY AGE UPWARDS, we have SPRAY COLLARs and other deterrents available on the market, and MORE LAWS ABOUT DOGS than at any time in our country's history .......

and yet, BARKING DOGS is still apparently the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT to local councils.

I wonder what could be missing? :thumbsup:

Not enough time spent with the dog perhaps?

Or is it that owners don't leave Rover with a dinosaur bone to chew when they go out?

Or is it that they leave him in a boring backyard all day, sometimes without adequate water in hot weather, instead of putting him inside before they leave?

Frankly, I am not surprised that councils are considering using shock tactics. They must be exasperated too.

Souff

Sometimes, but anyone can complain about a dog barking and exaggerate (sp). It is hard to prove that it isn't your dog unless you film it 24/7.

It is my understanding that nuisance barking DOES have to be proven.

Many owners are surprised just how much their dog does bark when they are not at home.

I think communication between neighbours needs to improve, in the early stages of a problem.

I have a strong feeling that many of the nuisance barkers are not reported to council until the constant barking has driven the neighbours batty.

As with any problem, it first needs to be identified as a problem, and then accepted as a problem, before any correction can be effective.

We had a neighbour's large breed (read LOUD) dog bark, day and night, for 3 days straight. They got told when they got home - by several sleep deprived neighbours.

They were shocked because the dog is always so quiet when they are at home. They had a friend calling around to feed the dog and had not expected any problems.

They now have their dog kennelled when they go away for long weekends, so we all get some sleep, and the dog is not distressed.

Yes there are dog haters who will complain to council because they CAN, but I think there are still a lot of barking dogs as well.

Souff

What is unreasonable barking?

I ask as have had this issue the past year. Cameras and sound monitors show dogs bark around 4 times in a day, thats individual barks not sessions of barking, is that too much?

It not what is unreasonable barking but what is nuisance barking which is defined as barking that interferes with others peaceful enjoyment of their property.

I don't think many Councils put a time limit on the barking.

When I called my council they said that as a general guideline only that any more than 15 minutes of barking per hour could be seen as nuisance barking.

Agree many dont realise their dogs bark and when i got first complaint i took the action to monitor them hence sound and camera recording and have continued to do so for a year now...i was shocked how lazy they were to be honest. Yes it does indeed have to be proven, but actual complaints can be put in without evidence. In our case they complain but have never specified a time when dogs were barking...just brush over with 'all day and all night'. True complaint goes nowhere but its still a pain to deal with every few months, still you live with the threat someone is targetting your dogs and may take their own action. Surely there should be some means to prevent people like this harassing. Instead i am told by council amount of barking isnt the issue, its whether it affects their quality of life (e.g. will a doctor write a letter saying they are distressed by it).

Agree many dont realise their dogs bark and when i got first complaint i took the action to monitor them hence sound and camera recording and have continued to do so for a year now...i was shocked how lazy they were to be honest. Yes it does indeed have to be proven, but actual complaints can be put in without evidence. In our case they complain but have never specified a time when dogs were barking...just brush over with 'all day and all night'. True complaint goes nowhere but its still a pain to deal with every few months, still you live with the threat someone is targetting your dogs and may take their own action. Surely there should be some means to prevent people like this harassing. Instead i am told by council amount of barking isnt the issue, its whether it affects their quality of life (e.g. will a doctor write a letter saying they are distressed by it).

Complainants don't need a doctors letter all they need to say is the dogs are causing them to lose their peaceful enjoyment of their property.

The reason Councils don't put a time limit on the barking is because everyone is different in how barking affects them.

It's sad you can't do anything about noisy children or petrol heads.

I just found out that my neighbour across the road thought my dog was barking - when it was dog belonging to the neighbour next to me. That dog barks a lot, the neighbour has no idea how to train it not to, I've made some suggestions about training it to come (use a happy voice always) and giving it something else to do like a squirrel dude. And bringing it over for play dates so it's more interested in sleeping than barking.

But he just yells at it. How's that working for you, mate? But the dog doesn't bark all night which is good.

Have had experience of an SWF that barked all the time I was in my back yard and when I went into my bedroom or out of it, and at possums. It would bark at the possums all night. No kidding. So I just talked the neighbour directly. A few times but eventually he sorted the problem. Not sure how tho, again - they had no idea how to train the dog not to bark. They had another dog that I trained not to bark (with the hose) but SWF wasn't as smart as the first dog.

10yrs ago I had a neighbour threw a brick over the fence at my Rotties (mum & 2 pups), I saw the brick come flying over just missed hitting them. We paid a visit to the by laws, :) he was hurt very badly in the back pocket from by-laws & health dept due to where he had his truck parked. He continuasly complained about my dogs barking at night under his daughters bedroom window. Funny thing my babies sleeep inside at night and dont have access to that side of my house. It turnd out to be his own dog. They moved just after the Health Dept went through him & cleaned out his wallet with fines galore :) Oh revenge is sweet. None of any other neighbours had an issue with my babies.

Complainants don't need a doctors letter all they need to say is the dogs are causing them to lose their peaceful enjoyment of their property.

The reason Councils don't put a time limit on the barking is because everyone is different in how barking affects them.

And that, precisely, is the problem. If excessive barking is totally subjective, a neighbour can complain that even one bark a day is 'causing them to lose their peaceful enjoyment of the property'. If someone is so sensitive to noise, they should not live in a busy suburb.

I am not trying to ignore the issue of barking dogs. Some dogs do bark a lot and can be annoying.

I also think that some neighbours complain because it gives them power over their neighbours. How frequently have we heard on this forum that neighbours have complained about dogs barking, sometimes even when the dogs weren't home?

If we as dog owners allow people to be unreasonable about dog ownership and let subjective laws raise expectations that dogs need to be absolutely quiet, we may as well get virtual pets.

I would like to see time limits on the barking and excessive barking fully defined so that everyone can be aware of their rights and responsibilities.