What Bones Do You Give Pups

mini girl

Just wondering what kind of bones exactly do you let your pups have - I have 5 mini poodles now nearly 7 weeks - in a past litter I let the litter have some lamb bones - raw of course but they must have got some small bone fragments and a couple had blood in their poo - it really freaked me out and have not been game to let my pups have bones since - by the way the pups were fine and it cleared up very quickly. Today my mother dog got into the pen with half a chicken wing - I had given her - and gave it to the pups - they just loved it and have read that other breeders let their pups have bones but exactly what - - I let my grown dogs have chicken necks and wings - but what bones and how big would you let pups safely have - it would be good to keep them occupied too. They do have a dish of dry to chew on but not that interested really. The whole litter is promised to lovely homes so I would hate anything to happen to any of them.

Just wondering what kind of bones exactly do you let your pups have - I have 5 mini poodles now nearly 7 weeks - in a past litter I let the litter have some lamb bones - raw of course but they must have got some small bone fragments and a couple had blood in their poo - it really freaked me out and have not been game to let my pups have bones since - by the way the pups were fine and it cleared up very quickly. Today my mother dog got into the pen with half a chicken wing - I had given her - and gave it to the pups - they just loved it and have read that other breeders let their pups have bones but exactly what - - I let my grown dogs have chicken necks and wings - but what bones and how big would you let pups safely have - it would be good to keep them occupied too. They do have a dish of dry to chew on but not that interested really. The whole litter is promised to lovely homes so I would hate anything to happen to any of them.

I give my puppies a chicken neck to explore when 7 weeks....they cant choke, but must be watched.

My pups at 6 weeks get chicken necks (smashed up with a hammer and cut in half) they are supervised with same until eaten.

They also get venison necks YUMMY and pork/lamb bones - kind of like spare ribs JUST to chew on.

Small specks of blood in poo's isn't too much to worry about as after the introduction of solid meals of raw or bones it seems they all get this and then nothing again (well in my litters) I suspect it is just the bowels reaction to something other than milk..... (pure speculation on my part as a GI Nurse)

Chicken wings are also good

I fed lots of raw meaty bones to our pups. We feed a BARF type diet to all of our dogs. What breed are you talking about?

I introduce the bones to them at about 3 - 4 weeks, most of the time they can't eat them but they do mouth them and then start to eat them later on.

Bones used; chicken necks, wings and frames. Lamb ribs, beef brisket bones, veal necks and ribs as well as venison necks and ribs when we can get them.

Mine, 2 GSD's now aged 14 weeks, Love their meaty soup bones bought from Woolies meat department, they always have lots of meat attached. They keep my 2 puppies busy for at least an hour, they also have chicken frames & wings.

Beef brisket are also good but sometimes they are too fatty & sometimes they have very little meat on them.

We feed brisket bones to our 12 week old GSD pups and have so for about three weeks. Used to give chicken necks but had a 6 week old male decide to gobble one down whole before his siblings could get it and this resulted in several trips to the vet to get it out the other end without too much damage.

I use to give my Australian Shepherd pups chicken wings and necks but found that it was safer to separate the pups first as otherwise some would just inhale the whole thing rather than risk a litter mate getting them.