Three Years Ago Now Kuga, A Very Special Old Man

hortfurball

Kuges came to me as a 7 week old pup. A great dane x labrador, he had the softest nature - one day I found him in the back yard with a baby dove cradled between his front feet. It had obviously fallen out of its nest and he had been gently licking the poor thing for a while as it was saturated.

He grew up with a rabbit that was initially bigger than he was, but it was only a couple of weeks before he overtook it. He then shared his life and home with a variety of housemates, kittens, puppies, another rabbit, a galah and even a couple of rats. He was gentle with them all, a real sweetheart.

He wasn't perfect, but he was perfect to me. A big softie, he loved to please, he absolutely lived to please me. He was never the sharpest tool in the shed, but he always tried his best. He hated being bathed, but as soon as I took him into the bathroom and took his collar off, his ears would droop and he'd step slowly into the bathtub and stand head down, waiting for it to be over.

People said I'd be lucky if he made it to 10 because of the breeds that were in him and his size. His heart condition was diagnosed when he was 11 and I was certain I'd only have another 6-18 months with him. I've been emotionally preparing myself to lose him since then, and telling myself to observe and be strong and not let it ever get to the point where I left it too long.

Over the next 5 years, he lost condition in his rear end. We had a couple of false alarms over the last couple of years, the most notable when he had a bout of geriatric vestibular syndrome, which once we got over the fright, caused a bit of amusement while he recovered, and a couple of flat days that were probably heart related.

But though his body gradually slowed, he was always happy and alert, and liked to follow me around the house and lie at my feet when I stopped. I was delighted when he reached his 16th birthday in December. Over the last few months however, things gradually declined, and in the last week they really got worse.

The heart condition was finally depriving him of oxygen and he panted all the time, to the point where it became difficult for him to stop panting long enough to eat. This last week I really noticed he was tired. It was an effort for him to walk, and even just to stand. His back legs weakened, and after a couple of days of him walking slightly crouched, on Friday I made the hardest decision of my life, on Saturday I spoiled my boy rotten and cursed the wasp that stung him on the nose on Friday night and on Sunday I let my boy go, with love, comforting words and half a tissue box full of tears.

I know that it was absolutely the right thing to do and exactly the right time.

See you over the bridge one day, my beloved baby boy. rainbowbridge.gif

Kuga 16/12/94 - 20/03/11 always in my heart

Kuga8weeks01.jpg

Kuga12months.jpg

Poser.jpg

2004Kugalovely.jpg

Kuga02.jpg

2009_0303Image0036.jpg

Edited by hortfurball

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuges your job here is done. Time now to look after the birds and bunnies over the bridge ole man. :rolleyes:

:confused: Hotfurball.

Guest Willow

It was a pleasure to have met him Horty, he truly was very special, I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to him.

You are in my thoughts.

xxxx

:rofl: Oh HFB, what a beautiful old man he was, I'd never seen pictures of him as a youngster - he was stunning.

We know all too well that huge hole he will leave in your life, 16 years is a long time, but not long enough for us. :rofl:

Huge hugs from our clan.

fifi, danny & hounds xxx