Golden Retriever Attacks 4 People

Inevitablue

Huski don't try to demean my intelligence through your jaded interpretation.

By too many dogs being out to sleep I was using the pound as an example of a subject that is always brought up, but no one says well stop whining it happens etc. I just used the pound example as an example to a dog subject that others also feel strongly about but don't get told to drop it or that they are sick of hearing about the subject. That is all I am going with that part. I could have used puppy mills as an example get what I mean? I am saying other subjects involving dogs are also brought also complained about also debated so why am I being told to drop it? Am I not entitled to also defend my breed?

you are absolutely entitled to defend your breed. However, pitbulls really have nothing to do with the story here. I don't see one mention of them in any of the news articles relating to this particular attack

Huski, by exceptions I mean and if you took the time to actually read my posts I use examples such as a provoked attack, a dog being tormented that turns around and retaliates, a dog protecting it's property, a dog protecting it's owner why do I have to reiterate because you're too lazy to read. That are my definitions of exceptions and there are probably a million more but I also do think it depends on the damage done. Someone earlier made a good point that attack varies from bite and it generally does get misused [the term].

Do you think people fighting could be considered a provocation?

The dogs that should be put to sleep are dogs with outright human aggression, a dog attacking without provocation etc. They are unstable and unsuitable to be rehomed and should be put to sleep for both the dogs safety and of course humans.

I think you will find that except in very rare cases of a neurological condition, that there is always a provocation for the dog, its just that many people are not able to read the warning signs effectively

To the comment if it were my dog. FIRSTLY let me tell you. If my dog EVER EVER attacked any human UNPROVOKED (so without reason just attacked someone) I would take my dog to the vet and have him euthanised. Either or both of them without hesitation. No question. There is no excuse for trying to make excuses. I would have to admit that I failed in raising a stable friendly dog and the consequences to that are someone was attacked and it would be irresponsible of me to try and rehome rehabilitate or assess my dogs they attacked uprovoked and for no reason and hurt someone. But I have faith in my dogs that they would NEVER attack anyone unprovoked. Now I said faith not psychic ability so I cannot predict it will never happen but I can guarantee it won't.

I am afraid I don't understand why it would be irresponsible of you to try and rehabilitate the dog and assess why it attacked? I also believe that my dog would not attack anyone (even if provoked) but if she were to attack and I had the opportunity i would absolutely get her assessed by a professional and try to rehabiltate her if they thought I was capable

The fact that it never attacked before please. Tell me how many times you heard of another breed attacking and the owners say,

'He is always friendly! He's never attacked before!!!'

I definitely agree with you on that one, especially regarding dog aggressive dogs! HA dogs are a bit different as they will usually be reported to the authorities

What we define as aggression a person who is inexperienced may not and may have simply missed the warning signs.

True, but I am not sure what your point is here?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently the dog and the owners had been threatened by a man with a knife a fews days before, so the dog was possibly feeling a bit threatened and out of sorts. The two younger men (brothers ) were fighting in the house which is what triggered the dog to attack. so it seems there is a little more to this....

more info

Just makes the dog sound more unreliable and not suited.

Most dog attacks happen in the home of the dog and to those it knows.

But its a Golden Reriever!

They dont attack.

Must be some other obscure reason

this cant be what it seems at all

Yes...

Have you ever read the Legend of Gelert?

We could investigate the dog's behaviour. But more importantly I think there should be some thorough detective work investigating what the humans were doing first.

apparently the dog and the owners had been threatened by a man with a knife a fews days before, so the dog was possibly feeling a bit threatened and out of sorts. The two younger men (brothers ) were fighting in the house which is what triggered the dog to attack. so it seems there is a little more to this....

more info

Just makes the dog sound more unreliable and not suited.

Most dog attacks happen in the home of the dog and to those it knows.

But its a Golden Reriever!

They dont attack.

Must be some other obscure reason

this cant be what it seems at all

Yes...

Have you ever read the Legend of Gelert?

We could investigate the dog's behaviour. But more importantly I think there should be some thorough detective work investigating what the humans were doing first.

of course, and doesn't it make you teary every time

but no correlation here really -

Gelert attacked and killed a wolf, no man

You've mentioned dogs that are poorly cared for and professional working dogs mostly GSDs, rotts and mals..

You've left out the many guardian breeds like Bullmastiff, Cane corso, Central Asian

that are bought to be both household guardian and are not trained to be security animals.

Yet they will guard.

Lots of dogs are bought with the main purpose to guard the home.

It would not be unusual for these to attack their owner like the GR did?

Assuming their owners were competent and in control I see no reason why they would attack their owners. And I hope that their owners would not encourage them to be aggressive towards strangers.

I certainly would hope their owners would be able to call them off, if they did decide to attack a stranger.

Obviously, if you bring a dog into your home with the intention of it being a guard dog- and i would interpret that to mean being capable of attacking someone, there is an increased risk of it attacking the owners, if they are not competent.

I actually know a few Maremmas that have attacked visitors and even their owners before, which i put down to poor breeding and training and inappropriate breed choice.

Edited by aussielover

Huski don't try to demean my intelligence through your jaded interpretation.

Jackie, perhaps you need to step away from the computer for a bit. You are clearly getting overly emotional about this and it is clouded your ability to think rationally. I never even attempted to "demean your intelligence".

Huski, by exceptions I mean and if you took the time to actually read my posts I use examples such as a provoked attack, a dog being tormented that turns around and retaliates, a dog protecting it's property, a dog protecting it's owner why do I have to reiterate because you're too lazy to read. That are my definitions of exceptions and there are probably a million more but I also do think it depends on the damage done. Someone earlier made a good point that attack varies from bite and it generally does get misused [the term].

And my point is that you have absolutely no idea why the GR in this story behaved the way it did. How do you know it was an "unprovoked attack"? How do you know so much more about this dog and it's behaviour than anyone else in this thread? How can you make a decision on what should be done with this dog without ever having even met it?

Edited by huski

Jackie, if you read through a previous thread (maybe someone else can help me find it) about i think it was 2 Malamutes that attacked and killed a dog- many posters were calling for the same type of assessment etc to be done on them- the point of assessment is not always to save, to rehome, to rehabilitate- it is to determine "WHY" so that we can then start to prevent- how can we prevent attacks when we have no clue what we are trying to prevent?

There is always a reason why a dog attacks a person- doesn't make it acceptable or okay but there is reason.

Poor dog and people, it wont be much of a life when its declared dangerous for attacking people, muzzled and caged etc. unless some family member steps up and finds a defence for the behavior under what ever law it is in that state and saves its arse..

Jackie, if you read through a previous thread (maybe someone else can help me find it) about i think it was 2 Malamutes that attacked and killed a dog- many posters were calling for the same type of assessment etc to be done on them- the point of assessment is not always to save, to rehome, to rehabilitate- it is to determine "WHY" so that we can then start to prevent- how can we prevent attacks when we have no clue what we are trying to prevent?

There is always a reason why a dog attacks a person- doesn't make it acceptable or okay but there is reason.

:laugh: Exactly Cos.

Thread you were referring to:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=212434

Edited by huski

It seems like some people in this thread think the dog should be put down without assesment simply because thats what would happen if it was a more notable breed like pitbull, staffy ect.

Yeah that makes sense.......

Should we assess every dog as a individual? They're dogs first, breed second.

Edited by lovemesideways

Let me explain please talking of the breed.

Particular traits is necessary for the successful guarding and protection dog training for the fighting drive and courage and confidence in the dog to have a fight. The Golden Retriever Dog has none of this traits in making his genes, so yes, is unusual for this breed to attack the 4 people in pure aggression I agree on this point.

If the dog in this story be a breed having this trait for adapting to protection dog like the German Shepherd Dog, the Belgian Malinios, the Rottweiler, and some of the Mastiff Bull types of breed to name a few possibles, sometimes these breeds are not of a breeding with balance in the gene and can have the over sharpness, social aggression, and the willingness to fight when he provoking and he need experienced handler and the training for him to be safe dog.

When attacking 4 people if he the breed who can having this trait, he need assessment to determine his chararcter if he suitable dog to be safe in the home of course. So, the only thing the same that all breed of dog share is 4 legs, the temperament is different and because some breed has the trait in the genes for aggression is why when these breeds attack they come in the spot light to assessing if the animal a danger in society, because is a dog, doesnt mean they all the same, some breeds do have more likely to being aggressive than others is fact. All dogs have the teeth, yes, and all dogs can bite in partcular circumstance is true, but not all dogs and breeds have the trait for pure aggression if it be trained in the dog or it come out from genetic unbalance.

Is like you cant training the Labrador for protection, because hes pussy under pressure and he run away, no good, so in the working dog they have him sniffing the drugs is good. The good German Shepherd Dog we train him for protection because he has the trait in the gene to give his life under pressure and die for his handler in the fight, he not run away, he go harder till he win or die is the difference. This hardness in the dog cannot be something to train, hes either got the trait or he hasnt and some breeds have more likelyness for this trait than others is fact.

In a perfect world of perfect breedings, none of this protection breeds should attack the people for no reason is true, but not all the breeding of this dogs and the cross breeding is perfect and sometime in the breeds with the traits in the genes to train in protection have too much of some traits to cause aggression when it shouldnt be happening is why the authorites look more at the breeds having the trait when attacking happens different to when attacking happens with breeds like the Golden Retriever Dog that doen't have the traits for fighting, yes?.

Is very understandable we like to say that all breeds are beautiful, they all the same and a dog is aggressive because he tied up in a chain and hit with the sticks, but we needing understand that in some breeds aggression is more likely than others, and we also needing to understand if we own the dogs that have the working trait, you train him properly and make him your goal to be a good dog and learn the social ability and making sure he never bite anyone is the owners reponsible to manage to the dog properly.

Joe

This is OT but Im really sorry JoeK, I really have a hard time understanding what you're talking about. :laugh:

English is obviously not his first language, so you may need to cut him some slack.

Joek, I think I understand what you mean, but people have been breeding certain traits into & out of dogs for a long time. And my friends Labrador certainly defends his property.

Is just come to the news that the next door neighbour grab the dog by the throat as he biting the owner and the dog then attack him. Idiots as I suspected, should have grab the dog by the back legs, is no wonder the dog switch into the defense, I am very sad for the dog he pushed into that positon to defend and then put to sleep.

Joe

Poor Buster! It is very sad. :) He is being put to sleep for being a dog and behaving like a dog. Dogs are not humans, however much they are trained they are still animals. I am sure his instincts kicked in and he reacted to what he perceived to be a threat. :)

I wonder if the same sympathy would be shown if the dog was one of the breeds the Media have labeled Dangerous :) breed discrimination is alive and well. :)

The dog regardless of breed has attacted four people including the owners and the council ranger is seen patting the dog on the head as it's lead away. I bet money the ranger would not have, if it was one of those Dangerous breeds. :cheer:

Of cause there's something wrong with this dog, but would you have this dog around kids ? Imagine what damage could have been done to a small child, is it worth the risk.