Dog Attack?

d22

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

d22 - personally I think you did a bloody good job, it would have been a frightening situation. Bad enough getting caught up with a dog attack and your baby in a pram with the dog attached would have been awful.

When my kids were small I always attached our old girl to the pram, didn't think anything wrong with it at the time, perhaps we were just very lucky.

Hoping your walks are more enjoyable and they find the other dog and the owner is dealt with properly and that Lexi was not injured or suffers any fear because of it.

Hi D22,

you did the right thing.

You might like to add the empty pram to some walks, just to check if that is making a difference to your pup (just tell people you are training an assistance dog if you get strange looks).

And yes, keep the leash separate from the pram, this allows you to drop the leash if circumstances dictate.

And as you have probably guessed, most people would not recommend touching an unknown and aggressively acting dog - it puts your hand and arm in reach of the dogs mouth, and you in danger.

ChristineX

:laugh:

too funny!!

Thanks for all the 'welcomes' everyone :D

Welcome d22!

Your going to love DOL! :D

Same goes as everything one else. I walk my two whilst pushing the double pram, keep the leads seperate from the pram just in case and if ANY offleash dog approaches, I YELL aggressivly at them, stamp my feet or charge at them with my arms in the air. I have kicked offleash dogs before that have tried to attack my dogs as Bonnie would retaliate and I am sure their owner would prefer a bruised dog as opposed to a dead dog. I LOVE all dogs but my dogs and kids come first, if a dog acts aggressivly near my pram when my kids are in it, you can bet your life it will promtly get a boot up the backside.

Definitely report this to your Council, that was an attack, regardless of the fact there were no injuries. And while you're at it, take some notes on what you remember: date, time, description of the other dog in as much detail as possible (size, colour, breed, gender, distinguishing features, behaviour), where you were, direction of travel, location of possible home of the dog, any witnesses. Also do a mud map, showing what happened. Do all this while your memory is fresh, and also state how you felt about the issue, if you felt threatened yourself as well that you were in imminent danger of being attacked that can also be considered a form of attack (menace) in some councils.

If you don't report, council cannot act. The dog may already be known to council, in which appropriate action should be taken. And if not already known, it now has a history, and any future issues should also be dealt with appropriately.

As for the other bit :laugh: Corker!

Here in the ACT its an attack/harrass. So if attack doesnt cover it harrass usually does. So you dont to worry about defining it so long as the dog acted in a way that you felt harrassed or in danger.

Hope your walks in the future are more pleasant!

Stand infront of your dog - if you can get it to sit and stay, if not just hold it there. Hands on hips, feet slightly apart, look at it and "roar" and I mean get a lung full of air and mean it- a roar that means if you come near me or my family I will take you apart limb from limb!

I have used this technique before to good effect - not sure though if it was my 'roar' or the fact that (because of child in aforementioned pram) my pelvic floor muscles are not a reliable as I would like and I sort of wet myself..

Maybe my very loud and confident interruption of attacking dogs focus was more effective because I was also seen as 'marking my territory'?

Stand infront of your dog - if you can get it to sit and stay, if not just hold it there. Hands on hips, feet slightly apart, look at it and "roar" and I mean get a lung full of air and mean it- a roar that means if you come near me or my family I will take you apart limb from limb!

I have used this technique before to good effect - not sure though if it was my 'roar' or the fact that (because of child in aforementioned pram) my pelvic floor muscles are not a reliable as I would like and I sort of wet myself..

Maybe my very loud and confident interruption of attacking dogs focus was more effective because I was also seen as 'marking my territory'?

Coffee 'splerk' moment! :laugh::o:love:

Priceless :love::laugh:

Welcome D22

Was the attacking dog entire? I have watched many episodes of Bondi Vet and would be happy to share what I've learnt about desexing techniques :)

:love: :D

Priceless :laugh::bolt:

More :(

I'll do a lot to forestall an attack on my dogs, but I never thought of going that far :laugh:

:laugh::bolt::love: It seems you may need reiki

Welcome D22

Was the attacking dog entire? I have watched many episodes of Bondi Vet and would be happy to share what I've learnt about desexing techniques :(

:love: :D

Priceless :laugh::bolt:

More :(

And again :)

:bolt::love: :D It seems you may need reiki

:laugh:

Or maybe Tony can help you?

Tony Carlucci has great knowledge in Dogs Psychology studying in the UK, he also has Masters in Energy and Emotional Communication and Healing.

To the O.P,

I feel you were completely justified kicking the dog. COMPLETELY. You're precious baby may have been in danger as well as your precious dog and I will never hesitate to hurt an attacking dog. Regardless if he was attacking or not here are the facts,

- There was no owner present

- The dog was unrestrained, unidentified and uncontrolled

- Your baby and dog were in immediate danger because the dog was unrestrained, unidentified and uncontrolled.

You do not need to feel any guilt or etc you did the right thing. Carry an umbrella or stick or something long and hard (you could probably keep an umbrella comfortably in the compartment of a pram rather than a stick :laugh: ) with you for future walks cause although this offending dog retreated if you are dealing with an eighty kilo mastiff or even a twenty kilo pitt you need to realise kicking or 'poking' is not appropriate just based on your own safety. Next time any dog approaches you unrestrained and in any way that may threaten your child and your dog you swing that stick and you hit that dog like it's a mexican piniata feeding diabetic children lollies.

YOUR safety YOUR child's safety comes first period.