More Questions About My Foster Boy - Huey!

PoppyDog

further replies:

*name removed* She came in a truck from the pound with other puppies that are unvaccinated. Sadly dogs from the pound have often had irresponsible owners who dont desex/ vacc/ microchip. She was kept seperate from the big dogs while she was here.

*name removed*

Lisa- one would 'assume' that other dogs visiting that area ( if it was indeed an outdoors area where she was on the ground) had been vaccinated as puppies without their second lot of needles are not meant to go out in public places. Lets not make judgements till we know ALL the facts hey?

Miss Bindi is a tiny bundle or pure puppy joy who makes everyone who sees her smile so wishing her a speedy and complete recovery.

if that second comment is in deffense of their actions I find myself utterly confused...seems like she is saying "these dogs are high risk, but we'll act in a way we expect the entire public at large not to, even if their dogs come from a less high risk environment" - am I reading that wrong???

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This group sounds incredibly unprofessional, sad as they also seem very enthusiastic.

:laugh::laugh: Is it possible to let the Council know and ask if they can treat that park with Virkon or F10? Most rescue peeps learn after one incident but to take unvaccinated and unquarantined puppies into a public dog park is criminal.

There is a law on BCC's books about vaccination. So the council may be very interested in this if its brought to their attention in writing.

personally, instead of spending huge amounts of $ on this pup and asking for donations I would be giving the poor little mite it's wings.

And when are some rescue's going to take responsibilty for their actions :laugh:

so it is okay for an unvacc'd pup to be taken to the park if they're taken by a rescue, but if the general public do and their dog gets parvo it is their own fault?

They will keep this pup alive come hell or high water just so they can say they are no kill.

I'd love to know who they are because I donate a bit to rescue and I wouldn't want to give these people 1c.

so it is okay for an unvacc'd pup to be taken to the park if they're taken by a rescue, but if the general public do and their dog gets parvo it is their own fault?

They will keep this pup alive come hell or high water just so they can say they are no kill.

I'd love to know who they are because I donate a bit to rescue and I wouldn't want to give these people 1c.

Correct

*name removed* Go Bindi! I know there is always big questions about responsibility when a case of Parvo happens, after four years in rescue, I'd suggest the finger pointing is unproductive and is really a circular argument. I'm happy to have the conversat...ion about Parvo transmission via phone if someone is concerned, but truth is, it is a hideous illness with a long shelf life in soil and dogs are moved and taken into the public domain all the time who are not vaccinated.

Reframe this and ask who, what, where gave this poor pup a dose of Parvo, not who Bindi possibly gave Parvo to. And Thank Dog she is with a No Kill rescue group.

Reframe this and ask who, what, where gave this poor pup a dose of Parvo, not who Bindi possibly gave Parvo to. And Thank Dog she is with a No Kill rescue group.

yep keep the poor pup alive, suffering, just to keep your reputation intact, spend big dollars on saving one, who might not come out of this 100 %, spread the disease round willy nilly and blame others, yay for you the rescue group, doing such a sterling job there.

eta not directed a varicool in case someone thinks it was

Edited by Rebanne

from an associated facebook page:

*name removed 1*

If *** and this site are run by the same people could I please ask a question? Why was I blocked off *** site just because I have an opinion that has perhaps irritated an admin on that site? I wonder what has happened to freedom of speech...I was only giving advice, not being abusive or using foul language etc. Im very disappointed. As a vet nurse I thought my info would be useful as you have a recent case of parvo. No doubt this post will be deleted and I will be blocked again......this really isnt how you get supporters. An answer to peoples posts would be more constructive than just blocking and deleting.

*name removed 1* If you dont want to publically answer me please feel free to PM me. Thanks

*name removed2* Lisa I currently have a foster puppy, can you please give us the advice you have to offer?

*reply from the rescue group* - We do not feel the need to explain every step of our processes to you as you are not a foster carer nor supporter of ours. You have been less than positive or constructive with your approachs previously - hence you have not been given a response. Please be assured we have engaged VETS to provide accurate advice accordingly. Given other rescue organisations are not treating parvo - perhaps you could educate them?

*name removed 1* Im sorry, I have only recently 'liked' these sites as I have just moved back from overseas. Im not sure what you mean by : 'You have been less than positive or constructive with your approachs previously' all I said this morning on *** site was that I was surprised that a rescue group would have puppies that arent fully vaccinated in a public place. Other than that I have actually been interested in adopting from *** but I think I have changed my mind.

*name removed 1* If you would like me to educate other rescue groups on the dangers of parvo etc, I would only be too happy to do that, please let me know which ones they are.

ETA - *reply from rescue* it would be an ideal world if we could control the actions of every human with a dog. Unfortunantly that is not the case. As far as other rescue groups - post the question - do they treat parvo? See what you get :laugh:

Edited by Kissindra

the above posted thread has been deleted by the people who run the rescue and I've been banned now from that associated page for adding comments to the thread - none of my comments contained threats, foul language, abusive language or any demands and i even took the time to explain that there was no intention to attack in people asking questions, it is just people feel it is important to discuss and begged them to consider what was being said and reply to reasonable questions.

Instead they deleted the thread and banned those who replied in agreement or also asking why they had been banned from the other page.

It seems everything is falling on deaf ears I feel so sorry for foster carers who are not informed and just members of the public. How many more will of contracted Parvo I am sure many more will come in the following days.

Edited by varicool

I was just reading their page and other posts were disappearing before my eyes :laugh:

If they truly believe they are running their group the right way they should be able to stand beside anything they've said and have the courage to stand up to those that don't agree with them. The fact that they're deleting stuff shows me that they are far from knowledgeable enough nor ethical enough to be involved in saving lives - and in this case risking them. :confused:

Poor Sid, I hope he is okay Huga. If you need to take him to the vet I would look in to your legal rights at having any bills passed on to the group in question, plus also report them to the RSPCA and to their local council.

and I see someone with the same name as the group in question was just reading this thread.....

yes - and so i will point out that all posts I have posted were from a public page so I have not breached any privacy by posting them.

ETA - more comments-

*poster1* If your dog gets sick from a *name of rescue* pup, they will not help you with the cost of your animal be aware *name of rescue* foster carers you will be putting your own dog in harms way we all want to save dogs but remember your pet comes first your the owner always protect your dog first,*name of rescue* are having a parvo outbreak if your own dog is not vaccinated it will catch parvo please be carefull.

*poster 2* For all those concerned, all dogs in my place ARE vaccinated. As a foster carer I made the choice to take in poundy's fully aware of the risks and have taken ALL necessary precautions. Whilst I appreciate the concerns of others, I am not ignorant of parvo risks. I care for both my animals and animals placed in my care as my own children. I weight up which dogs are needing care and make a decision based on my situation and the safety of all animals concerned.

*seperate post* fostering a rescue dog is a heartfelt gift, do I expect my girls school to pay if she needs headline treatment, do I expect them to provide lunches everyday NO neither do I expect a rescue to pay for any treatment that MY pet may need. No cos it's my responsibility to ensure I have my dogs covered before I foster. Wake up everyone seriously

replies to the last post saying that the rspca and other rescues would definately cover any medical costs incured because of a foster dog and that the individual would expect likewise have been deleted.

I find it profoundly sad that nobody can see the risk of unvaccianted dogs is not just FROM fosters but TO fosters

ETA - another comment-

*poster1* If your dog gets sick from a *name of rescue* pup, they will not help you with the cost of your animal be aware *name of rescue* foster carers you will be putting your own dog in harms way we all want to save dogs but remember your pet comes first your the owner always protect your dog first,*name of rescue* are having a parvo outbreak if your own dog is not vaccinated it will catch parvo please be carefull.

*poster 2* For all those concerned, all dogs in my place ARE vaccinated. As a foster carer I made the choice to take in poundy's fully aware of the risks and have taken ALL necessary precautions. Whilst I appreciate the concerns of others, I am not ignorant of parvo risks. I care for both my animals and animals placed in my care as my own children. I weight up which dogs are needing care and make a decision based on my situation and the safety of all animals concerned.

*seperate post* fostering a rescue dog is a heartfelt gift, do I expect my girls school to pay if she needs headline treatment, do I expect them to provide lunches everyday NO neither do I expect a rescue to pay for any treatment that MY pet may need. No cos it's my responsibility to ensure I have my dogs covered before I foster. Wake up everyone seriously

I find it profoundly sad that nobody can see the risk of unvaccianted dogs is not just FROM fosters but TO fosters.

Edited by Kissindra

I was just reading their page and other posts were disappearing before my eyes :hug:

If they truly believe they are running their group the right way they should be able to stand beside anything they've said and have the courage to stand up to those that don't agree with them. The fact that they're deleting stuff shows me that they are far from knowledgeable enough nor ethical enough to be involved in saving lives - and in this case risking them. :D

Poor Sid, I hope he is okay Huga. If you need to take him to the vet I would look in to your legal rights at having any bills passed on to the group in question, plus also report them to the RSPCA and to their local council.

Thank you Clyde. I have phoned my vet who advised me that he should be covered, but to watch him very closely for the next fortnight, just in case. She was horrified to hear of the rescues practices and advised me to contact the RSPCA and council. Which I will be doing :laugh:

Providing the correct information to new foster carers about the risks of disease in pound dogs, and giving advice on how to minimise them, is not so difficult.

Yes, to this. Good if there was a standard info handout that all rescues could share.

My very first encounter with rescue, gave me a lesson in the issues re dogs coming straight from the pound.

It was Cordelia who years back explained to me why she was well situated to take a tibbie straight from the pound. Because she said she was aware of the risks re disease, but was also well informed on how to minimise them.

and I will also point out - the rescue posted that it was up to foster carers to decide if they would be quarantine foster carers or only take fully vaccinated dogs, this was said after Huey's condition was posted about - previous to this no mention was made of any differing types of foster carers and it was certainly not the experience of Poppydog that this was mentioned. It was intimated that quarantine foster carers would have to do all those basic risk management strategies that deleted comments had been suggesting but if this is true - how is it an 8 week old pup was taken in public?