I Have A Slr Camera

I have a CAMERA! So excited to share this, I got a Canon 1000D with Twin Lens kit. Today was my first day with it so just beginning my SLR journey. Question: on the large screen can you make it so you see the image as you are trying to take the picture, like you do with a compact camera? Or do you always look through the ‘peep hole’? Sorry if I am not making sense or using the right terms, still learning.

I have found it all relatively easy so far, but need to work out all the technical terms and options available.

Anyway here is a picture I took today with it. This is Oscar right after having a big romp with his staffy ball today, so quite dirty...

IMG_3066.jpg

Edited by NewAmstaffOwner

You know what? If you are willing to buy 2nd hand obviously you wouldn't get a guarantee, maybe in this case it's worth considering buying from DWI. You would get a new camera but it's grey market, which scares some people off. Here's the Canon 450D body only for $481 Check they actually have them in stock though. I nearly bought this model for a friend only to discover it wasn't in stock.

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...?idProduct=1688

or the 1000D with a kit lens $489

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...?idProduct=1687

You'd have postage on top of those prices though.

You know what? If you are willing to buy 2nd hand obviously you wouldn't get a guarantee, maybe in this case it's worth considering buying from DWI. You would get a new camera but it's grey market, which scares some people off. Here's the Canon 450D body only for $481 Check they actually have them in stock though. I nearly bought this model for a friend only to discover it wasn't in stock.

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...?idProduct=1688

or the 1000D with a kit lens $489

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...?idProduct=1687

You'd have postage on top of those prices though.

This may sound silly but I am totally new to this, what does grey market actually mean and what does DWI stand for? How do you check if they are in stock? Just email them?

Grey market are imported and not guaranteed by Canon Australia. If something goes wrong you might have to send the camera back to the place of purchase, which could be Hong Kong or elsewhere, although I think sometimes they have repairers in Australia. DWI is an online seller based (I think in Hong Kong). You can ring or email them to check if a product is in stock.

Some people prefer to pay the extra knowing if they have a problem they can get it repaired by Canon. The reason I suggest DWI to you is because you are considering buying 2nd hand anyway and sometimes the new prices from DWI are comparable to buying 2nd hand private, although I realise I've already blown your budget with my 2 suggestions. :) It's fun spending someone elses money. :hug:

It definitely is easier spending others money :hug: but at least you didn't blow it out of the park only an extra $100

My issue is are these cameras complicated? I notice lots of people with Canon, I am just unsure if it would be out of my capability range for the time being if that makes sense?

It's a relatively steep learning curve, but once you have a grasp of the numbers, it becomes second nature. It you really want to learn, you can :) Then you just practice. A lot :hug:

You have the added obstacle of owning a white dog :) I've only just learnt what that's like.

I think the 1000D is the most basic of Canons DSLRs. As Huga said it's a learning curve but if you're are genuinely interested in learning you will, it wont seem like a chore. Some people buy a camera and never get it out of auto. You can choose to do that too and you'll probably still get some fantastic photos. If you want to learn more the camera can take you there.

i was thinking of selling my nikon d40 with twin lens kit, small camera bag, SD card (can't remember what size, think it was 2GB) and a book on how to use it (not the manual, although i have that too - it's a digital field guide). it still has extended warranty cover until end of december (like the 28th or something) and i can include the original receipts.

pm me if you're at all interested. hadn't gotten around to listing it yet, but was considering selling it on ebay.

I saw that office works had the Canon 1000D out for $549 rang up and the last one was sold in SA 3 days ago. So SA is sold out :laugh: Super disappointed as I would have gladly paid that for brand new. I guess I will just have to keep my out out.

Huga- The white dog thing is definitely a challenge, but when they come of 'right' boy is it satisfying, even if they are few and far between. Sid is absolutely stunning and I love the chair growth chart you have started. great idea :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I have been taking lots of pics, but I am finding the hardest thing working out which lens to use at the right time.

Snook, thanks heaps for the tips, it was a bit of info overload but once I get into it a bit more I am sure it will be clearer. Would love your notes from the WEA course, I actually got a booklet of their courses yesterday, just need to find time to squeeze it in between uni, plus it is booked out a lot?