Golden Retriever Attacks 4 People

Inevitablue

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the same thing.

It's a terrible thing to happen, but I feel this could possibly provide an argument against BSL. I mean honestly, who in their right mind would advocate for the banning of owning and breeding goldies?

This is an extremely sound example of banning the deed and not the breed, since most goldies are known for their solid friendly temperaments.

As horrifying as the case may be, maybe it can serve that purpose for stopping BSL.

A friend of mine had the most beautiful golden for ten years then one day out of the blue did just what this one did. He attacked both my friends parents and did quite a bit of damage to their arms and hands.

They believed the dog had a brain hemorrhage but never really found out as the dog was put to sleep that day.

Very sad to all those involved

My dog would behave somewhat worse than that GR was, facing a camera crew.

She'd put on the fiercest barking killer attack dog keep-out-of-my-yard display. There would be no way she'd back off and nick around the corner where she couldn't see the camera crew either.

But with her it's all bluff, she keeps her distance. Even the latest gas meter reader ignores it. Sigh.

The GR looked like the caged tigers in pens too small at the zoo - all that back and forth.

The news article I read said it was in its own fenced yard. May have been defending its territory. Animal looks pretty distressed and it is covered in blood.

Awful all round.

But any dog is capable of an attack regardless of breeds if the conditions are right or should I say wrong.

A lady I met at a party had a GR that had badley bitten a small child and was in the process of being declared dangerous. She had tied it up to a lamp post and gone inside a shop. I just wonder what gets into people's heads really. She said the dog was nervous around strangers. Why would you tie a nervous dog outside in a public place and not expect something to go wrong?

Looks like a Golden Retriever to me. It has longer hair on its tail and tummy which Labradors don't have (I believe....)

Even though Goldens are known for their great temperament, I also agree that it can happen with any breed. Who knows what it's history is like or like others have said it could be a medical condition that has caused it.

And those bloody news reporters and their cameras! Can't they see that the dog is clearly distressed??

Very nasty this incident, but to me doesnt look like pure breeding in the Labrador is look not quite right. The frenzy attack to bite 4 people dog is very much stressed into defense drive fearing his life to do this if not from a medical complaint is possible too, but would be intersting to learn of the trigger bringing this to unfold I am thinking, yes?.

Someone mentioned in this before about the resourse guarding, perhaps is possible the dog he get a bit nasty and someone all it takes is maybe boot the dog agggghhh naught boy you dont do this resourse guarding is bad dog for the dog to switch into defense drive and attack under the fear. Its not taking much to spook the dog into viscious reaction, sounds very much like this is more possibility than the dog for no reason he just go troppo. Very possible he does a snap on someone so other person try and give him a belting for the bad behavior and worsen the situiation into viscious attack maybe possibility.

Joe

Saw it just then on channel seven news looks like a golden retriever to me no cross.

The reporter said quote,

'The dog being removed from it's backyard looked more like a scared pet than an attacking dog.'

Or similar to that line. Funny how they say it looks like a scared pet simply because it's a G.R and not a pitbull. I have seen many pitbulls being dragged from their yards (after attacks) looking just as scared and timid but they are always labelled as savage. But no news bias there.

The dog had blood on it's face and fur so it did some significant damage regardless.

I thought it looked like a GR x Lab. The ears were a bit shorter than normal GR ears, and the coat wasn't as long and fluffy either. But then I'm comparing this dog to my GR and teh few other GRs I've seen. I guess the GR breeders here would be able to provide more informed opinion.

Update from ABC news:

A shouting match between two brothers has ended with the family dog attacking both men, their mother and a 60-year-old neighbour in Sydney's south-west.

The two men and the neighbour were taken to hospital with bite marks to their hands and arms, while the 48-year-old woman received a bite to her hand.

Police were called to the Belfield home this morning where they found the dog, a golden retreiver, in the yard.

Acting Inspector Michael Stewart says police are considering whether to press charges, and may destroy the animal.

"A minor domestic disturbance within the house, some arguing, the family dog has then attacked a 24 and a 23-year-old, two brothers," he said.

"The dog has been secured in the backyard, and police are making further enquiries about possible charges."

Wonder if the dog thought the two brothers were attacking each other and tried to intervene. Either way this is a pretty extreme reaction if the dog didn't have a mental condition.