More Questions About My Foster Boy - Huey!

PoppyDog

*bangs head*

And we're back to the same issue of quarantine! Where are these dogs serving quarantine before transportation or are the dogs going straight on to land or air transport from the pound??

If its the latter, IMO this is one of the most irresponsible actions ANY rescue can do given the amount of puppies transported around Australia.

They are putting unvaccinated baby puppies at risk from contracting all manner of illnesses.

All it is going to take is one p*&ssed off puppy buyer who ends up with a dead or seriously ill puppy as a result of sharing close confines with a straight from the pound dog - the airline will be sued (and this could bring live animal transport to an end) and the rescue organisation will be sued and (as PF mentioned), given how many of these organisations are set up - it will be people's personal assets at risk.

There is no reason to take dogs from interstate - plenty of dogs in home state to choose from - focus on them if you're so worried about the number of dogs are going to die (harking back to the guilt trip that was posted earlier in the thread).

FFS rescue - take off the blinkers - it is not all about you and the save at all costs mentality! No point in having this if innocent members of the public and their puppies are the victims of it.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they can't get enough dogs out that they deem on death row from the local pounds, I am pretty postive they wouldn't be getting any from Logan the founder has picketed Logan Pound re the UQ of Qld and Logan Pounds association and just put up a link to a Animal Rights page on the rescue facebook page, that would limit them to maybe Ipswich and Brisbane pound up here?

Ipswich thankfully is about to be partnered with AWL Qld who will be working at the same facility :rofl: Hopefully I will be able to do a bit of volunteer work when we eventually get back to Ipswich. I don't believe they do any quarantine before transport they deem quarantine as having a parvo vac at the pound by the looks of it. They posted the other day that had over 100 in care thats a lot of dogs for a new rescue. Just to add the UQ of Qld have a great rehoming program a lot of the dogs and cats that do go to the UQ for vet students to learn on some do get rehomed.

Edited by varicool

:rofl:

You know what - I sincerely hope one of the rescues who cut corners does get sued. Maybe then others will sit up and take notice and make sure the same thing does not happen to them. The message does not seem to be sinking in otherwise.

If you vaccinate a dog for parvo, who has already been exposed, can they still get it? I would have thought that vaccinating a dog with parvo would not prevent it at all. And vaccination does not remove the need for quarantine!!

If you vaccinate a dog for parvo, who has already been exposed, can they still get it? I would have thought that vaccinating a dog with parvo would not prevent it at all. And vaccination does not remove the need for quarantine!!

Yes they can and do.

That would be a yes. Even vaccinated dogs can get it.

That would be a yes. Even vaccinated dogs can get it.

Yep if its already in and incubating especially if its parvac which as far as I know is the only one which only does parvo as its a killed vaccine and takes longer for the immunity levels to cut in.

But its not just about parvo anyway there are so many things that any of these dogs could bring home to a foster carer and put their dogs and their family at risk.

There are some which can infect other dogs they are travelling with or near or they are exposed to.

Rescue has to acknowledge that what they do isnt just about the dog they see in front of them.There is no excuse to throw a foster carer in the deep end in this way.

Ths poor girl put her hand up to do the right thing and she is not given any tools or knowledge - or respect for what she is doing. What was done here exposed her own dog and environment to something which we now know was parvo but what of the other internal and external parasites zoonotic and potential risks she and her dog and family may have been exposed to which are less obvious at first because of the environment they have come from and the history of their existence before being "rescued" ?

How do you treat someone so poorly? I too am interested in how these animals are being moved around the country - straight from the pound.

But its not just about parvo anyway there are so many things that any of these dogs could bring home to a foster carer and put their dogs and their family at risk.

That's right. I've almost lost a couple of dogs to what started out as just kennel cough.

The airlines should really be pushing for vaccinations.

I used to use a known road transport bloke a fair bit but a month or so back I noticed rescue have discovered him and are now using him too. Great for rescue, but I wont use him anymore now or recommend him. He's a great guy I just can't bear the thought of all those unvaccinated animals that have been through his trailer.

That's right. I've almost lost a couple of dogs to what started out as just kennel cough.

The airlines should really be pushing for vaccinations.

I used to use a known road transport bloke a fair bit but a month or so back I noticed rescue have discovered him and are now using him too. Great for rescue, but I wont use him anymore now or recommend him. He's a great guy I just can't bear the thought of all those unvaccinated animals that have been through his trailer.

My next puppy will be from within the state (by luck as the breeder I want is here) but otherwise I would be doing a roadtrip myself. No more flying or transporting puppies for me.

I hope breeders who send my transport are getting their puppy buyers to sign something which says that transportation is at the buyer's own risk and the breeder will not be liable for anything a pup catches in transit and the costs associated with it.

Funny you should say this. I sent a Maremma pup home to Armidale - flight from Wagga to Sydney - change from Sydney to Armidale about 3 months ago. I always activate the Petplan insurance as they are leaving. Anyway the pup got kennel cough about 5 days after it went home. Ive never ever had kennel cough here and no other of the pups from the dozen in the litter contracted it either. The owner tells me they picked the pup up from the airport and the dog hadnt left their yard between when they got it and when it got sick. The most likely source of the virus exposure appears to be the flight :thumbsup:

My next puppy will be from within the state (by luck as the breeder I want is here) but otherwise I would be doing a roadtrip myself. No more flying or transporting puppies for me.

The selfish and irresponsible actions of a few have placed public dog transport into the "high risk" category.

The issue of quarantine before transport has been repeatedly raised on this forum and some rescues just don't seem to give damn whose dogs are endangered.

Puts paid to the notion of rescuers always having dogs best interests at heart. How you could recklessly endanger other people's dogs by taking dog from the pound and placing it on a flight or in a dog transport just defies logic. :thumbsup:

If a pup of mine ever became sick and I could trace that to an unquarantined dog being on the flight, I'd be lawyering up and taking the rescuer to court. It's negligent behaviour IMO.

Edited by poodlefan

If a pup of mine ever became sick and I could trace that to an unquarantined dog being on the flight, I'd be lawyering up and taking the rescuer to court. It's negligent behaviour IMO.

x 2. I would be soooooo furious it's not funny.

x3 I am disgusted with rescues who do not quarantine their animals.

There is no excuse and it is negligent and I wonder if it is reckless endangerment (or is this just for humans?)

I really hope someone does sue them because maybe they will then get the message.

I will also be taking a road trip if I get a pup from interstate.

I got my pup from NZ but I would never do that again knowing what I know now about poor rescue practices.

I never want new laws but in this case I may have to rethink that position, maybe we do need laws to manage the rescue cowboys

I do not foster dogs but have been thinking about it lately. After reading the posts and how dogdaze has reacted, I will not be fostering. I have two precious babies and do not wish to put them at risk just to save another pup who may have parvo.

Dogdaze, i dont know you but your posts do not do the rescue group any good, whether you are a part of the group or not your attacks here have turned me off fostering any dogs. Your anger just points to a guilty conscience.

The posts from people sadden me about this event turning them off fostering. I volunteer for a rescue group in Brisbane(NOT the one named!!) who do a fantastic job and it angers me that the actions of this particular 'rescue' group have turned people who would be fantastic carers off. I find it deeply upsetting as it is so hard to find dedicated foster carers for the dogs we save and our good work gets tarnished by some selfish acts of other groups.

To all of you who were considering fostering before this happened, please do not be turned off. There are simple methods to make sure that your own dogs are not put at risk. Talk to the rescue group you wish to foster for and make sure that the dog has been vaccinated before you receive it in your care, make sure that they have good procedures in place and make you feel comfortable.

Fostering is the best experience….given you do it with the right group 

Yes I agree that the fallout each time something like this happens is so sad.

Foster carers are the very best resource any rescue group can have .Even without the added risk factors of what has been demonstrated in this thread caused by in adequate operating policies its a major issue for people to consider taking another dog in their homes which will imapct on the life and dynamics of the household.

These people should be treated like gold - trained and nurtured and supported and nothing put as a priority over them and their own dog's welfare.

It seems that foster carers are seen as the lowest level of the chain and treated with appalling lack of understanding - just taken for granted to some rescue groups and its time this was rectified.

Absolutely!!!! Foster carers ARE gold...this group clearly didn't register the fact that without carers they simply would NOT exist! There are SO many good groups out there doing the right thing and do treat their foster carers well and I am PROUD to say I am a member of one of those groups!

ARQ are hopeles!!

Can we shut them down? The BCC is willing to help clean up the problem they have created.

Ipswich thankfully is about to be partnered with AWL Qld who will be working at the same facility :hug: Hopefully I will be able to do a bit of volunteer work when we eventually get back to Ipswich. Just to add the UQ of Qld have a great rehoming program

I wish I were closer to AWL Qld to do something more hands-on than financial support alone.

Yes, the UQ adoption program is one of the best places to get dogs & cats from. Our cat came thro' that program & she's great.

By the way, unvaccinated dogs are all over the place...leaving their 'presence' on footpaths, in parks & other public places. Human shoes supply a transport system.

this from facebook:

Sorry to bug you guys with causes but does anyone have a free back yard? Im an Animal Rescue Qld foster member and we received a list of puppies and dogs who will be killed by the pound COB TODAY! Temporary (average 4wks) or even better permanent homes needed. If you can help please jump over to their page and get in contact with Mel ASAP. You will literally be a lifesaver ♥

Um, being a foster carer or permanent owner requires a LOT more than a free back yard.

this from facebook:

Sorry to bug you guys with causes but does anyone have a free back yard? Im an Animal Rescue Qld foster member and we received a list of puppies and dogs who will be killed by the pound COB TODAY! Temporary (average 4wks) or even better permanent homes needed. If you can help please jump over to their page and get in contact with Mel ASAP. You will literally be a lifesaver

Um, being a foster carer or permanent owner requires a LOT more than a free back yard.

And if, in ignorance of appropriate quarantine procedures, you take that foster dog out and about, you may end up being a life taker.

Thumbs down ARQ.. not good at all.

So so sorry Poppydog!!

I went through almost exactly the same thing last year but lost my little foster girl to the parvo. I received the same response from the rescue group that I was fostering the girl for.

Same stresses as you in regards to my own dog and as soon as it was confirmed it was parvo I raced out of work and rushed my Cavy straight to the vets for a booster vac, killed the house in bleach and threw truck loads of things out. Unfortunately the poor girl didn't make it but thankfully my guy is still kickin it!

It turned me right off rescue as I was so upset about it and I wouldn't bring another rescue into my affected yard. but we have now moved house and have a HUGE yard that is divided into three with a concret area that just needs runs for my own quarantine area it's all starting to pull at my heart strings again.

Hugs to you and I hope you are ok. I hope Huey is ok too! It's not his fault unfortunately and I think if we were wanting to adopt the little girl we lost we would have allowed her to come back into our home after going back into quarantine, but we weren't looking for another dog.

Ipswich thankfully is about to be partnered with AWL Qld who will be working at the same facility :hug: Hopefully I will be able to do a bit of volunteer work when we eventually get back to Ipswich. Just to add the UQ of Qld have a great rehoming program

I wish I were closer to AWL Qld to do something more hands-on than financial support alone.

Yes, the UQ adoption program is one of the best places to get dogs & cats from. Our cat came thro' that program & she's great.

By the way, unvaccinated dogs are all over the place...leaving their 'presence' on footpaths, in parks & other public places. Human shoes supply a transport system.

True however there is an expectation that anyone purporting to have the dogs best interests at heart would behave in a more professional and responsible manner.

Let's be honest, if a breeders behaved like this they would be hung drawn and quartered. the same rules should apply to rescue as it does to breeders