Litters Due May 2011

Bilbo Baggins

Don't think I can run Marie and Daphne together at the moment - Marie is in the dog run and just went to put Daphne in and she has hackles up and growling at the door :):cry: . She NEVER does this - they normally sleep together, run together, do everything together (except eat) - please tell me that, if this is a sign of pregnancy, she'll go back to normal after? Previously, when in season, she has been a bit grumpy and the day she went down to be mated she was the same BUT never like this and never carrying on with it. Poor Daphne, she just wants to go and play with Marie as she has missed her but I really don't want them to have a fight in case they decide to hate each other for ever after.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fingers crossed tris!! :) Its so exciting isnt it- you try to read everything you can into it- i guess you just dont really know until the ultra sound- although its sounding good!!

I was on the net trying to read everything i could to try to convince myself that -yes she definanlty is pregnant- i was still questioning after the ultrasound!!! :cry::shrug::birthday:

Although she is getting a little pudgy now....

We have an ultrasound booked for Easter Saturday so fingers tightly crossed until then.

Southern Regions - when is it again - I know its always cold lol? Probably, hope, to be there.

I think we will book ours for about the same time. I think there is only a couple of days between our girls :thumbsup:

I had wanted to get photos of Jazz today but was so busy at a herding clinic that it didnt happen. She has a little less waist than normal and has been growly at other dogs.

post-34456-1301812035_thumb.jpg

Thought you girls like to sticky beak at our belly shot- hardly as impressive as murmastaffs!!! :winner::cheer:

4 weeks to go!!

aawww too cute, at least she is happy to roll over.... bella hates the camera and i have to bribe her with food to pose

Hey all :) Still waiting here... Friday friday friday!! Seems so far away...

she seems to be maybe getting a bit of belly and some flabbier boobs... slowed right down in her eating, and is quiet (but no longer grumpy!). The other dogs are sniffing her a lot... have read this can be a sign as they can have a different scent. :laugh:

I am reading way too much, and looking at her way too much... I guess I just need to take a step back and find some inner patience :cry:

Irish lassy love the belly shot...

Tris I agree with BB - separate them until she gets over her moods...

I'll post Ari's belly shots in a mo...

Just realised that nearly all of us here are first timers!!! so that makes this thread probably more full of questions than usual :laugh:

here are Ari's belly shots...

Week 1/Week2/Week 3

SANY0954.jpgSANY0959.jpgWeek3e.jpg

Week 1/Week 2/Week 3

SANY0953.jpgSANY0956.jpgWeek3b-1.jpg

I had no help with the photo shoots on week 1 and 3!!

That's just what I thought Tris... you can't see much with her standing but she is quite deep chested with quite a tight tum usually. She's also quite a big girl.

I wonder has anyone ever read about doing Bowen on pregnant bitches? Ari's topline is a bit average at the moment and I'd like to get her worked on,but I don't want to if it would cause issues...

It's good we are a few first timers together...

Edited by SparkyTansy

I think she looks different in her week 3 belly shot too.

I rolled Jazz over tonight to try a belly shot and realised 2 things. 1: she is filthy and needs a bath!!! lol. 2: With all that hair there is no visible belly.

Feeling her though it feels like she does not have as much of a waist as she normally does. A friend came over on the weekend and she gave her a pat and said the same thing.

Yes im loving this first timers action!!

Sparksy looks like little boobies to me!! :):laugh::hug: Im excited for you and piper too!!!

We have just gotten some supplies for an enormous whelping box- you can imagine!!!

We are going to have it in our back room near the fire (not too close obviously)!!

Is everyone else using a whelping box or some other arrangement?

IL - My dad made my whelping box. Ari is quite a stretcher and a fairly big girl so i wanted bigger than 4fx4f... i told him 4.5ft x 4.5ft but he did a 5ft x 5ft which is probably way too big... but we shall see anyway. i have the room for it but obvious concern is heat... i have a heat lamp to set up that i'll put in the corner i think...

Ok, my newbie stupid question of the day :p How many days is best for ultrasound? And do I count that from first mating, second mating or probably ovulation date. We mated her (based on prog tests and repro vet advice) on a Sunday and Tuesday. Based on her test results ovulation was most likely Monday (if I have got it right) So they have said ultrasound from day 24 but day 26 is best and after I hung up I realised I hadn't asked from what date? I believe that makes next weekend the best time to ultrasound and of course, as it goes I have to judge herding next weekend!! So would waiting a few extra days matter? I have found info about the count being more difficult further along.

They did say they have a new 3D ultrasound machine though which should be cool :rofl:

IL - good luck making your box. I spent ages and agea and ages looking around at different designs and patterns, took several walks around Bunnings to price materials out and then a friend offered to lend me her heated box as she is not needing it. So now I will be doing that. I do need to get some vet bed though. And the same friend bought me some awesome digital scales and puppy feeding dishes for my birthday (the kinds of things only a new breeder could consider to be awesome presents, lol).

SparkyTansy - at least wit a bit bigger if you put the heat lamp in a corner your girl will be able to stay in there and still get away from the heat.

I'm ultrasounding Ari day 30 from first mating (which is day 28 from second mating), but as I am unsure of her ovulation date, i figured somewhere around there would be ok. I've read up to day 31 is ok.

3D ultrasound how cool - can you take home pics?

I am wondering if my vet prints out the photos but I am guessing not... and also am wondering if they'd think i was weird if i asked for a print out anyway!!

I spent ages looking at designs too - i settled on a design online designed by a great dane breeder... there were bits of advice saying that they built a 4'x4' for labradors etc, but Ari is a fair bit taller/longer than a lab, so glad I went bigger than 4' but kind of wish it wasn't as bit as 5'... my dad doesnt' listen, and he was annoyed he had to buy more wood because all the lengths came in 4'... lol

Yes I agree wtih you piper I figured putting it in the corner would mean puppies can migrate over there if cold but Ari can stay cool if she needs to.

We did 28 days for kloey- she couldnt actually count the amount convincingly- she just could say lots

It was the second mating for us though- we did fresh AI and the first collection wasnt soo good

When i have had pregnant bitches here from my breeder in the past we have always had it around the 30 days- It was just a conenience thing also for us to do it on day 28.

She said we could do it again in 2 weeks if we really wanted to know numbers etc- she also offered xray later on but i wasnt that keen on exposing the little ones to radiation?

does any one have any ideas on this?

Is anyone going to get xrays?

I am sure xray has its place- to check the birth canal- the vet said to make sure they could make it through!!Also to know how many puppies etc to wait for etc?

She said it shouldnt be a problem for kloey though.

Sparksy- i got a design from a great dane breeder offline also- was it www.mcemn.com

i might need som of those puppy feeding dishes- where do you get them from anyone know?

Time to get the whip out on the husband to do some work on the whelping box!!! :p :rofl::):o:(

The Saturday would be easiest for me, except for the issue of having to judge. I guess I will book it for the Monday evening instead.

The whelping box I am borrowing has a heated base but I am thinking I won't use that but will get a lamp instead as I like the idea of them being able to get away from the heat and also I don't want it to be too warm for Jazz to be comfortable.

I am seriously thinking she is either having a phantom or is pregnant, I will be quite surprised if she is not. Her behaviour has changed so much, she has never been like this after a season. Tonight she decided to guard me from the other dogs and she is either ultra clingy or totally separating herself from everyone.