Three Years Ago Now Kuga, A Very Special Old Man

hortfurball

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horts, that was a beautiful tribute to Kuga. I hadn't seen some of those photos of him as a young dog. He was a stunner and aged into a gorgeous old gentleman. You gave him a wonderful, long life of love and, in the end, the greatest gift of release. My heart goes out to you. RIP Kuga.

My heart is breaking for you and there are tears in my eyes. 16 years was a wonderful innings for this beautiful boy.

I am so sorry for your loss and the hole he has left behind. I hope it is not too long before the sadness makes way for happy memories.

RIP Kuga, you were much loved.

:)

Edited by White Shepherd mom

16 years... wow.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kuga seems like such a special boy. Your tribute brought tears, I felt like I knew him - I think we all have a special dog just like him in our hearts.

RIP Kuga.

Hugs to all who will miss him terribly.

Thank you everybody. I'm surprisingly ok. Obviously there's a huge void, and you do stupid things like listening for the clicking of claws on the floorboards down the hallway and going "7.30, time for his pill...oh" (5 years, twice a day - very ingrained habit) but the hardest part was making the decision, trying to objectively assess his condition in that last week while every fibre is saying "too soon, too soon" and the vet visit. I couldn't have kept him any longer, it would have been cruel, so I can't feel too sad for easing his burden. I'll miss him like hell, but the tears are only coming when some little thing sets me off (obviously writing his tribute was one such moment) and if I'm stupid enough to relive, even for a split second, any of that final vet visit in my head. :( The first 12 hours or so after the vet I had vivid snapshot-like flashbacks and they were devastatingly painful, like physical blows, but thank dog they have stopped.

16 years... wow.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Kuga seems like such a special boy. Your tribute brought tears, I felt like I knew him - I think we all have a special dog just like him in our hearts.

RIP Kuga.

Hugs to all who will miss him terribly.

And there were many! :) He has a number of aunties (ex housemates and good friends of mine who came to love him over the years.) My BFF (the housemate he spent the first three years of his life with) came with us to the vet, along with my new(ish) man, who fell for Kuges in a matter of months. Another 'auntie' came to spend a few hours with us before the vet visit. He was one of those dogs who just seemed to endear himself to all he met with his greeting of "Herro, I wuv you, can I have a pat?" I remember one housemate whispering "Shhh, don't tell Ella but Kuges is my favourite!" An ex boyfriend who was scared of large dogs spent six months with Kuges and went and bought himself a flatcoat a couple of years later, not much smaller than Kuges. When they had playdates, she and Kuges used to do the most amazing body slams but he had the weight advantage and she went rolling! :eek:

Rest easy Kuges :laugh:. I am so sorry ;). 16 is just amazing for such a big dog.

Yes...every 25 days I had to call the vet to order his heart pills. I remember one day when I called, the vet nurse said "OMG, is he STILL with us?" :D No points for tact but thankfully I saw the funny side of it.

I had a 12th birthday party for him because I thought it would be his last, a 13th birthday party for him, a 14th birthday party. When he got to 15 I just said "Stuff it, he's going to outlive us all."

We had many beautiful stolen years above and beyond all expectations, he defied the odds to stay with me as long as he did. He always did want to please. :) But I had to make the decision for him, it would have been selfish to keep him any longer.

God i love the oldies! what a gorgeous boy :) I am so sorry for your loss :(

He looked kinda like yours in his last years with the way his face went silver! Almost perfect malamute/husky markings! :D