What's This?

I'm worried about Puck, he's got this mark on his front leg I first noticed yesterday. It looked different then, it had a dark patch of skin. I bathed it in betadine and put a dressing on it for a few hours to disinfect it. I took the dressing off later in the day. This morning it looked more like it does now. I put Manuka honey on it for a few hours but I've taken it off now to get a good look. He licks it alot and it looks sore, inflamed and infected I think with that strange ring of pus around it. 5557984174_2c9e815fbb_b.jpg

I'm starting to think a visit to the vet might be in order but I'm not sure what they can do for it. He is otherwise happy enough, he had a big run around and play at the park with his brother, he's eating well.

I've just booked him in to the vet, we cant get in until tomorrow morning.

Ouch it looks nasty, poor fella, I'm thinking hot spot too but I dont think the ring of pus is consistant with a HS?? Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. It looks so wet, wonder if you could use curash powder and some how stop him liking it?

I think its just stayed too wet and hence the look. I would put betadine on it and leave it open, wipe something like vapourub on the leg close to it to stop him licking it

wounds like that I wouldnt put dressings on, they need to dry out in the air. Looks like he has run into something, do you have any metal or polypipe sticking out anywhere? If the leg's not swollen by now and he's not running a temperature by now he 99.9% wont

I'd suggest trying to clip the hair off around the area. (If you can)

Bath with salt water, and let air dry. Then dab on some Betadine and leave it open. Bandaging will probably just keep it moist and make it fester more.

I'd say he has done more damage from licking than whatever the original wound was. Maybe a small puncture wound or scratch?

Stopping the licking is most important at this stage.

:laugh:

back from the vet. She thinks it's a bite of some kind, probably a spider and is treating the sypmtoms of inflammation and infection. Pucky got two needles and some cream. Already it doesn't look quite as red and angry but it's still inflamed. I hope it doesn't turn into some kind of horror story like some pics I've seen. I suppose we've done all we can though.

Any improvement Kirislin?

(I know, I'm a nosey parker!) ;)

no you're not, thanks for asking. It's drying out and crusting over but I am waiting to see what it's like when the crusty scab peels off. I am still treating it with the anti inflam cream twice daily and Pucky ignores it all day but goes all sooky when I put the cream on. :o

I'll see if he will let me take a pic when it's daylight.

Edited by Kirislin